Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Derrochar / derroche

Ask about definitions or translations for Spanish or English words.

Old August 19, 2010, 07:05 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Question Derrochar / derroche

I'm working on some new vocabulary words and ran across "derroche" (related to the verb "derrochar") this morning. I have looked in several places and see that it means "waste, squandering", but that it can also mean "profusion, abundance".

In RAE I see the following:
Derrochar
1. Dicho de una persona: Malgastar su dinero o hacienda.
2. Dicho de una persona: Emplear excesivamente otras cosas que posee, como el valor, las energías, el humor, etc.

I understand each definition and use (I believe) independently. But I would like to see the word used in context several times to see how the difference is clear (seeing as I think these are two extremely different ideas...)

For example, are the following sentences correct?
- El estudiante es muy inteligente pero él nunca estudia. Está derrochando sus talentos. (to waste)
- La chica no puede decidir lo que hacer esta viernes. Ella tiene un derroche de novios. (abundance)

So, (1) are my sentences correct? and (2) will you give me some more examples so that I can get the idea? Thanks!!

Last edited by laepelba; August 19, 2010 at 08:05 AM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 19, 2010, 07:59 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
From dictionary:

derrocha salud y energia she exudes health and energy
cómprate algo pero no derroches buy yourself something, but don't go wasting your money
estaban acostumrados a derrochar they were used to being very free with their money
es un derroche de energía dejar las luces encendidas it's a waste of electricity leaving the lights on
un derroche de entusiasm a tremendous display of enthusiasm
un derroche de color a feast of colour (ooops - color)

Your title word above needs a double rr Derrochar

Edit: un derroche de novios: from the above examples, she must be one hell of a girl

Last edited by Perikles; August 19, 2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old August 19, 2010, 08:12 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
From dictionary:

derrocha salud y energia she exudes health and energy <-- I don't think this was obvious from the context... it could also be "wastes her good health and energy". Right?

cómprate algo pero no derroches buy yourself something, but don't go wasting your money <-- so "dinero" is implied here?

estaban acostumrados a derrochar they were used to being very free with their money <-- I don't think this is obvious from the context, either. I think that to say "they were used to wasting money" and "they were used to being extravagant" are somewhat different in meaning.

es un derroche de energía dejar las luces encendidas it's a waste of electricity leaving the lights on <-- very obvious in context!

un derroche de entusiasm a tremendous display of enthusiasm <-- very obvious in context!

un derroche de color a feast of colour (ooops - color) <-- very obvious in context!

Your title word above needs a double rr Derrochar <-- Changed. DOH!!

Edit: un derroche de novios: from the above examples, she must be one hell of a girl Yes, I was going for the over-the-top example.
Thanks, Perikles!!
Old August 19, 2010, 08:45 AM
Diamond

It's an interesting question:
Quote:
derrocha salud y energia she exudes health and energy <-- I don't think this was obvious from the context... it could also be "wastes her good health and energy". Right?
Hmmm - it's one of those 'opposites' which could actually mean the same thing. If you exude something, it means you have so much of it you can afford to waste it without the loss being of consequence. So you could argue that exude and waste can actually mean the same. At least there is some overlap between the two.
Old August 19, 2010, 10:35 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
It's an interesting question:
Hmmm - it's one of those 'opposites' which could actually mean the same thing. If you exude something, it means you have so much of it you can afford to waste it without the loss being of consequence. So you could argue that exude and waste can actually mean the same. At least there is some overlap between the two.
Context will dictate.

Derrocha salud y energía, sale a correr todos los días, exuda salud por los poros.

Derrocha salud al fumar tanto.
Old August 19, 2010, 10:43 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Context will dictate.

Derrocha salud y energía, sale a correr todos los días, exuda salud por los poros.

Derrocha salud al fumar tanto.
Thanks - good examples highlighting the difference.
Old August 19, 2010, 01:34 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
This may just be the 'Spain' perception, or just my own personal feeling, but I would never say 'derrocha salud al fumar tanto'. I would use another synonym such as 'al fumar tanto, disipa su salud' (disipar = squander away, fritter away/use up).
"Derrochar salud" as a common collocation I would tend to understand it in 10 cases out of 10 on the positive sense... as in having an abundance of "health". Ironically it could be applied to bad things, "Derrocha fealdad" or "Derrocha mal genio" [exudes ugliness] [exudes bad temper].

So, below are my "takes" on Perikles sentences/Lou Ann Qs:
(just my opinions)
(In Spain, I would never get the idea of "wasting")
cómprate algo pero no derroches buy yourself something, but don't go wasting your money <-- so "dinero" is implied here?
(Yes, clearly implied)
estaban acostumrados a derrochar they were used to being very free with their money <-- I don't think this is obvious from the context, either. I think that to say "they were used to wasting money" and "they were used to being extravagant" are somewhat different in meaning.
(In Spain, the money is clearly implied. As derrochar means "gastar el dinero u otra cosa con insensatez o exceso.")
es un derroche de energía dejar las luces encendidas it's a waste of electricity leaving the lights on <-- very obvious in context!
(Right!)
un derroche de entusiasmo a tremendous display of enthusiasm <-- very obvious in context!
(Right!)
un derroche de color a feast of colour (ooops - color) <-- very obvious in context!
(Agree!)

Edit: un derroche de novios: from the above examples, she must be one hell of a girl Yes, I was going for the over-the-top example.

(While this example is understandable, somehow it sounds 'foreign' to me. The common collocation is "un montón de novios" - 9,600 hits in Google vs "derroche de novios" - one hit.) The 'usual' collocations I've heard or read:
Tener un derroche de creatividad, de calidad, de tecnología, de cultura, color, talento, ener
gía, ganas, voz, medios, vigor, información, datos...
These would be 'typical' examples 'in my book' so to speak...

I am interested to know how Ookami, Angelica and others perceive this... (and also Chileno, if he wants to expand on his viewpoints...)
Podemos decir que Tomísimo tiene un derroche de datos y de opiniones...
Old August 19, 2010, 02:03 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
I didn't think I'd have anything to add here, but since I've been requested...

I agree with Perikles examples and with Pablo's clarifications.

I might just comment about the "poly-boyfriended girl": It's also an awkward sentence to me. "Esa chica hace un derroche de novios" would make more sense than "tiene", and would mean that she has one after the other and never sees the qualities in any of them (she doesn't necessarily have many boyfriends at the same time, but could be).
"Tener un derroche (de algo)" doesn't sound natural as "abundance". For this notion, the most common words are "exceso" or "demasiado".
- La chica tiene demasiados novios.
- La chica tiene un exceso de novios.
(Both mean she has many boyfriends at the same time.)
Old August 19, 2010, 02:14 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Era solo para ilustrar...
Old August 19, 2010, 03:07 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
@Chileno. Ah, comprendo.
@Angélica. Gracias.
Yo creo que he oído cosas como "Exhibe todo un derroche de cualidades técnicas..." y cosas así.

Tags
derrochar, derroche, malgastar, squander

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: