Old August 16, 2012, 10:26 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English
caliber1 is on a distinguished road
Apodos/nicknames

We are looking to hire some people in our shop and I got a lead on a guy who is friends with a bunch of guys in the shop. My partner called him and handed me the phone. He had heard of me so I answered saying I was "borrego". That is what I am called in the shop more than I am called by my real name so naturally I answer to it and as you can see I make the mistake of referring to myself as "borrego". So. . . . what are everyone's nicknames?

Everyone at work has been given one it seems and I don't know if it is a cultural thing, but they are quite humorous.

PS-I grew my hair out one summer and my hair gets curly when it gets long so from that came my apodo

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 16, 2012, 11:53 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Mmmm...

Well, "borrego" means "lamb, young sheep" but also "naive and innocent person"

As long as they don't use it in the second sense, it should be fine... but I personally would not like to be called such...

My close friends call me "conejito" (little rabbit) because I am pretty fast, running around and doing things as fast as I can... sometimes "conejazo" if I do a big thing... (I prefer the second...)
Old August 17, 2012, 01:27 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
"Dances With Wolves". They wouldn't ask what was his name. You are part of a tribe only when the tribe gives you a tribal name. That's the "cultural thing" behind all of this, and it's non specific to Spanish nor Mexican immigration in the US.
Old August 17, 2012, 06:20 AM
Diamond

Elaina will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliber1 View Post
We are looking to hire some people in our shop and I got a lead on a guy who is friends with a bunch of guys in the shop. My partner called him and handed me the phone. He had heard of me so I answered saying I was "borrego". That is what I am called in the shop more than I am called by my real name so naturally I answer to it and as you can see I make the mistake of referring to myself as "borrego". So. . . . what are everyone's nicknames?

Everyone at work has been given one it seems and I don't know if it is a cultural thing, but they are quite humorous.

PS-I grew my hair out one summer and my hair gets curly when it gets long so from that came my apodo
So you have been admitted to the "pack".... what an honor. This means you are considered a part of the group.

I don't have a nickname but I think the nickname thing is more a male ritual and not the females.

Old August 17, 2012, 09:19 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Just a cultural note: Some social groups see nicknames as offensive and many people feels uncomfortable to be called something else than their name (even the usual ones associated to their own names --like "Chucho" for "Jesús", "Cuco(a)" for Refugio", "Paco/Pancho" for "Francisco", etc.), and there was a time when a nickname could be a reason for a big fight. Younger people seem more opened to the use of nicknames, and some people even ask you to call them their nicknames. However, with some older people, it's better to ask what you can call them.

@Elaina: You're right that it's more a male thing among friends, but women tend to use a lot of nicknames in their family environment or with their closest friends.

· La Chiquis viene mañana a comer. (Probably from "Chiquita" and most probably a family nickname that passed through her closest friends.)
· Yoyo, no juegues con la comida, mi amor. (Whatever the name of the child, the nickname will follow him all his life.)
· Gracias por llamarme, Muñe. Te mando un beso. (Daughter, sister, best friend, and the nickname even shortened from "Muñeca".)

Women also tend to shorten the names of people around them (or use the standard forms of endearment for their names), even if they don't have a close relationship with them:
· "Lorena" becomes "Lore"
· Vanessa -> Vane
· Luis/Luisa -> Güicho/Güicha (not shorter, but more "affectionate")
· José -> Pepe
· Alma -> Almita (or something like that)
· Marta -> Martita
Old August 17, 2012, 11:02 AM
Diamond

Elaina will become famous soon enough
I will have to disagree with you with the above names....those are mostly "pet names" and not nicknames. Don't you think?

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; August 17, 2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Deleted long quote.
Old August 17, 2012, 02:02 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
I stand corrected, thank you.

Most women I know are not prone to nicknames, but to petnames.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: