Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Funnest

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old March 05, 2009, 11:48 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
MainePotsAndPans is on a distinguished road
One of the first wedding gifts my wife and I bought for ourselfs was a figurine of Tigger and Piglet of Winnie the Pooh fame riding in a wooden cart, both smiling grinning from ear to ear. The caption on the bottom says, "We have two speeds, fun and funner!".

I think that especially with the words funner and funnest, the fact that it does reflect a less formal or even "wrong" gramatical expression contributes to the desired effect of recreating child like glee, by capturing a child like idiom or manner of speaking.

MPAP

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 05, 2009, 12:24 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainePotsAndPans View Post
One of the first wedding gifts my wife and I bought for ourselfs was a figurine of Tigger and Piglet of Winnie the Pooh fame riding in a wooden cart, both smiling grinning from ear to ear. The caption on the bottom says, "We have two speeds, fun and funner!".

I think that especially with the words funner and funnest, the fact that it does reflect a less formal or even "wrong" gramatical expression contributes to the desired effect of recreating child like glee, by capturing a child like idiom or manner of speaking.

MPAP
Proof positive! We're now quoting Tigger and Piglet. Tigger, of "bouncy" and "topses" fame.
Old March 05, 2009, 12:36 PM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
literacola is on a distinguished road
I think it sounds better in some situations personally. If someone says "It is the most fun thing in the world" it just sounds bad to my ear. "The funnest thing in the world" sounds much better to me.
Old March 05, 2009, 12:41 PM
Emerald

Fazor is on a distinguished road
I'd argue that the phrase "[Most fun/funnest] thing in the world." sounds a little juvinile though, thus "funnest" sounds like it fits better. Now, I don't mean that anyone who says that line is juvinile, but when talking about "The funnest thing in the world", it's typically something said with the care-free, casual demeanor.

I have a hard time picturing the president, or the CEO of a company, making a formal speech and including the phrase regardless of how he/she handles the word "fun".
Old March 05, 2009, 12:59 PM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
I'd argue that the phrase "[Most fun/funnest] thing in the world." sounds a little juvinile though, thus "funnest" sounds like it fits better. Now, I don't mean that anyone who says that line is juvinile, but when talking about "The funnest thing in the world", it's typically something said with the care-free, casual demeanor.

I have a hard time picturing the president, or the CEO of a company, making a formal speech and including the phrase regardless of how he/she handles the word "fun".
You are completely correct. Funnest isn't good English, but it exists like bestest, aint and more better, and... We all could add to this list. Language is a big and flexible thing. It's not a bad thing to recognize a word like funnest, but it should be recognized with the knowledge that it's substandard.
Old March 05, 2009, 01:17 PM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by literacola View Post
I think it sounds better in some situations personally. If someone says "It is the most fun thing in the world" it just sounds bad to my ear. "The funnest thing in the world" sounds much better to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
You are completely correct. Funnest isn't good English, but it exists like bestest, aint and more better, and... We all could add to this list. Language is a big and flexible thing. It's not a bad thing to recognize a word like funnest, but it should be recognized with the knowledge that it's substandard.
I may be wrong, but I think both literacola, and Fazor agree that particularly when talking about "funnest" experiences, the formality and "correctness" of "Most fun" sounds antithetical to the experience it attempts to convey. I think what Fazor was saying was that you wouldn't expect a ceo to even be speaking about "The funnest thing in the world" you would, however, expect a playful soul to be, and therefore, in this case, "funnest" is better.

MPAP
Old March 05, 2009, 01:24 PM
Emerald

Fazor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I may be wrong, but I think both literacola, and Fazor agree that particularly when talking about "funnest" experiences, the formality and "correctness" of "Most fun" sounds antithetical to the experience it attempts to convey. I think what Fazor was saying was that you wouldn't expect a ceo to even be speaking about "The funnest thing in the world" you would, however, expect a playful soul to be, and therefore, in this case, "funnest" is better.

MPAP
Correct. I'm about 2 hours old here, but you'll find I use a lot of examples when I explaine things; and many times they only make sense to myself.

Another way to put it would be "[The most fun thing/the funnest thing] in the world." does not sound very "professional" either way, but at the same time saying "The most fun thing in the world!" in a casual statement may sound overly formal. Personally, I don't think it does. But if "Most fun thing in the world" sounds wrong to you, I could see why it would.
Old March 05, 2009, 01:36 PM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
funnest is more better
MPAP
----------------
Old March 05, 2009, 01:47 PM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
funnest is more better----------------
Si, es mas excellentisímo

MPAP
Old March 05, 2009, 03:32 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Rusty. Then I can say. My wife is the funnest in the party.

I can use the word Funnest in any sentence inside of the English. It's a correct translation for the speech British.

Then I guess that the word Fun has added the (Est) for give a expression of something unit in the moment or the worldwide.

Tags
fresa, funnest, non-standard, superlative

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: