Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

So too many times

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old August 26, 2011, 11:08 PM
Ruby

Native Language: US English
swr999 is on a distinguished road
"I've sung it so too many times" needs a little more context.

The "so" can take the meaning of "I've sung it thus too many times, or like that too many times, or that way too many times. Maybe something like "Así lo cantaba demasiado."

PS: No Spanish keyboard so accents are hard for me to include. Os pido perdón .

PPS: Ooops! Noobismo total here! I had not seen the 'Accents' pulldown menu in the advanced editing window.
Accents added.

Last edited by swr999; August 27, 2011 at 07:19 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 30, 2011, 09:34 PM
Ruby

Native Language: US English
swr999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
...The context is, someone asked an Irish youth if he had sung Danny Boy before and he answered "I've sung it so too many times" ...
Revisiting this, if we add a comma after the too, the sense may be clarified somewhat, and can be taken as "I've sung it that way also, many times."

o sea, Así la he contado yo también, y muchas veces. Not saying this is the original meaning, just that it's another possible English interpretation.

And finally, there is a current, hopefully transitory, slang use of the word 'so' you may hear used by mainly US 20-somethings and younger, in the following way:

"That's soooooo 2010" with heavy stress on the 'so', used when referring to something that was commonly done previously and which is now thought to be so out-of-date and unfashionable that it no longer merits any consideration.

Last edited by swr999; August 31, 2011 at 12:44 PM.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: