Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Subjunctive mood?

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old November 11, 2012, 08:39 PM
Opal

kisatchie is on a distinguished road
Subjunctive mood?

I'm writing because I am STRUGGLING with a 100 word paragraph I have to write in subjunctive mood for spanish class.

The subject is "things i want to do after college."

I've been working on this for 2 hours and all I have is:

"Ojalá yo saque buenas notas este semestre. Mi padre espera que me gradúe en mayo próximo. No es seguro que alguien me va a dar un trabajo. "

I want to say stuff about me and my boyfriend like, "I hope my boyfriend proposes to me" - I have no idea how to say that. And "We want a house with a garden" .... etc. I have to fill out the rest so its' 100 words. But it all has to be subjunctive. I am kind of going crazy here. I'm not asking anyone to do the work for me, I just need some guidelines about how to talk about myself in subjunctive mood , or how I can talk about things that other people want me to do, stuff like that. I need a pattern to follow.

Thanks in advance!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 11, 2012, 10:22 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisatchie View Post
... I've been working on this for 2 hours and all I have is:

"Ojalá yo saque buenas notas este semestre. Mi padre espera que me gradúe en mayo próximo. No es seguro que alguien me va a dar un trabajo."
Welcome to the forums!

What you have written so far has just a couple of errors, which I marked above. To say 'in May', use a definite article with the month. The dependent clause of the last sentence should contain a subjunctive mood verb in it, since the main clause contains 'no es seguro que'.

Talking about things you hope will happen are always eligible for the subjunctive mood. Your second sentence used 'esperar'. You can write many more sentences using that verb. If 'que' follows a verb of volition, the verb in the dependent clause will be cast in the subjunctive unless there is no change in subject.
For example,
Espero graduarme. (I hope to graduate.)
Espero que me gradúe. (I hope I graduate.)
Mi padre espera que me gradúe. (My father hopes I graduate.)

Use other verbs of volition, like 'desear que', 'pedir que', 'querer que', 'preferir que', or express emotions, like 'sentirse que', 'lamentar que' 'estar contento/-a de que', etc.
Use set phrases that always take the subjunctive, like 'para que', 'antes (de) que', 'ojalá (que)', 'con tal (de) que', 'a fin de que', 'a menos que', 'sin que', etc.
Use any of the following: 'dudar que', 'es importante que', 'es necesario que'

Search our site for many more examples of when to use the subjunctive.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: