Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Compound prepositional objects

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old January 05, 2010, 03:42 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
What in the world are you people talking about!? I thought that vosotros was never used in Latin America? I haven't really been learning it for that reason.

And I specifically do not want to say "you (all)" (in the second person plural), I specifically want to say "with you (singular) and your family". How does "vos" fit into that??

And what in the world is "voseo", I thought that the object pronoun for "vosotros" was "vos" (like "nosotros" and "nos").

What!?

El voseo yo creo que es "vos"

Vosotros - os
(Vosotros) os sentís bienes (sentirse)
You all feel well

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 05, 2010, 04:04 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
And I specifically do not want to say "you (all)" (in the second person plural), I specifically want to say "with you (singular) and your family". How does "vos" fit into that??

And what in the world is "voseo", I thought that the object pronoun for "vosotros" was "vos" (like "nosotros" and "nos").
Voseo is the use of vos.

Vos is a second person singular pronoun. It varies in usage: in Argentina it's informal, replacing tú, and has its own verb forms. In Uruguay it's used alongside tú and usted, so there are three levels of formality. It's also used without those verb forms in some other countries. In Spain it's rare and formal; I've only heard it once, when a child was trying to get me to do something and addressed me as vos to butter me up.

Para más información: http://buscon.rae.es/dpdI/SrvltGUIBu...seo&origen=RAE
Old January 05, 2010, 05:13 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
Vosotros - os
(Vosotros) os sentís bienes (sentirse)
You all feel well
Right, but I've been told that it's not used in Latin America. This is the first time I've heard of it. My best friend is Peruvian, and just this weekend she was telling someone else that "vosotros" is used in Spain, and "ustedes" is used in Latin America..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
Voseo is the use of vos.

Vos is a second person singular (???) pronoun. It varies in usage: in Argentina it's informal, replacing tú (???), and has its own verb forms (!!!???). In Uruguay it's used alongside tú and usted, so there are three levels of formality (so three verb conjugations!!?? where is THAT on the charts?). It's also used without those verb forms in some other countries. In Spain it's rare and formal; I've only heard it once, when a child was trying to get me to do something and addressed me as vos to butter me up.

Para más información: http://buscon.rae.es/dpdI/SrvltGUIBu...seo&origen=RAE
I'm still confused. and that page is all in Spanish. I'm going to need to look for this information somewhere in English. It is the FIRST time I've heard that vosotros is both singular and plural. I honestly thought that vosotros was never used in Latin America. My Salvadoran friend told me that it's quite rude to use it, and that people will be very offended.

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!
Old January 05, 2010, 05:50 AM
Diamond

bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Right, but I've been told that it's not used in Latin America. This is the first time I've heard of it. My best friend is Peruvian, and just this weekend she was telling someone else that "vosotros" is used in Spain, and "ustedes" is used in Latin America..........

I'm still confused. and that page is all in Spanish. I'm going to need to look for this information somewhere in English. It is the FIRST time I've heard that vosotros is both singular and plural. I honestly thought that vosotros was never used in Latin America. My Salvadoran friend told me that it's quite rude to use it, and that people will be very offended.

AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!
Vos es diferente que vosotros

Vos es usado en lugares en latinoamericano y no en España , y vosotros es usado en España y no en latinoamericano

Espero que te ayude

PD.
Vosotros es plural como ustedes
Vos es singular como tú
Old January 05, 2010, 05:57 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
Vos es diferente que vosotros

Vos es usado en lugares en latinoamericano y no en España , y vosotros es usado en España y no en latinoamericano

Espero que te ayude

PD.
Vosotros es plural como ustedes
Vos es singular como tú
Nope, sorry Bob - not really helpful. There are certain things that I need to have explained to me in English because I don't know enough Spanish to understand explanations IN Spanish ABOUT Spanish.

If I'm going to Google this to try to read more about it (in English), what search string do I use to Google. "Vos" sounds a lot like the counterpart to "vosotros" to me (like "nos" and "nosotros"...)
Old January 05, 2010, 07:18 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
Voseo is the use of vos.

Vos is a second person singular (???) pronoun. It varies in usage: in Argentina it's informal, replacing tú (???), and has its own verb forms (!!!???). In Uruguay it's used alongside tú and usted, so there are three levels of formality (so three verb conjugations!!?? where is THAT on the charts?). It's also used without those verb forms in some other countries. In Spain it's rare and formal; I've only heard it once, when a child was trying to get me to do something and addressed me as vos to butter me up.
Singular. As in

(yo) como
(vos) comés
(él/ella/usted) come
(nosotros) comemos
(ellos/ellas/ustedes) comen

In the DRAE's verb charts it appears next to tú: e.g.

como
comes / comés
come
comemos
coméis
comen

Quote:
If I'm going to Google this to try to read more about it (in English), what search string do I use to Google. "Vos" sounds a lot like the counterpart to "vosotros" to me (like "nos" and "nosotros"...)
nosotros :: nos as vosotros :: os (note the lack of v)

Try searching for "voseo".
Old January 05, 2010, 09:48 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What in the world are you people talking about!? I thought that vosotros was never used in Latin America? I haven't really been learning it for that reason.

What!?
El "vos" es para "tú" y se usa en Argentina, Uruguay, Guatemala, El Salvador, y no estoy seguro en donde más.

En Chile todavía se usa en cierta forma y no es bien mirado.
Old January 05, 2010, 10:15 AM
Diamond

Wow - this is totally new to me. Is this something that they don't teach in school Spanish in the US? I'm going to go Google it......
Old January 05, 2010, 11:06 AM
Diamond

Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wow - this is totally new to me. Is this something that they don't teach in school Spanish in the US? I'm going to go Google it......
I can't cope with this. It's bad enough trying to learn Spanish as spoken in Spain.....
Old January 05, 2010, 11:13 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
I can't cope with this. It's bad enough trying to learn Spanish as spoken in Spain.....
Much worse is as spoken in Tenerife (sometimes I don't understand every word a "Canario" friend of mine says).

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: