Old April 19, 2012, 06:46 PM
Opal

Native Language: Español
cogu is on a distinguished road
Mind you

Hi there!

I'm a student of English. I've heard the expression "mind you" in many ocasions, mainly in colloquial speech, and whenever I hear it I don't know how to interpret it. Sometimes it seems to mean "however", and sometimes it seems to mean "you know", and sometimes I don't know what it means. It really confuses me.

Could you give me some examples of the use of the sentence? I know asking for a translation of this sentence is tricky, but I'd appreciate clear examples of its use, in order to see if I'm able to understand, or to find a pattern.

Thanks in advance!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 19, 2012, 07:14 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Hola Cogu:

Check this link out http://www.wordreference.com/es/tran...nword=mind+you

]
Old April 19, 2012, 07:54 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogu View Post
Hi there!

I'm a student of English. I've heard the expression "mind you" on many occasions, mainly in colloquial speech, and whenever I hear it I don't know how to interpret it. Sometimes it seems to mean "however", and sometimes it seems to mean "you know", and sometimes I don't know what it means. It really confuses me.

Could you give me some examples of the use of the phrase? I know asking for a translation of this phrase will be tricky, but I'd appreciate clear examples of its use, in order to see if I'm able to understand, it or to find a pattern.

Thanks in advance!
Mostly, the phrase is used to emphasize what was just said or what follows it. It can also be used to interject contrasting information.
Other phrases can be used instead, like 'on the other hand', 'however', 'admittedly', 'I must admit/say' and 'you know'.

Mind you, don't go swimming on a full stomach. (adds emphasis, a degree of caution)
It doesn't matter, mind you, that I have no date. (adds emphasis)
I don't like dogs, mind you. ('you know'; adds emphasis)
A degree is required for this job. Mind you, previous work experience is considered in kind. ('however'; preface to contrasting information)
Old April 19, 2012, 09:11 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Additionally mind you can almost always be replaced with bear in mind that.(llevar en tu mente).
Old April 19, 2012, 09:26 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Just a slight correction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Additionally mind you can almost always be replaced with bear in mind that.(llevar en tu mente) (Tomar en cuenta) .
My old teachers used to replace "mind you" with "please note" too.
Old April 20, 2012, 04:21 AM
Opal

Native Language: Español
cogu is on a distinguished road
Thanks a lot for your answers, and especially to Rusty for correcting my English. Very appreciated.

These examples were helpful:

Mind you, don't go swimming on a full stomach. (adds emphasis, a degree of caution)
It doesn't matter, mind you, that I have no date. (adds emphasis)
I don't like dogs, mind you. ('you know'; adds emphasis)
A degree is required for this job. Mind you, previous work experience is considered in kind. ('however'; preface to contrasting information)

I think I understand that when "mind you" connects two sentences, it means however, although... But I am still kind of confused when it comes to the "adds emphasis" part. I'm afraid that I don't understand what kind of emphasis or feeling the sentence adds.

I don't like dogs in particular is the example that confuses me the most. In Spanish, if I wanted to add emphasis to this sentence:

No me gustan los perros. I don't like dogs.

I would say:

No me gustan nada los perros / No me gustan los perros en absoluto / Odio los perros.

In English I would go for "I don't like dogs at all."

It seems to me that it's not this kind of emphasis what "mind you" adds. Is it more like looking for the attention of the listener? Kind of:

No me gustan los perros, mira tú /mira por dónde.

Or:

No me gustan los perros, ¿sabes?

It's really hard for me to get the intention. In the case of "mira tú", the sentence sounds like: I don't like dogs, go figure! (???) whereas in the case of ¿sabes?, that ¿sabes? doesn't mean anything. Rather, it seems that the speaker doesn't have nothing to say next ...it sounds a bit silly.
Old April 20, 2012, 05:35 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogu View Post
... It seems to me that it's not this kind of emphasis that "mind you" adds. Is it more like looking for the attention of the listener? Yes. And it can serve as a filler, which is also one of the things you mentioned.

... whereas in the case of ¿sabes?, that ¿sabes? doesn't mean anything. Rather, it seems that the speaker doesn't have anything to say next...
Creo que has dado en el clavo. A veces no significa nada la frase. En otros casos, sirve para llamar la atención del oyente.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: