Old June 08, 2009, 04:46 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Los alces tienen los dientes de marfil, lo sé porque estaba caminando por el bosque y encontré un alce muerto.

Las teclas de mi piano son de marfil

Laepelba, puedes decir también "matan a los elefantes por sus colmillos de marfil", o "muchos elefantes son matados por sus colmillos" (oración pasiva)

I hope it'll be helpful
Eso en rojo debiera ser "muertos"

Matado no existe como forma verbal pero se usa en algunos países. En chile lo ocupamos para decir que algo es malo o malísimo.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 08, 2009, 04:56 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I have in my house ivory toys that are of my children, but I believe that the objects to ivory mustn't exist already that the animals are killed for get the ivory in others countries, I'm in opposite with the ivory sells.
Old June 08, 2009, 06:13 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post

Matado no existe como forma verbal pero se usa en algunos países. En chile lo ocupamos para decir que algo es malo o malísimo.
En México se usa "matado" para decir que algo es muy difícil.

Está bien matado = It's really strenuous.
Old June 08, 2009, 09:42 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
En México se usa "matado" para decir que algo es muy difícil.

Está bien matado = It's really strenuous.

Now that you mention it, I have heard it used around here like that.
Old June 08, 2009, 10:07 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
We also use it to describe a hard-working person in school. Like "swot", I think.

Juan no va a ir a la fiesta. Es un matado y va a estudiar toda la noche.
Juan isn't going to the party. He's a swot and will be studying the whole night.
Old June 09, 2009, 12:42 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post

¿Matado no existe como forma verbal? ¿Y cuál es el participio de matar si muerto es participio de morir?

Donde yo vivo no se dice "son muertos", sino "son matados". También se dice: "se han matado animales", no "se han muerto animales" (tiene otro significado: en el primer caso, alguien los ha matado; en el segundo, se han muerto solos).

De todos modos, en el panhispánico de dudas habla del tema y prefiere "muertos" por "matados", aunque ambas son correctas. Pego el enlace:

http://buscon.rae.es/dpdI/SrvltConsulta?lema=matar
Old June 09, 2009, 07:59 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
¿Matado no existe como forma verbal? ¿Y cuál es el participio de matar si muerto es participio de morir?

Donde yo vivo no se dice "son muertos", sino "son matados". También se dice: "se han matado animales", no "se han muerto animales" (tiene otro significado: en el primer caso, alguien los ha matado; en el segundo, se han muerto solos).

De todos modos, en el panhispánico de dudas habla del tema y prefiere "muertos" por "matados", aunque ambas son correctas. Pego el enlace:

http://buscon.rae.es/dpdI/SrvltConsulta?lema=matar
Tienes razón. Me equivoqué estaba pensando en el verbo morir. Aunque siempre nos enseñaron en la escuela que era preferible usar muerto y no matado.

Gracias.
Old June 09, 2009, 08:18 AM
Diamond

The Matados meaning two things in Spanish, when someone is killed, for example, (La persona del semaforo fue matado por carro). This one is one example of the use correct of the word mainly that word is used for that kind to news, instead of the other way to use the word is when you feel that some homework is hard to do, for example in this example one pupil feels that is very hard answer the quiz. ( Juanito encuentro muy matado el examen).

The translation of the last one is.

Juanito I feel that the quiz is very hard.
Old June 09, 2009, 08:35 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Passive voice for "matar" sounds rather awkward to me too. I would prefer "ser asesinado" for persons or "ser cazado", "ser perseguido" or even "masacrado", "destazado", "destripado", etc. for animals.

But if I have to choose, it's always much better to use active voice like "se les asesina", "se les caza", "se les persigue"...

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; June 09, 2009 at 10:45 AM. Reason: clarity
Old June 09, 2009, 09:21 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
Passive voice for "matar" sounds rather awkward to me too. I would prefer "ser asesinado" for persons or "ser cazado", "ser perseguido" or even "masacrado", "destazado", "destripado"...

But if I have to choose, it's always much better to use active voice like "se les asesina", "se les caza", "se les persigue"...

Yes your examples are easier to pronoun than the other one, but I believe that for example sound rather awkward the word Masacrado, demembrado, destazado all they sound very strong than Asesinado, this last one sound more natural the other ones, there they make to be afraid to someone when to listen thus word, I don't believe that sound better than Asesinado, I'm going to write two example using yours word and the mine.

One person the yesterday was killed for one person who said that kill for that heated to the other person one witness watched the made declared the succeed.

Una persona ayer fue asesinada por una persona quien dijo that odiaba a la persona quien asesino, un testigo vio los hechos y declaro lo sucedido.

Yesterday for the night, one person was dismember in the street eight with nice near of the breakwater, three person who watched the succeed around of the three of the morning commented that the person walked to side of the person and with one knife stared to stab to the person until the person fall to the floor died the killer continued stabbing to the person until his die.

Ayer por la noche una persona fue desmembrada en la calle 8 con 9 cerca de el malecon, 3 personas observaron los sucedido alrededor de las tres de la mañana comentaron que la persona camino o un lado de la persona y con un cuchillo comenzo a puñalar a la persona hasta que la persona callo al suelo muerta el asesino continou apuñalando a la persona hasta que murio.

If you can see the different between the two sentences, the fist one is more natural say killer than the second one in to say to dismember, I don't know as is used in other places and as it's placed in text of other countries but at least in my own view point is more healthy to say killer the other one.

Tags
colmillo, elefante, ivory, marfil

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: