Old September 21, 2009, 06:50 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Asado!!!

In another thread (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=5388), we have been talking about "asado" - a style of preparing meat in Uruguay (and probably parts of Argentina and Brazil?) Here is a video that I just stumbled upon that shows ASADO!!!

Last edited by laepelba; September 21, 2009 at 06:56 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 21, 2009, 09:39 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
Well done laepelba, now I'm starving

:P Probably parts of Argentina? I think it actually went from Argentina to Uruguay(the way of cooking) or, at least, is a little bit more common in Argentina than as it is in Uruguay (depending which part, where I lived in Uruguay, it wasn' That common for example) But in Argentina is everywhere and is even above tango and fútbol(?), if you are vegetarian and you travel to the interior of the country, you must start eating meat or you will die( I tried)

I don't like it as those man ate, I preferred it more cooked, without any red color.
Old September 21, 2009, 11:59 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
How do you use the word Asado in your country?

Because at least in my country Azado and Asao are used in different states only when you are cooking meat to the carbon.

Then I've curiosity specially in this word because I have understood that the words isn't so utilised in every countries.

Thank you for your advance.
Old September 22, 2009, 03:10 AM
Diamond

In the United States we don't use the word "asado" at all. I only learned the word when I traveled to Uruguay.
Old September 22, 2009, 04:06 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Carne asada
a la parrilla - grilled or barbecued meat
al horno - roasted meat
Old September 22, 2009, 04:41 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
How do you use the word Asado in your country?

Because at least in my country Azado and Asao are used in different states only when you are cooking meat over charcoal.

Then I'm especially curious about this word because I understand that the words isn't so utilised in every country.

Thank you in advance.
Pues sin contexto diría que "asado" sería "roast" en inglés. En el contexto de carne de res en un restaurante argentino diría "barbequed".

Pero, bueno, definir "roast" me parece bastante complicado. "Roast potatoes" es una forma de preparar patatas al horno, pero es imprescindible que se las pinta con aceite antes porque si no resultarán "baken potatoes". "Roast(ed) chestnuts" se cocinan al horno o al carbón. "Roast meat" al horno o al fuego, pero si al carbón sería "barbequed".
Old September 22, 2009, 05:38 AM
Diamond

The word "barbecue" (also written "BBQ") has different connotations depending on the region of the US that you're in. I have never seen BBQ done the way that "asado" is done in Uruguay.

When I lived in New York, "barbecue" was the thing in your backyard upon which you prepared your hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks, etc. Sometimes, someone will say that they are "going to a barbecue" - which means that someone is having a get-together with lots of people coming over to hang out in someone's yard or in a park to barbecue meat and eat food and play lawn games, etc.

Now that I live in the Southeastern US, I have also learned that the word "barbecue" more commonly refers to the actual food. "I'm going to this restaurant in Virginia Beach that has the BEST barbecue!" Or, "My friend Dwight makes yummy barbecue that is quite spicy." Often, that kind of "barbecue" is pulled meat (often, it's pulled pork), which means that the pork is cooked at a low temperature for a very long time in the barbecue sauce, and as it gets very, very tender and falls apart, you use a fork to continue to pull it apart - to give it a shredded sense.

Therefore, when I say that I have never heard the word "asado" in the US at all, I have also never heard of meat prepared that way either.....
Old September 22, 2009, 05:38 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookami View Post
Well done laepelba, now I'm starving

:P Probably parts of Argentina? I think it actually went from Argentina to Uruguay(that way of cooking) or, at least, it's a little bit more common in Argentina than as it is in Uruguay (depending which part, where I lived in Uruguay, it wasn't that common for example) But in Argentina it's everywhere and is even more common than tango and fútbol(?). If you are vegetarian and you travel to the interior of the country, you must start eating meat or you will die( I tried)

I don't like asado cooked rare the way those man eat it. I prefer it more cooked well done.
rare meat=red and bloody
medium rare=pink
well done=browish gray

It seems that meat broiled over fire (barbecue, al carbon, parillada) is a typically American thing. By American I mean from Canada to Tierra del Fuego and I even though I'm fom the Americas, I haven't eaten it in years and don't miss it.
Old September 22, 2009, 10:35 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
Pues sin contexto diría que "asado" sería "roast" en inglés. En el contexto de carne de res en un restaurante argentino diría "barbequed".

Pero, bueno, definir "roast" me parece bastante complicado. "Roast potatoes" es una forma de preparar patatas al horno, pero es imprescindible que se las pinta con aceite antes porque si no resultarán "baken potatoes". "Roast(ed) chestnuts" se cocinan al horno o al carbón. "Roast meat" al horno o al fuego, pero si al carbón sería "barbequed".
Thank you for the corrections.

And well I'm specially curiosity in a word that you said before ( Over charcoal ). Really I don't understand this context, now here in my country as I told you before is used when you are cooking meat in a gridiron, also there's a potatoes made with cheese in and sausage that it really are very delicious.

Las papas que te comento son envueltas con papel aluminio, y bueno adentro la papa con queso cortado a la mitad y mantequilla, luego ya envueltas las pones a azar en el carbon, despues de 20 minutos aprox. La patata es lista con sabor a mantequilla y el quedo derretido.

Ya me dio hambre.

I'm hungry already.
Old September 22, 2009, 11:15 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
En chile se dice hacer un asado o una parrillada.

Recién el domingo hize una pequeña parrilladita. Tuvimos unos chorizitos italianos ( no se puede conseguir chorizos o longanizas nuestras acá), unas costillitas de chancho, vacío, chunchules (milktripe), mollejas (sweetbread), y prietas (blood sausages).

Necesito bajar de peso, y a este rítmo, capaz que me de otro ataque cardíaco antes de hacerlo.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: