Old March 31, 2009, 08:31 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
[...]

You guys ARE talking about my learning Spanish fast, right? Or do you mean that I'm learning y'all's personalities fast? Hmmm.... Well, Thank you................

[...]
You're indeed learning Spanish fast and that's just great, but this time I was rather referring to your "mimicking" Hernán's teasing style.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 01, 2009, 04:45 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Español
Ambarina is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I am sometimes annoyed with the arrogance that many (most?) USAmerican's have. I guess that many people around the world are very proud of their own nations/nationalities. But for some reason, American pride sometimes seems to come off "different" in a way that I cannot put my finger upon.
It seems that "pride" you've just described is common to the British as well.
My personal experience is that I was born and brought up in the UK, speak like a Brit. yet my surname is not. When looking for a job in the City (London) it wasn't uncommon to receive a request to call the HR department before an interview just to assure them that I didn't have an accent!
Outside London the initial reaction on introductions was "Oh! You speak English so well! Enough said.
Old April 01, 2009, 07:08 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
Yes, the official name is Estados Unidos Mexicanos, not México.
Oh, OK. Because I heard it and didn't see it in writing I quoted it incorrectly. It's Estados Unidos Mexicanos.
I still refer to myself as estadosunidense on forms that have to be filled out when entering a Spanish speaking country where nacionalidad requested (not that anyone looks at those things anyway). If some asks me what my nationality is in Spanish, I'll say estadosunidense. If the response is "o, americano" I'll say, "tambien americano".
Old April 01, 2009, 08:06 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
So, let me stir up the pot a bit. Especially since I'm going to be traveling in Spanish speaking countries this summer... When people native to a Latin American country are speaking amongst themselves, and they say "americano/a" ... they're typically referring to someone from the Western Hemisphere, right? North or South America? But if they specifically use the term estadosunidense, they are referring to someone from the USA, with the implication that the person is Anglo or gringo?

I am well aware that my "gringo-ness" will be apparent when I'm in Lima and Uruguay this summer. But I really want to avoid the ignorant/arrogant errors that so many gringo's make when interacting with cultures abroad....
Old April 01, 2009, 09:29 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So, let me stir up the pot a bit. Especially since I'm going to be traveling in Spanish speaking countries this summer... When people native to a Latin American country are speaking amongst themselves, and they say "americano/a" ... they're typically referring to someone from the Western Hemisphere, right? North or South America? But if they specifically use the term estadosunidense, they are referring to someone from the USA, with the implication that the person is Anglo or gringo?

I am well aware that my "gringo-ness" will be apparent when I'm in Lima and Uruguay this summer. But I really want to avoid the ignorant/arrogant errors that so many gringo's make when interacting with cultures abroad....
Estadounidense will do nicely. (Without the "s")

Usually nobody speaks of americanos, unless the conversation drifts to talk about the Americas. So, yes. You are correct. And do not worry, I am sure that if you inflict some unintentional damage, people will steer you in the right direction with an appropriate recommendation.

Do not be afraid to stick you foot in the mouth... it is only human. And we Latins love humans.

Someone, Poli or Tacuba, mentioned that Mexicans have the tendency to place nicknames to people... flaco , gringo etc...

Let me assure you that is not only Mexican...

I think all of Latin America. I am not sure about Spain, though... Sosia or Bolboreta will be able to clear this.

Last edited by chileno; April 01, 2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old April 01, 2009, 09:37 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
He aquí lo que dice el DRAE. Note the spelling.

estadounidense

1. adj. Natural de los Estados Unidos de América. U. t. c. s.
2. adj. Perteneciente o relativo a este país.

Real Academia Española © Todos los derechos reservados

Based on this, people from both hemispheres are referring to a citizen of the United States of America, or something from or related to the USA, when they say estadounidense. I've seen arguments to the contrary, but if a dictionary were consulted to resolve any doubt, the term focuses on only one place.
Old April 01, 2009, 10:41 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
He aquí lo que dice el DRAE. Note the spelling.

estadounidense

1. adj. Natural de los Estados Unidos de América. U. t. c. s.
2. adj. Perteneciente o relativo a este país.

Based on this, people from both hemispheres are referring to a citizen of the United States of America, or something from or related to the USA, when they say estadounidense. I've seen arguments to the contrary, but if a dictionary were consulted to resolve any doubt, the term focuses on only one place.
However, you can see how a current of thinking can lead to a seemingly wrong entry in such a prestigious dictionary of a language.

The entry makes the reference to how the word it is utilized and accepted. Now, if you examine the word by itself: Estadounidense

Logically I could refer to a Mexican also. Right. The official name of Mexico is Estados Unidos Mexicanos.

Now RAE also defines norteamericano:

norteamericano, na.

1. adj. Natural de América del Norte. U. t. c. s.

2. adj. Perteneciente o relativo a esta parte de América.

3. adj. estadounidense. Apl. a pers., u. t. c. s.

So it is based only on usage and not logic. :-)

My question was based on logic, as to why Americans state that they are Americans, referring to this country and not the continent. :-)

I know it is a notion that not many people are readily to accept, but it is the cold fact.

The same with the word football....

Oh no, there we go again....Angelica please stop meeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
Old April 01, 2009, 12:40 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
[...] Oh no, there we go again....Angelica please stop meeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
Como si se pudiera.

It is true that the official name of Mexico is "Estados Unidos Mexicanos", but the nationality is called "mexicano" and nothing more.

It is a simple fact that many Mexicans consider that it's unfair that the name "norteamericano" is used exclusively by US-Americans, and it's the same about most Latin Americans who aren't happy that seemingly only the USA citizens can be called "americanos". So to avoid confusions and hurting sensitive spirits, I usually prefer "estadounidense" and "US-American" as they're simple and clearer to me.

I rarely join campaigns so it's better to stick to the principle that the meaning of words is given by the context, the one who speaks and his/her intention. So any word one uses can be as offensive or as neutral as one intends it to be.
Old April 01, 2009, 12:59 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post

I rarely join campaigns so it's better to stick to the principle that the meaning of words is given by the context, the one who speaks and his/her intention. So any word one uses can be as offensive or as neutral as one intends it to be.
... if one keeps in mind the audience and the possibility of offense.......
Old April 01, 2009, 01:11 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
... if one keeps in mind the audience and the possibility of offense.......
That's true. Remember Romeo's fatal statement "What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

He's right of course, but he got into trouble for his reasoning.

Tags
efe, etymology, gingo

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: