Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Online classes, with live instructors

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old February 13, 2009, 06:26 AM
Opal

emmasma is on a distinguished road
Online classes, with live instructors

I really want to take an online spanish class. I just don't stick to it if I don't have an instructor and fellow students to hold me accountable.

I'm looking into the live teacher online type format. I can't afford a babysitter, and trip downtown for real classes.

Has anyone taken these or know of any good ones?

I want to learn latin american spanish.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 13, 2009, 11:45 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English, United States
ZeroTX is on a distinguished road
I have used http://www.121speech.com/ with some luck. It's affordable and you will learn if you are also self-motivated and studying independently.

I'm currently beta-testing with a school in Mexico as they create their online program. It is very well written (great curriculum) and should be ready soon. I'm happy to let you know more when I find out

-ZeroTX

Last edited by Tomisimo; March 10, 2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Reverting post
Old March 04, 2009, 12:09 PM
Opal

josephstevens is on a distinguished road
The site I like to use is <snip> and they are really good. The first lesson was free and the rest are under $9 a piece. The teachers are really friendly and I am learning all the conversational Spanish I want.

Last edited by Rusty; March 04, 2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Advertising - removed link to commercial site
Old March 10, 2009, 09:39 AM
Ruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
I have used <snip> with some luck. It's affordable and you will learn if you are also self-motivated and studying independently.

I'm currently beta-testing with a school in Mexico as they create their online program. It is very well written (great curriculum) and should be ready soon. I'm happy to let you know more when I find out

-ZeroTX
"Last edited by Rusty; March 04, 2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Advertising - removed link to commercial site"

It's not a questionable link. I used the service myself with a native-speaking instructor out of Guatemala and I spoke with the owner in the U.S. on his CELL PHONE, months ago. If you post on the site asking for info, the owner, Craig, will email you. I think his cell phone is actually posted on the website, if I remember right. It's a 512 area code number.

-Michael
Old March 10, 2009, 09:59 AM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
"Last edited by Rusty; March 04, 2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Advertising - removed link to commercial site"

It's not a questionable link. I used the service myself with a native-speaking instructor out of Guatemala and I spoke with the owner in the U.S. on his CELL PHONE, months ago. If you post on the site asking for info, the owner, Craig, will email you. I think his cell phone is actually posted on the website, if I remember right. It's a 512 area code number.

-Michael
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response. First of all I want to apologize if you felt offended that your post was edited.

Now to explain my actions. I face a dilemma with users posting links. There are dozens of spam posts every day (most of which never see the light of day), where people or bots are trying to promote some website. So when there is a legitimate user who inadvertently fits the profile of a spammer-- posting a link to a website in one of their first posts-- then I just edit it out to be on the safe side. Spam is a never-ending battle, and as such will have a few false positives, and for that I apologize.

I will revert your post to your version.

David.
Old March 16, 2009, 06:09 PM
Ruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response. First of all I want to apologize if you felt offended that your post was edited.

Now to explain my actions. I face a dilemma with users posting links. There are dozens of spam posts every day (most of which never see the light of day), where people or bots are trying to promote some website. So when there is a legitimate user who inadvertently fits the profile of a spammer-- posting a link to a website in one of their first posts-- then I just edit it out to be on the safe side. Spam is a never-ending battle, and as such will have a few false positives, and for that I apologize.

I will revert your post to your version.

David.
Thanks! I just don't want people to be missing out on Spanish learning resources that are a good deal price-wise. I did pay like around $10/hour for lessons and it was one-on-one with an instructor. She wasn't probably a professional teacher, but just having 1 on 1 for that price is great and a regular schedule can be set up. I will happily also let you guys know about another one I'm working with in Mexico, where they are beta testing their online courses, which ARE done by professional teachers. I have attended their school for a total of 6 weeks nice over 2 different summers and they are adding online courses to their list of things, since many people aren't traveling these days due to the economy. Anyway, I will post about that once they go "public" For now I'm enjoying my private classes
Old March 22, 2009, 12:11 AM
Opal

Native Language: english
fullbite is on a distinguished road
So how much does it cost to get started?
Old March 23, 2009, 09:14 AM
Ruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbite View Post
So how much does it cost to get started?
They give two free classes, so it costs nothing to start.
Old March 26, 2009, 02:27 PM
Opal

Native Language: english
fullbite is on a distinguished road
Then what? Do you pay up front for a package of classes to be used over a specific amount of time? What are the details? I dont see them on the sight anywhere.
Old March 27, 2009, 10:47 AM
Pearl

Native Language: English (USA)
tacuba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbite View Post
Then what? Do you pay up front for a package of classes to be used over a specific amount of time? What are the details? I dont see them on the sight anywhere.
This is from their website:

Limited Time Starter Package

Order a web cam headset package and also receive 8 hours of lessons for just $92.00.

You get 8 hours of Spanish lessons + the 2 free lessons (10 total) , and we will ship this web cam and headset via UPS so you can connect to our teachers using SKYPE.

This offer is only valid for continental U.S. residents and new students.

The checkout option for this deal is currently under construction right now. However you can contact us at Info121speech@yahoo.com to get this deal (we'll send you an invoice for payments).

Tags
live online class

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: