Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Teaching ideas

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old April 19, 2008, 11:39 AM
Emerald

Location: Where the stork dropped me years ago, wish it had done it further north
Native Language: nominally:Spanish, emotionally:Engl
Iris is on a distinguished road
Teaching ideas

I would hate to be stuck in a rut when it comes to teaching English. I am always on the lookout for new ideas and fun activities. Any suggestions?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 19, 2008, 12:14 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Creative new ideas are a must.

One idea is to find some interesting Youtube videos and then using a laptop & video projector, play them for your students. You could pick different themes- politics, music, interviews, pieces of newscasts, etc and have the students watch/listen to the clip and then discuss/answer questions as to the content/try to distinguish what English accent the speaker has etc.

What level are your students and how many do you have?
Old April 19, 2008, 12:25 PM
Emerald

Location: Where the stork dropped me years ago, wish it had done it further north
My students are quite advanced, most of them in their twenties and thirties and I have around 30 per class, though fortunately on a normal day only twenty or so turn up.
Old April 19, 2008, 12:46 PM
Davidísimo

Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
OK, what are a couple of activities that they like to do? If you share that with me, I'll be able to think of some related/similar activities that would be appropriate for their level and interests.
Old April 19, 2008, 12:59 PM
Emerald

They love talking but they find it quite challenging. They also enjoying watching films and series, which we do quite often. Any novel speaking activities?
Old April 19, 2008, 03:40 PM
Filósofo y Poeta

Alfonso will become famous soon enough
Subasta de frases

One of my star games in Spanish classes is the so-called subasta de frases (phrases auction). I use it for the last part of a lesson to fix up what we have learnt. You write some phrases, both correct and incorrect, in some little cards, reflecting the items you have taught. You divide the class into several groups (five or six people use to work), and tell each of them that they have 1000 euros to spend in your phrases auction. You say your are going to read some phrases and they have to make a bid to buy it. If it's correct, they buy because it's correct. If it's not, they buy it because they know how to explain it. You start the auction. You will notice there are groups which rapidly spend all their money, and some other groups that don't spend an euro until the end. None of them will win. It's a game of strategy. Only good investors will win. Of course, at the same time, they are practising numbers. You have to write on the blackboard the spend of each group to notice who is going on bankrupt.
So, when you have finished selling all cards, you start asking owners for the explanation of each phrase. If they are right, they count one point. If not, they count minus one point. You have to buy some sweets for the winners. Good luck!
Old April 19, 2008, 06:12 PM
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfonso View Post
One of my star games in Spanish classes is the so-called subasta de frases (phrases auction). I use it for the last part of a lesson to fix up what we have learnt. You write some phrases, both correct and incorrect, in some little cards, reflecting the items you have taught. You divide the class into several groups (five or six people use to work), and tell each of them that they have 1000 euros to spend in your phrases auction. You say your are going to read some phrases and they have to make a bid to buy it. If it's correct, they buy because it's correct. If it's not, they buy it because they know how to explain it. You start the auction. You will notice there are groups which rapidly spend all their money, and some other groups that don't spend an euro until the end. None of them will win. It's a game of strategy. Only good investors will win. Of course, at the same time, they are practising numbers. You have to write on the blackboard the spend of each group to notice who is going on bankrupt.
So, when you have finished selling all cards, you start asking owners for the explanation of each phrase. If they are right, they count one point. If not, they count minus one point. You have to buy some sweets for the winners. Good luck!
One of my stellar games in Spanish classes is the so-called subasta de frases (phrase auction). I use it for the last part of a lesson to firm up what we have learnt (Am. Eng. learned). You write some phrases, both correct and incorrect ones, on some little cards, reflecting the items you have taught. You divide the class into several groups (five or six people usually works well), and tell each of them that they have 1000 euros to spend in your phrase auction. You say you are going to read some phrases and they have to make a bid to buy it. If it's correct, they buy it because it's correct. If it's not, they buy it because they know how to fix it. You start the auction. You will notice there are groups which rapidly spend all their money, and some other groups that don't spend a euro until the end. Those groups don't win. It's a game of strategy. Only good investors will win. Of course, at the same time, they are practising (Am. Eng. practicing) numbers. You have to write the expenditures of each group on the blackboard to keep track of who is going bankrupt (going in the red).
So, when you have finished selling all the cards, you start asking the owners for an explanation of each phrase. If they are right, they get a point. If not, they lose a point. You have to buy some sweets for the winners. Good luck!

This sounds like a fun idea!

I'll explain the 'phrase auction' correction. In Spanish you designate what type of auction it is by appending de and a plural object. In English you place the singular noun that describes the type prior to the noun being typed. For example:
car auction = subasta de coches
bachelor auction = subasta de solteros
car rental = alquiler de coches
Old April 20, 2008, 02:52 AM
Filósofo y Poeta

Alfonso will become famous soon enough
Thank you very much, Rusty, for your superb corrections. The only one I can't understand is this one: a euro, instead of an euro. I guess it's an exception from the general rule, but I can't know if it is because of the beginning diphthong or because the word euro itself.
Old April 20, 2008, 06:23 AM
Emerald

It's because of the diphthong, you also say a university, a European city...
Old April 20, 2008, 07:27 AM
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris View Post
It's because of the diphthong, you also say a university, a European city...
Iris said it well. That is the reason for the correction.

Tags
didactica, enseñanza, esl, learning, teaching

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: