Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework

Ejercicio con el subjuntivo (14-17)

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 10, 2010, 03:38 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Question Ejercicio con el subjuntivo (14-17)

I am still doing exercises in my workbook in the "subjunctive" section. This one has me confused. It immediately follows a section on choosing between the subjunctive and the indicative in certain situations (like expressing doubt using "tal vez" or "quizas", etc., or situations that mean "no matter how much/far/soon/etc."). The exercise gives 8 sentences (in Spanish) with the verb missing, indicates a verb in the indicative, and instructs you to choose between the indicative and the subjunctive. This led me to believe that there would be several of the 8 sentences that would use the indicative. But when I checked the answers in the back of the book, they were all in the subjunctive except one. Urrggghhhh.....

Here are the directions:
Escribe la forma apropiada de subjuntivo o de indicativo.

And here are the 8 sentences:
(1) Marta no va a encontrar un libro interesante por más que lo ____________ (buscar) en la biblioteca.
(2) Juanita no gana peso por mucho que __________ (comer).
(3) Que yo ____________ (saber), Uds. tienen que asumir las responsabilidades.
(4) Puede ser que la mujer o el hombre ideal nunca __________ (llegar).
(5) No quiere ver la película española porque ___________ (pensar) que es mala.
(6) ¿Aceptas su decisión, aunque ella ___________ (decir) lo que diga?
(7) Posiblemente nosotros _____________ (aceptar) las surgencias del delegado.
(8) Que ella ____________ (recordar), nunca encuentra nada bueno en las subastas.

Answers:
(1) busque
(2) coma
(3) sepa
(4) llegue
(5) peinsa
(6) diga
(7) aceptemos
(8) recuerde

My questions:
(5) Is this indicative (the only one) because it is most likely a bad movie?
(6) Nope. I don't begin to understand this one, especially given the subjunctive in the latter use of decir. Help?
(7) Couldn't this be either subjunctive or indicative, depending on how likely "we" are to accept said suggestions?

Sigh...........
Thank you for any help offered!!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: