Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar

Por la calle vs en la calle

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 21, 2017, 11:45 PM
Ruby

dupond is on a distinguished road
Por la calle vs en la calle

Is there any difference between "por la calle" and "en la calle"?

I had the impression that "por" might be used to convey a sense of passing through, e.g. Paso por la calle, whereas "en" might be used to indicate an action that takes place in or on the street, e.g. Bailan en la calle.

However, I found the following sentence in my textbook:

Me parece que ahora hay más gente por la calle.

I would have expected "en" to be used instead of "por". Although, I was probably imagining that such a rule existed.

Are "en" and "por" interchangeable in this sentence? If not, how does the meaning change?

Thanks

Tags
en, por, prepositions

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: