Hacer Pregunta

Crear un tema
Retroceder   Foros para el aprendizaje de inglés y español > Los idiomas inglés y español > La gramática
Registrarse Ayuda Comunidad Calendario Temas de Hoy Buscar PenpalsTraductor

"Se te" help please :)

Éste es el lugar para preguntas sobre conjugaciones, tiempos verbales, adverbios, adjetivos, el orden de palabras, sintaxis y otras cuestiones gramaticales en español e inglés.

Tema Cerrado

Herramientas Desplegado
Antiguo October 02, 2017, 02:43 PM
Nilo Nilo no está en línea
Opal

Nilo is on a distinguished road
"Se te" help please :)

Hi,
I would appreciate your help please I was going through the FSI Basic Course lesson 47 and I came across something that I can't explain and was hoping one of you kind folks could help me
The sentence is as follows;
"sólo en cuanto a la pronunciación se te puede poner a veces algún reparo."
(i.e. Only in regard to pronunciation can one sometimes make an occasional criticism
)

I understand "se te" when used like this..."se te perdieron las llaves" or "se te cayó el lapiz" etc. (i.e. accidental episodes like losing something or something falling on you etc.). The above senstence would have made sense to me if "se puede" was used which I'd read as "one can" (impersonal). I've never seen "se te" used in this fashion...Any help much appreciated
Gracias!
Nilo

Quita esta publicidad al registrarte con una cuenta gratuita en Tomísimo.
Antiguo October 02, 2017, 03:00 PM
Rusty Rusty no está en línea
Señor Speedy

Primera Lengua: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
This is an example of the impersonal ('one can') usage, but involves a pronominal verb (ponerse). The criticism mentioned, given by the unnamed subject, is directed at another (second, familiar) person.

Perhaps it would help if you add 'your' before the word 'pronunciation' in the translation.
Antiguo October 03, 2017, 05:00 AM
Opal

Thank you Rusty for clearing that up It does help when I add the 'your' before 'pronuncialtion', I never looked at it that way. So I guess it should read like...
"Only in regard to (your) pronunciation can one sometimes make an occasional criticism (of you)"
Gracias
Nilo
Antiguo October 03, 2017, 05:23 AM
Rusty Rusty no está en línea
Señor Speedy

Primera Lengua: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Yes. The literal translation sounds a bit clumsy in English, so it's better to just add the possessive adjective 'your' to the English translation. The 'of you' that you also added would literally be 'to you' (indirect object) in the literal translation. What you're essentially dealing with, when presented in the infinitive, is 'ponérsele a alguien un reparo' ('one gives to someone a criticism').
Antiguo October 03, 2017, 12:13 PM
Opal

Le agradezco mucho por la ayuda
Tema Cerrado

Etiquetas
impersonal, passive, reflexive, se te

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: