Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

I have hit the wall...

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old October 09, 2008, 10:07 AM
Pearl

ElDanés is on a distinguished road
I have hit the wall...

Hello!

I've been learning Spanish for now about two months, and I have felt like I always had something to do. Lots of grammar to go through. I have learned to conjugate and use verbs, adjectives, nouns and much more, but I find it hard to actually use all this, like in a real conversation. I only know the theory.

I don't know anyone who speak Spanish, or who I could talk to in real life about Spanish, and when I'm on the internet I find it hard to jump into a Spanish conversation/discussion, like here on Tomísimo.

Do you have any suggestions?

I have thought about starting watching Spanish movies (with or without subtitles?), but I don't know how effective this is? I have also thought about just using my Spanish, no matter how bad it is, and let you guys correct me. How effective would this be?

I will start having Spanish at my school after Christmas, so I believe it will become a bit easier to find something to do with Spanish at that time, but till then, what should I do? I have really hit the wall.

Thanks in advance.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old October 09, 2008, 10:14 AM
Ruby

Native Language: English
geeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDanés View Post
I have also thought about just using my Spanish, no matter how bad it is, and let you guys correct me. How effective would this be?
This is what I have done and I feel it has helped me a lot. We are quite lucky to have people on these forums who will take the time to explain things.
Old October 09, 2008, 10:21 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Well, In my opinion you must to see some movies with subtitles, if you are able of understand the Spanish then you only see movies without subtitles, because I have made the same that you say, but it's hard sometime of understand, because when you don't domineer the language it make hardest still of speak and listen, I give you a council, if you have the opportunity of speak with someone who knows Spanish is better, because at least, in the conversation the person, you friend or family or whoever, she or he cans correct to you, if you make some mistake, instead if you are watching the movie anybody will cans correct to you, this is my own view point, I don't know if you can understand me, but I believe that this is a good idea.

A lot luck.
Old October 09, 2008, 10:21 AM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeper
This is what I have done and I feel it has helped me a lot. We are quite lucky to have people on these forums who will take the time to explain things.
Oh, thank you a lot for your comment. Good to hear about other's experience.
Maybe I should really consider doing so then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo
Well, In my opinion you must to see some movies with subtitles, if you are able of understand the Spanish then you only see movies without subtitles, because I have made the same that you say, but it's hard sometime of understand, because when you don't domineer the language it make hardest still of speak and listen, I give you a council, if you have the opportunity of speak with someone who knows Spanish is better, because at least, in the conversation the person, you friend or family or whoever, she or he cans correct to you, if you make some mistake, instead if you are watching the movie anybody will cans correct to you, this is my own view point, I don't know if you can understand me, but I believe that this is a good idea.
I was just thinking that watching a movie without subtitles could help me logically pick up understandment of Spanish. Like, if I know certain words and constructions, I believe I would be able to pick up the meaning of a sentence, even though I may not know some words. And if a word, which I really don't know repeats, I could look it up.

I don't know if this is true. It's just a thought I had.

Last edited by ElDanés; October 09, 2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old October 09, 2008, 10:23 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Yeah, Gepeer is right.
Old October 09, 2008, 11:51 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Lay your Spanish on us, ElDanés.
Whenever you post something, try writing some things in Spanish. No seas tímido.
Old October 09, 2008, 02:14 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDanés View Post
I have also thought about just using my Spanish, no matter how bad it is, and let you guys correct me. How effective would this be?
I think that would be pretty effective. The one thing it would be lacking is pronunciation, but Spanish is almost completely phonetic in that it is pronounced as it is spelled.
Old October 09, 2008, 11:10 PM
Pearl

Thanks for the replies guys!

I didn't know it could be so effective just using Spanish, even though it may be wrong.

I will do that in the future then.
Old October 10, 2008, 03:10 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
Try reading comics, magazines and novies with subtitles.
Then come here and ask fot meanings.
You can also write in spanish here or mix english and spanish.
saludos

Last edited by sosia; October 10, 2008 at 03:13 AM.
Old October 10, 2008, 04:33 AM
Ruby

ruby is on a distinguished road
Hola

I moved to Spain in January and did not speak any Spanish, I had a dictionary and I wanted to learn. So I walked around the village where I live and spoke a little each day - The one thing I have found with the Spanish is they want to help you, the people don't laugh if I make mistakes (or maybe sometimes if it is a bad one but then they laugh with me) I joined this forum which is helping me so much but I am like you - hitting the priverbial 'brick wall' What I need I think is a Spanish person who wants to learn English so we can go for coffees and shop and talk etc. But I have this forum (time difference a little difficult sometimes) and I watch España Directo (Spanish local news with spanish sub titles) I listen to Canal Fiesta Radio - the jingles help with numbers and pronunciation and the music. Keep trying is what this forum has helped me with. Good luck and don't give up !

Ruby

Tags
brick wall

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: