Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Your Personal Learning Process

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old May 15, 2009, 01:38 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisenar View Post
I think that there is a big difference between learning the rules of spanish and being able to speak fluidly. I think its almost two completely different things and you have to do them both in order to become truly fluent.
Yes. As you have said that are two different things the speak the language and to speak the language fluidly, but I think never is bad a little to handle in the learning any language.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 15, 2009, 02:14 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Norwegian
Vikingo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Yes, I'm agree with you, I guess that you sometimes have to work very hard to learn the language as your needed, then I feel that if you have troubles with your learning but you can do less stressing your learning in Spanish taking one time to the time, I mean, if you need study some verbs today any verbs, then you study only the you need to study today, you don't get more homework that day, because your brain won't take much information and you can stressing you if you take more information of the normal.
I think it's important to work hard at times, and especially in the beginning, when we're talking about languages. It goes a long way, since you always forget quickly. Sitting down quietly and remembering "aba, abas, aba, ábamos, ábais, aban", doesn't take long, but it gives a reward immediately. It's also a matter of not falling into a trap of saying to yourself that "oh... this is too hard for me right now", since that is just a negative attitude that will get you nowhere.

Take the big blocks first, and the rest will follow as you work through it afterwards. And in all the romance languages verb conjugation is squarely among the big blocks. Now, when exactly to USE this or that tense is more involved, and that skill will develop over time. But first you need to recognize them.

So if NiCACHiCA feels a bit overwhelmed right now, that's just her brain working. A good thing. As long as she repeats the conjugations regularly, she'll get them down, anything else would be impossible.

If you stop at the present tense, you really can't READ anything. And that's a goal in itself. Start reading, and pay attention to what's written.

Saludos
Old May 28, 2009, 05:10 PM
Ruby

Native Language: U.S. English
AutumnBreeze is on a distinguished road
I know this thread's kinda on the old side but I wanted to comment anyway .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingo View Post
I think it's important to work hard at times, and especially in the beginning, when we're talking about languages. It goes a long way, since you always forget quickly. Sitting down quietly and remembering "aba, abas, aba, ábamos, ábais, aban", doesn't take long, but it gives a reward immediately. It's also a matter of not falling into a trap of saying to yourself that "oh... this is too hard for me right now", since that is just a negative attitude that will get you nowhere.

Take the big blocks first, and the rest will follow as you work through it afterwards. And in all the romance languages verb conjugation is squarely among the big blocks. Now, when exactly to USE this or that tense is more involved, and that skill will develop over time. But first you need to recognize them.

So if NiCACHiCA feels a bit overwhelmed right now, that's just her brain working. A good thing. As long as she repeats the conjugations regularly, she'll get them down, anything else would be impossible.

If you stop at the present tense, you really can't READ anything. And that's a goal in itself. Start reading, and pay attention to what's written.

Saludos
This is where I'm at. I guess I try and attack everything at first, get overwhelmed, then fall into a study pattern that works for me .

What's really been great for me is writing everything I need down on flash cards. From verb conjugations to grammar basics to vocab to whatever. I've now found that that is so much better for me than note taking in a notebook.

I've been trying to think of what words and phrases I tend to use the most with my son and work on those too. This tends to lead me down the path of an area I need to focus on more.

I'm getting ready to sit down with 501 Spanish verbs, which I checked out of the library this afternoon. Looks like it will be of great use!

If I come across something on the internet that looks useful I'll print it out and put it with my study packets.

Eh, I think I'm rambling now. Perfect time to get off the 'puter and go study .

ETA: Oh, ¡Exacto!:
http://www.amazon.com/Exacto-Practical-Guide-Spanish-Grammar/dp/0071396519
has been indispensable in my studies .

Last edited by AutumnBreeze; May 28, 2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old May 29, 2009, 07:45 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Norwegian
Vikingo is on a distinguished road
I agree that flashcards are great! I use a flashcard program on my PDA, and whenever I have to wait for something I know what to do. In the beginning of my studies I thought that such a thing would be silly, but I've found it to be an effective way to repeat and remember.
Old May 29, 2009, 08:07 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingo View Post

Saludos
Yes and I accept your commentary about it, I believe that the learning of some language is hard always you frowned the rewards in the your brain and you get goals in your life, if you like some thing in your life you must to try to do the better possible in your learning and you never must stop if you started with the learning, then the language does not nowhere but the never will arrives alone to your heat then, I believe and I agree with you.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:49 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
501 Spanish verbs! I think I don't use even half
Old May 29, 2009, 01:35 PM
Ruby

Native Language: U.S. English
AutumnBreeze is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
501 Spanish verbs! I think I don't use even half
lol I'm finding the parts that talk about the tenses and how they relate to each other, the exercises you can do in the back of the book, and when they talk about grammar basics the most useful . It's also good to see the verbs conjugated and laid out the way they are in the book but that I will get in time anyway.

I don't think I'll end up using half of these either .
Old May 29, 2009, 02:43 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnBreeze View Post
lol I'm finding the parts that talk about the tenses and how they relate to each other, the exercises you can do in the back of the book, and when they talk about grammar basics the most useful . It's also good to see the verbs conjugated and laid out the way they are in the book but that I will get in time anyway.

I don't think I'll end up using half of these either .
Oh! Ok, I understand. Anyway I think I was overdoing (exagerando?). I meant half of the half (how could I say "la mitad de la mitad"?)
Old May 30, 2009, 10:18 AM
Diamond

Overdoing meaning Exagerado.

I think that you may to say between half to half.

I'm not very sure in it.
Old May 30, 2009, 10:52 AM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Oh! Ok, I understand. Anyway I think I was overdoing (exagerando?). I meant half of the half (how could I say "la mitad de la mitad"?)
Overdo takes a direct object--
I think I overdid it. = Creo que lo presioné mucho.
I think I overdid it. = Creo que hice demasiado esfuerzo.

For exagerar, use exaggerate.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: