Old May 08, 2008, 01:51 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
Translator programs- Are we obsolete?

An interesting article (in spanish) saying that a program, translating in tree different directions (each word alone, as text and as conversation) has achieved good performance.
http://www.tendencias21.net/Crean-un...ble_a2248.html
It's worthy to learn another language??
I think yes, but perhaps in the future I change my mind.....
saludos
Old May 08, 2008, 05:40 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosia View Post
An interesting article (in spanish) saying that a program, translating in tree different directions (each word alone, as text and as conversation) has achieved good performance.
http://www.tendencias21.net/Crean-un...ble_a2248.html
It's worthy to learn another language??
I think yes, but perhaps in the future I change my mind.....
saludos
A couple of corrections:
An interesting article (in Spanish) saying that a program, translating at three different stages (each word alone, as text and as conversation) has achieved good performance. ... Is it worthwhile to learn another language??
I think so, but perhaps in the future I'll change my mind.

This is a very interesting article indeed. I would love to see a "machine translation" that knocks the socks off what we have now. Perhaps we'll see that happen, if this latest technology turns out to be as good as they say it is. However, I don't personally believe that a machine will ever be able to replace us translators. We will always be needed.
You can't take the human element out of language.

Last edited by Rusty; May 08, 2008 at 05:46 AM.
Old May 08, 2008, 12:54 PM
Davidísimo

Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Machine translation is a very interesting subject. But the complexities of language are still too much for them currently.
Old May 08, 2008, 01:48 PM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Thanks for the corrections, Rusty.
I wanted to say "en tres direcciones" meaning they translate it in three different ways and then compare.
"At three different stages"/"a tres niveles" sound like it translate it, then translate the translated and so on.
How can you say that?
saludos
Old May 08, 2008, 02:51 PM
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sosia View Post
Thanks for the corrections, Rusty.
I wanted to say "en tres direcciones" meaning they translate it in three different ways and then compare.
"At three different stages"/"a tres niveles" sound like it translate it, then translate the translated and so on.
How can you say that?
saludos
Three different ways is what I was going to say, but that can be understood as each way being a complete task (like you can choose which of the three you'll use). If we say stages, it is clear that each of the three ways will be employed to complete the translation task. So, the word-for-word translation is fed into the text translation tool, and its output is fed into the conversation tool, which finishes up the translation. I figure that no one of the tools is a stand-alone device and that each product's output would be used somehow to create the final translation. If I've misunderstood how the tools work together, it is because there wasn't enough information in the article for me to get a clear understanding.

I hope their product works well, because the machine translatons we have now are extremely limited.

Last edited by Rusty; May 08, 2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old May 09, 2008, 10:02 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

thanks for the explanation Rusty. I understand why you have translated it this way.
Saludos
Old February 20, 2011, 05:59 AM
Pearl

Awaken is on a distinguished road
There is still a long way to go for machines to be able to translate like a human. For those in the United States, they just did a man vs. machine battle on Jeopardy. The machine won. The impressive part was that it was able to interpret natural language questions and not just simple questions. BUT. The computer was a huge super computer that is purely designed for that purpose with years of work on English.

The things I am interested to see get better are things like Google Conversation:
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/201...translate.html

In this case, getting it close would be good enough in many cases. Maybe in another 5 years? Maybe 10?
Old February 20, 2011, 11:41 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
You're right with respect if is worthy to learn other language in this moment, really I appreciate the valor in each person in want to reach a high level in their languages. In the personal form I prefer to use the Tomisimo dictionary online for my own use.

Yours truly.
Old March 12, 2011, 08:58 PM
Banned

Tron is on a distinguished road
I would say it always is but that's up for debate especially depending on the circumstances. In a business setting, I think it's much more important to have bilingual abilities as opposed to relying on programs when time is of the essence.
Closed Thread

Tags
ai, machine translation, translating

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: