Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Other Languages > Other Languages

You missed the boat if you didn't learn Spanish if you're trying to learn Italian

Being the language lovers that we are... A place to talk about, or write in languages other than Spanish and English.

Closed Thread

Old October 17, 2009, 09:12 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
You missed the boat if you didn't learn Spanish if you're trying to learn Italian

As you know or may not know I just came back from Italy. When I first got to Vicenza, Italy I stayed with an American couple who are in the military in Vicenza. They have been in Italy for over two years with one more year to go. Neither one of them speaks Italian. They live in an all Italian neighborhood. Nobody speaks Englsih. I know the neighbors are friendly because I spoke to them. They have Italian TV and radio. The wife claims she doesn't really want to learn Italian
and the husband says he wants to learn and has been trying to learn but just can't seem to learn Italian. They both
mentioned that the Spanish speakers learn Italian while the English speakers are left to flounder. LOL!

(It's comical that the wife claims she knows more Italian than the husband who is trying to learn Italian while the wife isn't.
She actually makes fun of him. Says she can order food in a ristorante while he can't. etc. etc.)

As if all this wasn't bad enough they would at times be very nagative about Italian culture etc. etc. Needless to say I couldn't get away from them fast enough. That negativity can rub off on you. Don't hang around Americans in Italy. Go total immersion. I did.

In my case I lived in Italy for two years, learned Italian and then came back to California and learned Spanish eventually getting my master's
degree in Spanish. All because of my Italian background. It would not have happened if I didn't know Italian. My knowledge
of Italian made it easy to learn Spanish plus my Italian background gave me the motivation to learn Spanish since there were
no Italian speakers around. When I would speak to Spanish speakers I felt like I was back home in Italy. After many many years
of not speaking Italian I started to study Italian 4 years ago. Because I had the Spanish it was easy to go back to Italian.

Over the years I have met many Italians nationals(not Italian Americans) here in California who learned Spanish. Infatti I have
yet to meet one native Italian speaker here in California that did not learn Spanish. They usually learn Spanish first and then English.

At the Bed and Breakfast place I stayed at in Vicenza the owner who only speaks Italian says he has no trouble understanding
a Mexican friend who stays with him every year. The Mexican friend speaks Spanish to him and he answers in Italian. He has
clients from Spain and says the samething about them. Also one time while I was speaking on the owners phone I spoke in Spanish
thinking he wouldn't understand. After I got off the phone he said he had understood every single thing I said. We laughed and laughed about that.

So if you're an English speaker trying to learn Italian and had the chance to learn Spanish and didn't you really missed the boat.
Or if you have a chance to learn Spanish and aren't learning it you're missing the boat. Not talking about just taking Spanish in
school. I'm talking about getting out and speaking Spanish with Spanish speakers. Also watch Spanish television and listen to Spanish
radio. Here in California we have the oportunity to do this. In many places in the U.S. you have the opportunity to learn Spanish.

English is not a Latin language but even still English vocabulary is about 50 to 60% Latin. So now just imagine Spanish which is a Latin language.

Phonologically, Spanish and Italian are very similar, so that a Spanish speaking person could effortlessly pronounce Italian, while
you cannot say the same for French for example. Italian and Spanish are closer to each other than say Italian and French yet Italian
is closer to French than Spanish is a proposito.

Last edited by Villa; October 17, 2009 at 09:16 AM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old October 17, 2009, 09:24 AM
Diamond

ROBINDESBOIS is on a distinguished road
VEry nice story, I love it. How do you translate into spanish the following :
That negativity can rub off on you
Old October 17, 2009, 10:18 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
English is not a Latin language but even still English vocabulary is about 50 to 60% Latin. So now just imagine Spanish which is a Latin language.
When learning Spanish, I thought knowing some Latin would be useful. Unfortunately, classical Latin vocabulary is not much use, because a lot of Spanish vocabulary is from Vulgar Latin. For example you might think that the Spanish for farm would come from Latin ager. But no, granja from Medieval Latin granica, or finca from Vulgar Latin, and so on.
Old October 17, 2009, 06:12 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
When I don't learn easily the words in English, I feel that was working during that time in background already that I didn't endeavor the sufficient for arrive to my goal.

Nice story is and well it made me to think about my endeavor daily in this life.
Old October 18, 2009, 12:52 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
When learning Spanish, I thought knowing some Latin would be useful. Unfortunately, classical Latin vocabulary is not much use, because a lot of Spanish vocabulary is from Vulgar Latin. For example you might think that the Spanish for farm would come from Latin ager. But no, granja from Medieval Latin granica, or finca from Vulgar Latin, and so on.
But you can find words as "agrario" or "agricultura"

I find this is a sad story. It's a pity they don't want to learn Italian. And what's wrong with Italian culture? Creo que no entienden nada
Old October 18, 2009, 11:17 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
But you can find words as "agrario" or "agricultura"

I find this is a sad story. It's a pity they don't want to learn Italian. And what's wrong with Italian culture? Creo que no entienden nada
Only 9% of native English speaking Americans can speak any king of forgein language other than English. That includes all the languages there are in the world from Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Italian, French and so on. Americans just have a rotten attitude when it comes to learning other languages and dealing with other cultures. Es la pura verdad que nadie puede negar. Lo siento mucho pero asi es.

Europeans on the other hand speak other languages more. For example in Italy 40% of the people can speak another language and that's consider low for a European countries. Switzerland has 4 official languages. 53% of people in Spain
speak another language.

Last edited by Villa; October 18, 2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old October 18, 2009, 11:43 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Only 9% of native English speaking Americans can speak any king of forgein language other than English...Americans just have a rotten attitude when it comes to learning other languages and dealing with other cultures....Europeans on the other hand speak other languages more
For most of Europe, I agree. I have no figures, but I think the English are as bad as the Americans.
Old October 18, 2009, 02:10 PM
Emerald

Native Language: British English
brute is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
For most of Europe, I agree. I have no figures, but I think the English are as bad as the Americans.
Estoy totalmente de acuerdo. Pienso que es porque Gran Britaña es una isla. También los ingleses hablan inglés, la idioma la mas hablada en el mundo. Yo hablo un poco de muchas lenguas ¡pero no soy típico!
Old October 18, 2009, 04:31 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
@brute: El inglés no es el idioma más hablado del mundo. El chino mandarín ocupa el primer lugar, seguido del español y del inglés. Otras fuentes dicen que el Hindi precede al español.
Old October 18, 2009, 07:49 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As you know or may not know I just came back from Italy. When I first got to Vicenza, Italy I stayed with an American couple who are in the military in Vicenza. They have been in Italy for over two years with one more year to go. Neither one of them speaks Italian. They live in an all Italian neighborhood. Nobody speaks Englsih. I know the neighbors are friendly because I spoke to them. They have Italian TV and radio. The wife claims she doesn't really want to learn Italian
and the husband says he wants to learn and has been trying to learn but just can't seem to learn Italian. They both
mentioned that the Spanish speakers learn Italian while the English speakers are left to flounder. LOL!

(It's comical that the wife claims she knows more Italian than the husband who is trying to learn Italian while the wife isn't.
She actually makes fun of him. Says she can order food in a ristorante while he can't. etc. etc.)

As if all this wasn't bad enough they would at times be very nagative about Italian culture etc. etc. Needless to say I couldn't get away from them fast enough. That negativity can rub off on you. Don't hang around Americans in Italy. Go total immersion. I did.

In my case I lived in Italy for two years, learned Italian and then came back to California and learned Spanish eventually getting my master's
degree in Spanish. All because of my Italian background. It would not have happened if I didn't know Italian. My knowledge
of Italian made it easy to learn Spanish plus my Italian background gave me the motivation to learn Spanish since there were
no Italian speakers around. When I would speak to Spanish speakers I felt like I was back home in Italy. After many many years
of not speaking Italian I started to study Italian 4 years ago. Because I had the Spanish it was easy to go back to Italian.

Over the years I have met many Italians nationals(not Italian Americans) here in California who learned Spanish. Infatti I have
yet to meet one native Italian speaker here in California that did not learn Spanish. They usually learn Spanish first and then English.

At the Bed and Breakfast place I stayed at in Vicenza the owner who only speaks Italian says he has no trouble understanding
a Mexican friend who stays with him every year. The Mexican friend speaks Spanish to him and he answers in Italian. He has
clients from Spain and says the samething about them. Also one time while I was speaking on the owners phone I spoke in Spanish
thinking he wouldn't understand. After I got off the phone he said he had understood every single thing I said. We laughed and laughed about that.

So if you're an English speaker trying to learn Italian and had the chance to learn Spanish and didn't you really missed the boat.
Or if you have a chance to learn Spanish and aren't learning it you're missing the boat. Not talking about just taking Spanish in
school. I'm talking about getting out and speaking Spanish with Spanish speakers. Also watch Spanish television and listen to Spanish
radio. Here in California we have the oportunity to do this. In many places in the U.S. you have the opportunity to learn Spanish.

Phonologically, Spanish and Italian are very similar, so that a Spanish speaking person could effortlessly pronounce Italian, while
you cannot say the same for French for example. Italian and Spanish are closer to each other than say Italian and French yet Italian
is closer to French than Spanish is a proposito.

interesting story
Closed Thread

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: