Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Learning English with videos

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old December 02, 2009, 08:22 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Learning English with videos

A friend of mine has sent me this link with English videos. You can watch them subtitled:

http://www.lingual.net/lingualproductitems/

She has sent me also this link where a man advises to throw away your grammar books. I've found it funny, but what I like is his accent: he speaks so clear...., I can understand everything. Why don't all English speakers speak so clear?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old December 02, 2009, 03:16 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
A friend of mine has sent me this link with English videos. You can watch them subtitled:

http://www.lingual.net/lingualproductitems/

She has sent me also this link where a man advises to throw away your grammar books. I've found it funny, but what I like is his accent: he speaks so clear...., I can understand everything. Why don't all English speakers speak so clear?
Because he is american?

ouch!
Old December 02, 2009, 05:51 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
That man speaks very clear, I could to understand at most everything he said.

Irmamar. Thank you for the contribution, I hope you can set more videos about the learning in English that it really fault.

It was useful.
Old December 03, 2009, 01:44 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
I don't know his nationality, I guess he is British

In the first link you'll find a lot of short videos in English. I was looking for a similar page in Spanish, but I haven't found it . I think the videos are interesting because they are very short and you can choose to watch them subtitled or not (although they are not so clear as the one from youtube).
Old December 03, 2009, 02:18 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I don't know his nationality, I guess he is British

In the first link you'll find a lot of short videos in English. I was looking for a similar page in Spanish, but I haven't found it . I think the videos are interesting because they are very short and you can choose to watch them subtitled or not (although they are not so clear as the one from youtube).
No, he is definitely not British. He is definitely American. In fact, I would say that he is not from the Southeastern US, either. He is speaking a little bit slowly and annunciating his words distinctly. I try to remember to do that when I teach my "English as a Second Language" Algebra class............

By the way - I have said it before and I'll say it again: These videos at the University of Texas website are FABULOUS for English speakers wanting to improve their Spanish listening skills. http://www.laits.utexas.edu/spe/index.html
Old December 03, 2009, 02:52 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
No, he is definitely not British. He is definitely American. In fact, I would say that he is not from the Southeastern US, either.
Californian?

Looks like I was right: his website gives a company address in San Francisco.
Old December 03, 2009, 02:59 AM
Diamond

You may be right. Californians tend to have a "generic" accent. I'm from New York (!!), so my "filter" is off.
Old December 03, 2009, 05:42 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No, he is definitely not British. He is definitely American. In fact, I would say that he is not from the Southeastern US, either. He is speaking a little bit slowly and enunciating his words distinctly. I try to remember to do that when I teach my "English as a Second Language" Algebra class............

By the way - I have said it before and I'll say it again: These videos at the University of Texas website are FABULOUS for English speakers wanting to improve their Spanish listening skills. http://www.laits.utexas.edu/spe/index.html
Even then, when you find a person easy to understand, there comes along another one who you don't understand anything.

Persevere. That's all I can say.

Also, when you are at the point to tell apart some accents or drawls then it is time for you to read aloud while recording your voice and listening to that recording in order to soften your own accent.
Old December 03, 2009, 05:43 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You may be right. Californians tend to have a "generic" accent. I'm from New York (!!), so my "filter" is off.
I don't think his accent is generic: I think the vowels sound Californian, but I'm not a phonologist so I can't give any detail.
Old December 03, 2009, 06:20 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Even then, when you find a person easy to understand, there comes along another one who you don't understand anything.

Persevere. That's all I can say.

Also, when you are at the point to tell apart some accents or drawls then it is time for you to read aloud while recording your voice and listening to that recording in order to soften your own accent.
I really should start recording myself to work on my accent. My Peruvian friend says that my consonants are not soft enough. (Although she is the same person who says "arriba" and I can't hear a "b" sound AT ALL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
I don't think his accent is generic: I think the vowels sound Californian, but I'm not a phonologist so I can't give any detail.
Like I said ... my "filter" is off! My defense is my New Yorker upbringing.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: