Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Spanish Erre (R)

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old February 13, 2009, 11:47 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
OOOOooooh!! You just gave me a GREAT idea!! I should try to find the Harry Potter books in Spanish!! I would LOVE to read them en español.

Actually - I am already working on reading parts of the Bible in Spanish, and it has been quite a rewarding experience.
Both will give you pleasure to read. The bible will give you a different spanish. Just like in english. :-)

Hernan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
Oh, no... I don't think there was anything wrong with what you wrote... I meant that my first idea was that of an elder: "new generations aren't as educated as were their ancestors".
Well, that too! :-)

Hernan

Last edited by Rusty; February 14, 2009 at 03:05 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 14, 2009, 02:11 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
The bible will give you a different spanish. Just like in english. :-)

Hernan.
Yes, a different Spanish ... but it is definitely beautifully worded. I am enjoying and savoring every encounter.
Old February 14, 2009, 07:21 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Yes, a different Spanish ... but it is definitely beautifully worded. I am enjoying and savoring every encounter.

Same as the English version. I am not sure, but are all the bibles the King James's version?

Hernan.
Old February 14, 2009, 09:48 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Same as the English version. I am not sure, but are all the bibles the King James's version?

Hernan.
Actually, no. There are many different English translations of the Bible. They were translated at different times for different audiences and for different purposes. The interesting thing is that they've also been taken from different manuscripts. The manuscripts available at the time the KJV was translated (in the 1600's I beleive) were not as OLD as some of the manuscripts that have been found more recently, so translations from the 1900's (like the New American Standard) could be considered to be more accurate. But some people prefer the language of the KJV....

I have been reading some on the different Spanish translations. My friends who speak Spanish are not catholic, and they tend to use the Reina Valera (1995), which is supposedly more like the King James ... and the original Reina Valera was translated BEFORE the King James. There is also La Biblia de las Américas, which I am told is often used by Latin Americans who are catholic (although I don't know this but 2nd or 3rd hand...)

Can you tell that I find literary criticism of the Bible to be extremely interesting?
Old February 14, 2009, 10:04 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Actually, no. There are many different English translations of the Bible. They were translated at different times for different audiences and for different purposes. The interesting thing is that they've also been taken from different manuscripts. The manuscripts available at the time the KJV was translated (in the 1600's I beleive) were not as OLD as some of the manuscripts that have been found more recently, so translations from the 1900's (like the New American Standard) could be considered to be more accurate. But some people prefer the language of the KJV....

I have been reading some on the different Spanish translations. My friends who speak Spanish are not catholic, and they tend to use the Reina Valera (1995), which is supposedly more like the King James ... and the original Reina Valera was translated BEFORE the King James. There is also La Biblia de las Américas, which I am told is often used by Latin Americans who are catholic (although I don't know this but 2nd or 3rd hand...)
I see. I am not too involved with the different bibles, as I was educated in a Catholic School by priests of the order of San Pedro Nolasco, In Santiago, Chile. I do not even remember what version we used. But the minute I read some of the passages in English I had a flashback with good memories. And then, that was it, I had to work... (and never again) I do not go to church. For years now. I am too sacrilegious.

Quote:
Can you tell that I find literary criticism of the Bible to be extremely interesting?
You could've fooled though.

Hernan.
Old February 16, 2009, 05:21 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
If you want a Protestant version, look for the reina valera here
http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/index.php
For catholic, here are the most usual
http://www.marianistas.org/biblia/bibliaespanol.html
the link it's a bit old, the "Biblia de Navarra" was finished on 2004.
Look for the names in internet and you will find more.

For Harry Potter, I can only say that you must look for yourself in dubious places, or order them in Amazon

saludos
Old February 16, 2009, 10:17 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Sosia in your country the people is very religious right.

The I know that thanks to your country my country exist the catholic religious. Then I mean, in your country there churches of the epoch of the socks.

Quiero decir que si tienes iglesias del año del calcetin.
Old February 17, 2009, 04:49 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

The chuchs near me are usually from the XII or the XIII, but we have very old churches here (VIII).
But I have to say the people now it's not very religious. I was so educated and I have continued (not like chileno ). Wenn I go to the Holy Mass, the most of the people are 50 or older.
Saludos
Old February 17, 2009, 06:38 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosia View Post
The chuchs near me are usually from the XII or the XIII, but we have very old churches here (VIII).
But I have to say the people now it's not very religious. I was so educated and I have continued (not like chileno ). Wenn I go to the Holy Mass, the most of the people are 50 or older.
Saludos
But I am 50 and older!

The fact that I do not go to church does not mean that I do not carry one in me. :-)

Hernan.
Old February 17, 2009, 06:59 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Quote:
But I am 50 and older!

The fact that I do not go to church does not mean that I do not carry one in me. :-)

Hernan.
You carry your own church? are you a minor God?

Tags
ll, pronunciation, rhyme, rr, spelling, tongue twister, trabalenguas

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: