Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

How to Think in Spanish

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old May 21, 2010, 03:09 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Exactly. You are not a baby who needs to start expressing him/herself.

At to your last statement, which is true, is not as valid as some years ago, since we have the Internet available to two of our senses, and if applied correctly, you don't even need to go out of your home to learn another language.

Of course, nothing beast "being there" ...
Chileno he's not a baby just he's a great learning.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 21, 2010, 04:22 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Chileno he's not a baby just he's a great learning.
Right.
Old May 21, 2010, 05:38 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Of course, nothing beast "being there" ...
Yeah, that Chileno. He's a beast.
Old May 21, 2010, 09:52 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
Yeah, that Chileno. He's a beast.
No, I am the beast.

Thank you for pointing that out. I am correcting that reply.
Old September 03, 2010, 06:21 PM
Emerald

Native Language: Bicol/Tagalog; English = second language
vita32 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equis View Post
associating words with pictures works very well
This is right. It will work for me and maybe I'll try this while memorizing the verb conjugation and picture the action in my head for each verb. Anyone has any suggestions on how not to confuse the different tenses?
Thanks.
Old September 03, 2010, 06:33 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Ultimately I have tried the computer method where I can search all words in the on line dictionary and I can recognize the words immediately I can remember them.

Almost all the days, I write in a notes block the words that I don't recognize immediately, then I write them and when I want to use them, I get them directly of the note block.

Really it works for me and always it has worked for me.
Old September 03, 2010, 11:38 PM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Chris is on a distinguished road
@CrOtALiTo: Notebook or spiral notebook. Pad of paper or notepad can be used. Just like the Windows operating system has a writing program called Notepad.

I think that using an image to associate the word is the best thing. Sometimes it's difficult to retain the word without it. There are websites that have flash cards that are really helpful. They show a picture of a key and the word llave. It helps you set the word in your mind without thinking "key" and you start thinking llave instead. I have an Android powered phone and there is a program on it called StudyDroid. It is a flashcard application. You can build your own cards and even add images. Usually the words that I don't understand and go look up I have to look up again later because I haven't made that connection in my brain I guess.

TV and movies help a lot. When I first started listening to Spanish it sounded like gibberish. Now I don't understand a lot of words but it doesn't sound like gibberish and I can pick out a few words that I do recognize.
Old September 04, 2010, 01:50 AM
Ruby

Feliz is on a distinguished road
How to Think in Spanish

Interesting topic and good ideas here. I found it useful. I use the "pause" and "re-wind" buttons a lot on my computer to watch Spanish movies in my DVD player. The ones with sub-titles reinforce my learning even a step further. For instance a woman is getting up from the table and she says: "Con permiso." I ask myself: "Did I hear right?" Then, I look at the sub-title and it verifies if I heard right or not. That's when I press the "pause button."--to take the time to think about it. The sub-title reads: "Excuse me." Every time this happens in a move I have to laugh because I know that my brain has captured another one. Knowing when to use the right "excuse me" was troublesome until I heard it many times in the movies in many different situations. I especially like the: "Perdoname." because I haven't seen it in print yet. I can still see the guy walking away from that group of people on the dance floor whom he has just met while saying: "Perdoname." I just wish all of Spanish could be learned this way. Please correct my Spanish, what little there is in this post. I also am learning how to post properly and hope that I get it right this time.
Old September 04, 2010, 06:46 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feliz View Post
Interesting topic and good ideas here. I found it useful. I use the "pause" and "re-wind" buttons a lot on my computer to watch Spanish movies in my DVD player. The ones with sub-titles reinforce my learning even a step further. For instance a woman is getting up from the table and she says: "Con permiso." I ask myself: "Did I hear right?" Then, I look at the sub-title and it verifies if I heard right or not. That's when I press the "pause button."--to take the time to think about it. The sub-title reads: "Excuse me." Every time this happens in a move I have to laugh because I know that my brain has captured another one. Knowing when to use the right "excuse me" was troublesome until I heard it many times in the movies in many different situations. I especially like the: "Perdoname." because I haven't seen it in print yet. I can still see the guy walking away from that group of people on the dance floor whom he has just met while saying: "Perdoname." I just wish all of Spanish could be learned this way. Please correct my Spanish, what little there is in this post. I also am learning how to post properly and hope that I get it right this time.
That's why a recommend reading a lot and also watching movies without subtitling.
Old September 04, 2010, 09:38 AM
Señor Speedy

Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
@Feliz: perdóname
You correctly suffixed the pronoun to the imperative (command), and I'm sure you pronounced the resulting word correctly. However, when a pronoun is suffixed to an imperative, we need to make sure the stressed syllable of the imperative is maintained even though a trailing syllable has "joined the ranks." This sometimes means that an accent needs to be written. Good job.

Have a look at these examples:

di (2nd-person imperative of decir)
dime (same imperative with a suffixed pronoun - no accent is needed in the imperative because the its syllable is still stressed)
dímelo (same impertaive with two suffixed pronouns - accent is needed in the imperative to maintain the stress in the proper syllable)

diga (3rd-person imperative of decir)
dígame (same imperative with a suffixed pronoun - accent needed to maintain the stress in the proper syllable)
dígamelo (you know the drill)

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: