Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Hardest thing for you learning a new language?

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old May 04, 2009, 04:47 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Realize that your mental block is produced because of what is highlighted in red, above.

Once you solve that problem (by not caring about it), then you won't have to be in the place you describe below. Because you do it well in English, so there should not be a problem doing it in Spanish either.

Just pay attention to your errors, so that you can self correct later and you'll get it in no time!

My dear Chilean, I wanna do a question for you, because I have the doubt since time ago, my questions is How do many languages you speak?. Because I have could see that you write the English so well, I guess that you speak the English as well, I'd like speak the English as you, but as I remember you are living inside of the U.S.A when you are from Chile, then When time toke you learn the language? And What was the kind to practice that you had it?

I hope you can answer me of the best to way.

Sincerely yours.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 04, 2009, 05:12 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Realize that your mental block is produced because of what is highlighted in red, above.

Once you solve that problem (by not caring about it), then you won't have to be in the place you describe below. Because you do it well in English, so there should not be a problem doing it in Spanish either.

Just pay attention to your errors, so that you can self correct later and you'll get it in no time!

Very true. My own personal experience about feeling ridiculous was when I was learning French. My teacher hated me because I couldn't pronounce anything right... the day I felt angry and started "mocking" my teacher, it was the first time she said "très bien".

Paying attention to errors and correcting them by making exercises and practicing as much as one can needs a bit of discipline, but it does work.
Old May 04, 2009, 06:20 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
Very true. My own personal experience about feeling ridiculous was when I was learning French. My teacher hated me because I couldn't pronounce anything right... the day I felt angry and started "mocking" my teacher, it was the first time she said "très bien".

Paying attention to errors and correcting them by making exercises and practicing as much as one can needs a bit of discipline, but it does work.

Yes, I can give you the reason about it, in the schools sometimes the teachers are very hard with the pupils most when the you don't learn anything of the they are saying in that moment, but that reason, when I was studying in the high school I heated much to my mathematics teacher because I don't like the mathematic never have like me the mathematics and he always was telling me, George if you does not learn the lesson of today, I believe that, I will send you to the direction, and it was the result of that never I learn the mathematics of the best way, then I consider that the teacher must to teach you of the best way if they want that you learn something, although I never went to a languages school, this language I learnt to empiric way, because I like it.

For that reason I have to throw the towel when I was studying the hight school in the mathematics class.

Mad professor.

Last edited by CrOtALiTo; May 05, 2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old May 04, 2009, 11:13 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Do you know that being bilingual makes that the Alzheimer can be delayed (I'm not sure, I wanted to say: puede retrasar la aparición del Alzheimer)?. To be bilingual in this case is enough if you get a minimum in writing, speaking or listening. This is because of the connections made in the brain are good for this. These connections also help to get a better memory and concentration.
[puede retrasar la aparición del Alzheimer]
Being bilingual can reduce your chances of contracting Alzheimer's.
Being bilingual can delay the appearance of Alzhiemer's.
Old May 05, 2009, 08:20 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
[puede retrasar la aparición del Alzheimer]
Being bilingual can reduce your chances of contracting Alzheimer's.
Being bilingual can delay the appearance of Alzhiemer's.
Tomisimo. You are saying the knows three or more language during the rest of your life, it can delay the appear of the Alzhiermer illness, then if you know around of five languages your brain works faster during all your live, it's very interesting because if the people study the languages or the mathematics their brain could work better and so they could develop more knowledge about the education or also they can be smarter although they even so can get the illness anyhow.

What did you say before about the illness is studied for the doctors?
Old May 05, 2009, 08:27 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Tomisimo. You are saying the knows three or more language during the rest of your life, it can delay the appear of the Alzhiermer illness, then if you know around of five languages your brain works faster during all your live, it's very interesting because if the people study the languages or the mathematics their brain could work better and so they could develop more knowledge about the education or also they can be smarter although they even so can get the illness anyhow.

What did you say before about the illness is studied for the doctors?
I'm sorry, but the studies said that there's no difference for the brain if you learn two or more languages, the connections on the brain are the same. The most important thing for the brain is to get such skill when you're a child, but it's good enough although if you're an adult. But a second language is good enough for your brain.
Old May 05, 2009, 08:36 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I'm sorry, but the studies said that there's no difference for the brain if you learn two or more languages, the connections on the brain are the same. The most important thing for the brain is to get such skill when you're a child, but it's good enough although if you're an adult. But a second language is good enough for your brain.
The the brain don't get more health if you study two or more languages during your live, although I know that the learn more languages is good enough for your learning anyway, I though that the learn the languages was enough for that your brain worked more and he gets more health, but if that does not.. then I'm not to worrying me for anything if howsoever is the same to learn one, two or more language.

Thank very much for your great information about it.
Old May 05, 2009, 09:14 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
You're welcome
Old May 05, 2009, 09:33 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
My dear Chilean, I wanna do a question for you, because I have the doubt since time ago, my questions is How do many languages you speak?. Because I have could see that you write the English so well, I guess that you speak the English as well, I'd like speak the English as you, but as I remember you are living inside of the U.S.A when you are from Chile, then When time toke you learn the language? And What was the kind to practice that you had it?

I hope you can answer me of the best to way.

Sincerely yours.
I speak, read and write english, or so i think.

Just that, and my trusty Spanish.

It took me about a year to be completely functional in English, and about 2 more years to, more or less, have "almost" completely translated what I knew in Spanish to English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post

Yup, and that's exactly what you have to do, concerning "mocking" other people in order to get the intonation of the language. You still have an accent, but the intonation is correct, and that's makes a huge difference.
Old May 05, 2009, 10:29 AM
Diamond

Quote:
I speak, read and write english, or so i think.

Just that, and my trusty Spanish.

It took me about a year to be completely functional in English, and about 2 more years to, more or less, have "almost" completely translated what I knew in Spanish to English.

Yup, and that's exactly what you have to do, concerning "mocking" other people in order to get the intonation of the language. You still have an accent, but the intonation is correct, and that's makes a huge difference.

Yes. I can understand you when one language is not your tongue native is very hard to learn it, well in my case I have around of one year and four months leaning the language, but the difference with you is that I can't speak the language with other people, because I haven't practice even, then I need to improve my English with someone who speaks English, I can write the English as you have could to see, but it's not sufficient to me, then well, I don'r know How time more I will take me to learn the language as spoken as written.

Tags
hardest thing

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: