Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

A source for half-Spanish/half-English conversations?

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Old March 23, 2013, 08:55 PM
Opal

jemenake is on a distinguished road
A source for half-Spanish/half-English conversations?

Hola todos!

I've been listening to a lot of the audio lessons at SpanishPod, lately, mostly sticking to the Elementary section, and they've been a help. However, yesterday, for fun, I tried listening to the Intermediate and Upper-Intermediate lessons and I was astounded by how helpful they were.

(*** If you're not familiar with SpanishPod's lessons, I'll explain them below)

At the Elementary level, which is what I had been focusing on, all of the conversation between the host and hostess are in English, as they explain the dialogue you hear. However, when you move up to the Intermediate level, the hostess (a native Spanish speaker) speaks mostly in Spanish, while the host (a native English speaker) speaks in English.

What you end up getting is something like:
Hostess: Te gustaría comer pescado, luego?
Host: Oh, no. I don't touch fish.
Hostess: Por que' no? No es crudo.
Host: I know. Even the cooked stuff... I dunno. I've never liked it.

So, the English speaker isn't quite translating what she said, but he's responding with enough detail to give you hints for recalling some of the Spanish vocabulary. I found that this gives you that "immersion" style of learning (like when you watch the Spanish telenovelas or Spanish movies), but having every other sentence be in English makes it much easier to "track" the context of the conversation.

I think I could listen to that format for *hours*, and it's gotta be pretty easy for people to generate, as they don't have to prepare a dialogue and then step through it explaining it; they just need to talk about whatever... with the Spanish speaker trying to use simpler words and tenses. Which then leads me to the question... where could I find some audio like this?

- Joe

(*** The SpanishPod format is that the hosts, a man and woman, introduce themselves and then, briefly, introduce the dialogue which you're about to hear. Then, you hear a prepared dialogue between two other people up to three times. After that, the host and hostess step through each line in the dialogue to translate what you just heard and also explain conjugations, idioms, vocabulary, etc.)

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: