Old June 29, 2013, 02:36 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
SteveB is on a distinguished road
Hello from London!

Hi, im Steve from London.

Im and englishman trying to learn Spanish. I have been learning for about 9 months or so, using text books, podcasts and reading things off the net.

I would say in DEFINITELY a beginner still. The text books i use are great but i cant carry them with me (they're quite big) and i work alot so cant use them all the time. I use podcasts in my car and at the gym but im still struggling!

I dont speak enough, thats my problem. I talk to myself all the time but i dont have anyone to talk spanish with.
I also cant seem to grasp direct object and in-direct object pronouns, they totally throw me and when i try to include them i mess up my rhythm lol

Anyway, i thought i would say hello, i will be posting and looking forward to getting help from you all.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 29, 2013, 07:47 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Welcome to the forums, Steve!
Old June 29, 2013, 08:40 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post

Im and englishman trying to learn Spanish. I have been learning for about 9 months or so, using text books, podcasts and reading things off the net.

I would say in DEFINITELY a beginner still. The text books i use are great but i cant carry them with me (they're quite big) and i work alot so cant use them all the time. I use podcasts in my car and at the gym but im still struggling!

I dont speak enough, thats my problem. I talk to myself all the time but i dont have anyone to talk spanish with.
I also cant seem to grasp direct object and in-direct object pronouns, they totally throw me and when i try to include them i mess up my rhythm lol

Anyway, i thought i would say hello, i will be posting and looking forward to getting help from you all.

Hello Steve my name is Luis from Mexico although I don't practice all days as I have made time before, but I have learnt not the enough but I can make a communication with someone in English as I do nowadays.

So I tend to write in this forums sometimes when I have time for me.

I hope someday we can speak together and we can practice our language or skills.

See you later.
Old June 30, 2013, 06:47 AM
Opal

Hey Luis, thanks for posting.

My english is very good (as its my first language) but my understanding and writing in English has always been my strong point. I can understand most accents and know nearly all slang words and phrases throughout the British isles so if you have any questions on English please feel free to ask and i will help out if i can.
Hopefully you will be one of many to help me with Spanish.

I would love to go to Mexico, i was considering going on my next holiday there. Also, your football team are getting better and better!
Old July 02, 2013, 09:14 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Hola Steve from London and benvenido to the forum. I have enjoyed reading your post. You have inspired me to continue my Spanish learning. I love the part about talking to yourself in Spanish. hahahahaha... That's actually one of the best ways to learn Spanish. I do that all the time with Spanish and Italian in my car while driving and around the house. People probably think I'm loco/crazy talking to myself. Here below are some Spanish words and phrases to learn. Notice how it has the fonetic/phonetic pronunciation.

English
Spanish
Pronunciation
Yes/no. Sí/No. see/noh Yes, please/No, thank you. Sí, por favor/No, gracias. see por fah-bor/noh grah-thyas Please. Por favor. por fah-bor Thank you. Gracias. grah-thyas You're welcome. De nada. deh nah-dah Here is/are... Aquí está/están... ah-kee es-tah/es-tan Hello/Good morning. Hola/Buenos días. oh-lah/bweh-nos dee-as Good afternoon/Good evening. Buenas tardes. bweh-nas tar-des Goodbye. Adiós. ah-dyos Good night. Buenas noches. bweh-nas noh-ches How are you? ¿Cómo está? koh-moh es-tah Very well, thanks. Muy bien gracias. mwee byen grah-thyas Excuse me. Disculpe. dees-kool-peh Do you speak English? ¿Habla usted inglés? ah-blah oo-steth een-gles Can you help me? ¿Me puede ayudar? meh poo-eh-deh ah-yoo-dar I don't understand. No entiendo. noh en-tyehn-doh I don't know. No lo sé. noh loh seh Leave me alone. Déjeme en paz. deh-heh-meh en path Please write it down. Por favor, escríbalo. por fah-bor es-kree-bah-loh Sorry. Perdón. pair-don Where? ¿Dónde? don-deh When? ¿Cuándo? kwan-doh Why? ¿Por qué? por keh Who? ¿Quién? kyen Which? ¿Cuál? kwal Where is...? ¿Dónde está...? don-deh es-tah How much is it? ¿Cuánto cuesta? kwan-toh kwes-tah How many? ¿Cuántos? kwan-tos What's that? ¿Qué es eso? keh es eh-soh I'd like. Me gustaría. meh goo-stah-ree-ah I want. Quiero. kyair-oh I'd like it. Me gusta. me goo-stah I don't like it. No me gusta. noh meh goo-stah OK/Agreed. OK/De acuerdo. oh-keh/deh ah-kwair-doh That's fine. Está bien. es-tah byen

Last edited by Villa; July 02, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old July 03, 2013, 06:44 AM
Opal

Villa! Thanks for posting and thanks for the words and phrases, some of them are really useful and i havent heard alot before.

I just drove home from work and was listening to some podcasts talking away to myself, but i had to wind the window down as it was hot and i got some funny looks! Haha

Hopefully you can help me out on here when i have questions.
Are you native in English AND spanish? Or did you have to learn one?
Old January 15, 2014, 12:53 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Villa! Thanks for posting and thanks for the words and phrases, some of them are really useful and i havent heard alot before.

I just drove home from work and was listening to some podcasts talking away to myself, but i had to wind the window down as it was hot and i got some funny looks! Haha

Hopefully you can help me out on here when i have questions.
Are you native in English AND spanish? Or did you have to learn one?
Mamma mia! Just now saw this. Lo siento mucho, Steve.
I had or got to learn Italian first while living in Italy and then
learned Spanish when I came back to California. Went to
school in Mexico too and lived with a Mexican family.

Talking to yourself is one of the fantástico ways of learning
Spanish. Tell people you're not loco just practing your Spanish!
Old January 16, 2014, 03:53 AM
Diamond

ROBINDESBOIS is on a distinguished road
HoLa Steve,
Bienvenido al mundo hispanoparlante. Sigue así que aprenderás rápido. Hay muchos españoles en Londres, con los que puedes mejorar tu español. Si vienes a Madrid, me dices.
HI and welcome to the Spanish speaker world. If you continue doing all the things you said you´ll be able to learn fast. If you want to practice your spoken Spanish, there are lots of Spaniards in London, you should take a chance. If you ever come to Madrid, let me know.
Old January 16, 2014, 10:46 AM
Opal

Hola Robin y gracias for posting.

I have started to try and get contacts on skype (in London and elsewhere) to language exchange but i do feel i am letting some down as i do shift work and I'm not consistent enough but I'm trying as much as i can.

I would love to visit Madrid someday and want to soon. I want to go to a game at the Bernabeau, HALA MADRID!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: