Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Looking for advice for Spanish learning materials

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old April 19, 2014, 07:39 PM
Opal

Native Language: American English
mrbluestreak is on a distinguished road
Looking for advice for Spanish learning materials

We are planning on taking a vacation to Mexico in the next year and I want to brush up and improve on the little Spanish I have retained from high school Spanish years ago.

I have been trying to sift through all the language programs and plans out there and have to admit that I am just getting more and more confused. I have done numerous searches for ratings on various programs, but I don't know that I'm getting any closer to making a decision. I don't mind spending a little money if I'm getting good value from it and have the potential of gaining some level of fluency in the language.

I would sure appreciate any input on this matter.

Thanks!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 19, 2014, 08:02 PM
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
A lot has already been said about various programs and whether they're worth the investment. You can search the forums, using the popular program names, and find all the threads where a discussion followed.
Old April 21, 2014, 06:17 PM
Emerald

Native Language: English
Glen is on a distinguished road
Look no further, mrbluestreak. This is the best place I've found yet for such a purpose as you mention. Welcome!
Old April 28, 2014, 08:29 AM
Opal

Thanks

Thanks, Glen. I think you are right. Since posting last, I have come to the conclusion that most of the quick learning programs are overpriced and of varying quality.

I found a Spanish Language text for my Kindle and it seems to be well set up with lots of vocabulary, grammar and frequent exercises. I believe that will get me started and that I can seek out practice and help in these forums.
Old April 28, 2014, 12:43 PM
Pearl

Native Language: German, Serbian & Albanian
Premium is on a distinguished road
I honestly don't think that any program is worth it. Fortunately Spanish is a very widespread language with dozens of websites providing you abundant language materials. If you have any questions left, there are many people who'd be glad to help you.
Old April 28, 2014, 06:13 PM
Opal

thanks

Thank you Premium. By the way, your English is immaculate.
Old April 28, 2014, 08:02 PM
Emerald

Native Language: English
Glen is on a distinguished road
A lot depends on what you want, mrbluestreak. You said gain some level of fluency, and that's entirely possible to do before the trip. You might want to concentrate first on basic things such as how to ask questions, etc.
One strategy that served me well the first time I went to meet my in-laws who speak only Spanish was to bone up ahead of time on some short, commonly-understood sayings; one of many that I chose to zero in on, for example, No hay pinacate que suba media pared [a beetle can't even climb halfway up a wall], was a humble way of admitting that I didn't know much - and brought a smile to their faces. Going beyond just memorizing it by rote, I studied each of those 7 words, their definitions and the grammatical structure of the saying itself, which opened doors to the wider world of making sentences.
Just an idea. If it appeals to you, browse our collection of more than 8,000 Idioms, half of them Spanish and the other half English, to find some you might want to study and use on the trip.
Plus, feel free to ask any questions - we're all learners here!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: