Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Technical things

Best Spanish Keyboards for North America?

Technical "how-to" issues concerning using this site and language learning in general.

Old June 14, 2010, 01:28 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
rpgray is on a distinguished road
Best Spanish Keyboards for North America?

Hi,

I live in the United States and would like to buy a keyboard that has premade keyes ready for Spanish characters that are not commonly used in English.

Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Ryan

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 14, 2010, 09:42 PM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
wafflestomp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgray View Post
Hi,

I live in the United States and would like to buy a keyboard that has premade keyes ready for Spanish characters that are not commonly used in English.

Thanks,

Ryan
I suggest using the US International Keyboard setup that comes preinstalled with Windows. "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306560" those are the instructions on how to activate it.

It's what I use and at first it's annoying but eventually you get used to it... I love it personally it's great.
Old June 15, 2010, 05:49 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
Tarential is on a distinguished road
I don't know if anyone else might be interested in this, but I type on the Dvorak keyboard layout. There is a Dvorak-international version but it is far too complex for just Spanish, so I created my own version of it for use with X11/xkb. It is just the regular Dvorak keyboard layout using AltGr for Spanish diacritic marks (acute accent above aoeui, tilde above n) and the reversal of the exclamation/question marks.

You can download the keyboard layout map here:
http://personal.aparadine.com/sidux/us.esdv

Move it to /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/us or /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us (depending on your distribution).

I hope this helps at least one other person because frankly it was a headache to figure out how to do it (most of the tutorials available are extremely out of date).
Old June 15, 2010, 06:23 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Norwegian
Vikingo is on a distinguished road
I made this about a year ago, after having tried different options for Windows, including the US international keyboard, which didn't suit my needs. The (somewhat succinct) instructions appear when you run it, and you'll have your Spanish symbols within 10 seconds from clicking.

It's what I use personally, but like Tarential, I like to be as effective as I can... heh heh.. did you know that Colemak is the new Dvorak, Tarential? Just half-kidding, but my program works with any keyboard layout.
Old June 15, 2010, 06:32 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,

Ryan
You only need install the software from ( Control Panel in the regional and language options ) there you will can change the keyboard configuration and so you can choice the language of the keyboard that you need installed in your computer.

I hope this information can be useful for you.
Old July 07, 2010, 04:33 PM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks,

Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflestomp View Post
I suggest using the US International Keyboard setup that comes preinstalled with Windows. "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306560" those are the instructions on how to activate it.

It's what I use and at first it's annoying but eventually you get used to it... I love it personally it's great.
This is what I use. It's pretty easy, only requiring a little time to learn it.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: