Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary > Idioms & Sayings
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

A nowhere view

An idiom is an expression whose meaning is not readily apparent based on the individual words in the expression. This forum is dedicated to discussing idioms and other sayings.

Old March 03, 2013, 11:40 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Question A nowhere view

A nowhere view

Here are the following sentences,

"A view from nowhere, on the other hand, seems to me to take us, well, nowhere. It's a fun notion to play with, but in the end, it's a nowhere view."

What would be the best translation for “a nowhere view”?

¿Una visión de ningún sitio?
¿Una visión de ninguna parte?

Is there another less literal way to say it?

Any views on this, even if they came from “nowhere” or “anywhere” will be appreciated.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 24, 2013, 09:49 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
Calcoyote is on a distinguished road
Interesting question. I realize you are wanting other Spanish ways of saying this but I want to comment on the English usage of the word. I would think "nowhere" would be a bit difficult to translate into Spanish. In Spanish this word would tanslate literalmente como "en ningun lugar/parte en particular". (I hope I said that correctly).

As you already know, in English this word has differing idiomatic meanings:

We are going nowhere with this project. - We are not making progress with this project.

My keys are nowhere to be found. - My keys are missing.

He is in nowhere land. - He is weird. Or a similar expression: He is in the twilight zone.

I first noticed the differing idiomatic uses of this word in the 1960's pop culture. Get on Youtube and listen to "Nowhere Man" by the Beatles. This song heavily influenced the use of this word in the American and British cultures in the 1960's and 1970's and the affect is still felt in the English language today.

Edit: To comment on your original usage of the word "nowhere view" is pretty good. It means that it lacks insight. Could this be said in Spanish like this: Con respecto esto asunto, El no tiene punto de vista. Or could it be said: Con respecto esto asunto tu punto de vista es menos profundo. Would a native Spanish speaker frown on this type of word usage?

Last edited by Calcoyote; March 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old March 24, 2013, 01:26 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Hi, Calcoyote!
Your input is greatly appreciated!
I am answering as I listen to the Beatles song, and it definitely gives me a somewhere view... point...

Con respecto a este asunto, él no tiene punto de vista.

That would probably work.

On this one I am not so sure,
Con respecto a este asunto tu punto de vista es menos profundo.

I think that "un punto de vista que no lleva a ningún sitio (one that it's useless) could be a good Spanish version for my context (even if a bit redundant...)

At any rate, thank you again for your input and the song!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: