Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Conjugation for "we will return"...

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old July 23, 2013, 07:37 PM
Opal

jemenake is on a distinguished road
Conjugation for "we will return"...

So, I'm here in a little seaside Mexican town, and the street is lined with vendors of all kinds of chachki baubles that I'll never use when I get back to the states. I'm going to buy some of it, anyway, but I want to see what all there is to select from, and what range of prices. So, to each shop vendor who steers us into our store, I look at their offerings, and then say "regresaremos"... which, in my Spanish class, I was led to believe is the conjugation for "we will return".

However, every time I say this to anybody, they nod as if they were able to make a little sense of what I meant and they all say "Ah, si'... regresa".

Is there something I'm completely missing, here? Are they trying to give me (what *they* believe to be) the correct conjugation? Or, are they giving me the imperative response (like, they're saying "regresen", and I'm mis-hearing it)?

Did I learn some idealized, academic Spanish in my classes, and I'm running into some kind of truncated "street Spanish" or something?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old July 23, 2013, 08:00 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
regresaremos = we will return (textbook answer)
Regresar can also mean 'give back' in some places.

The future tense is not the best tense to use in this situation, either. The meaning is "we're coming back, but not anytime soon."

Using 'vamos a regresar' or even 'regresamos' will communicate that you're coming back (sooner than the future tense conveys).

In case regresar is misunderstood in that seaside town, or just because it sounds better to me, I would use 'vamos a volver' or 'volvemos' (near future communicated by using the present tense).
If you totally think you're likely to return, add 'ya' before the verb. They'll be glad to hear that.
Old July 23, 2013, 11:12 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
ducviloxi is on a distinguished road
how about "esperamos que regresemos pronto"... we hope that we may return soon = we hope to return soon

Last edited by ducviloxi; July 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old July 24, 2013, 12:18 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
"Esperamos regresar pronto."

If your subject of both verbs is the same, then the subjunctive sounds clumsy and there is need for the infinitive.

(Nosotros) Esperamos que Juan regrese pronto. -> Since you have a different subject for both verbs, then you use the subjunctive.

However, in the context, this may not be understood as you will return to the store the same day.

I think Rusty's option is a fine classroom solution. But if you want a Mexican to understand that you are talking about coming back the same day (or in a short while), the present tense would work better:

- Damos una vuelta y regresamos.
We'll take a look around and we'll come back.

- Al rato regresamos.
We'll come back in a moment.

And if you want to sound Mexican: "Ahorita regresamos."
(We'll come right back.)
Old July 24, 2013, 04:57 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
I got it!

They look weird at you because they know you are not going to go back to them and tell them "I'm sorry, I bought that somewhere else..."

Ah, regresa.... (right!)

:-D
Old August 13, 2013, 12:00 PM
Opal

fusekisan is on a distinguished road
There is nothing wrong in your "regresaremos", even if it's probably not what a native speaker would say. I would personally say: "ya volveremos". Of course, this "ya" can't be literally translated as "we'll come back already", but rather "we'll be back later on".
Another option to avoid the future tense can be "luego volvemos", or "volvemos más tarde".
But again, there is no mistake in your "regresaremos". Their answer "ah sí, regresa" is a bit odd: you used the plural form, so one would expect an "ah sí, regresen" (unless they just care to address you and not the rest of your buddies), and it just means "ok, I got you; do come back, please".
Glad to help.
Luis
Old August 13, 2013, 12:05 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Fusekisan: The store owner may have been just getting it clear as in "ah, sí, dice que regresa".
And in Mexico "volver" is not so widely used as "regresar".
Old August 19, 2013, 03:52 AM
Opal

fusekisan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
@Fusekisan: The store owner may have been just getting it clear as in "ah, sí, dice que regresa".
And in Mexico "volver" is not so widely used as "regresar".
Angélica: I agree that the alternative meaning of the owner's sentence that you suggest is also possible, and I know that "volver" is less used that "regresar", in México, but used nontheless, right? (I'm quite sure I have seen in it authors like C. Fuentes, E. Mendoza and Salvador Elizondo, at least).
Luis

Por cierto, una de las más célebres canciones mexicanas en el mundo se llama.... ¡Sí, bingo!: Volver, volver: "Y volver, volver, volver / a tus brazos otra vez/ Llegaré hasta donde estés, yo sé perder, yo sé perder, quiero volver, volver, volver".
(Mi homenaje al gran Vicente Fernández).

Luis

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; August 19, 2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts
Old August 19, 2013, 08:21 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemenake View Post
... I look at their offerings, and then say "regresaremos"... which, in my Spanish class, I was led to believe is the conjugation for "we will return".

However, every time I say this to anybody, they nod as if they were able to make a little sense of what I meant and they all say "Ah, si'... regresa".

Is there something I'm completely missing, here? Are they trying to give me (what *they* believe to be) the correct conjugation? Or, are they giving me the imperative response (like, they're saying "regresen", and I'm mis-hearing it)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusekisan View Post
There is nothing wrong in your "regresaremos", even if it's probably not what a native speaker would say. I would personally say: "ya volveremos". Of course, this "ya" can't be literally translated as "we'll come back already", but rather "we'll be back later on".
Another option to avoid the future tense can be "luego volvemos", or "volvemos más tarde".
But again, there is no mistake in your "regresaremos". Their answer "ah sí, regresa" is a bit odd: you used the plural form, so one would expect an "ah sí, regresen" (unless they just care to address you and not the rest of your buddies), and it just means "ok, I got you; do come back, please".
Glad to help.
Luis
I agree that OP is completely correct by saying "regresaremos" or as you suggest "volveremos"

It is the store owner's answer that is puzzling to the OP.

Ah, regresan! It isn't a matter that he could've said "Ah sí, regresen" o "ah sí, vuelven"

The fact is that the answer is kind of weird as if not believing they will in fact return.

See?
Old August 21, 2013, 03:30 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemenake View Post
So, I'm here in a little seaside Mexican town, and the street is lined with vendors of all kinds of chachki baubles that I'll never use when I get back to the states. I'm going to buy some of it, anyway, but I want to see what all there is to select from, and what range of prices. So, to each shop vendor who steers us into our store, I look at their offerings, and then say "regresaremos"... which, in my Spanish class, I was led to believe is the conjugation for "we will return".

Did I learn some idealized, academic Spanish in my classes, and I'm running into some kind of truncated "street Spanish" or something?
Ahorita vengo=I'll be right back

ah-oh-REE-tah

No, gracias. Sólo estoy mirando. Ahorita vengo.
No, thank you. I'm just looking. I'll be right back.

Last edited by Villa; August 21, 2013 at 03:37 PM.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: