Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Listening

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old September 24, 2010, 08:42 AM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Chris is on a distinguished road
I think watching TV is beneficial to learning. Especially the commercials because they are repeated a lot and then when you watch in your native language they say the same thing.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 24, 2010, 08:52 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
hmmm... ¿Y cómo lo hacen los bebés? Supongo que no tienen la opción de acudir a un diccionario....
Tienen el cerebro más nuevo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think watching TV is beneficial to learning. Especially the commercials because they are repeated a lot and then when you watch in your native language they say the same thing.
You're right, good idea. But... (siempre hay un pero... ) when I change the language in the TV, commercials are in Spanish here.
Old September 24, 2010, 10:04 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Tienen el cerebro más nuevo.
Nada que ver con que tengan el cerebro más nuevo, pero sí el hecho que usan el cerebro sin prejuicios, solo lo utilizan para aprender/absorber sin "filtros".

Diferente.
Old September 24, 2010, 12:17 PM
Diamond

Bueeeno Pero yo sí que tengo "filtros".

También están inmersos lingüísticamente en ese idioma. Es diferente aprender un idioma estando en contacto con él continuamente que aprenderlo "en la distancia", por decirlo de alguna manera.
Old September 24, 2010, 01:02 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yesterday I was reading a blog for learning English. The author said that usually listening is not practised enough and we should listen and listen and listen all the day (as a child learns his/her own language). I try to listen one hour a day or sometimes more, but there are days when I don't have enough time to listen (and on weekends that's almost impossible ). I listen Vaughan TV and BBC or CNN, but I find the last two a bit boring after 30 minutes or so of listening to news without understanding about a 70%, more or less.

A student said that he reads and listens to audiobooks and listening and reading at the same time has helped him a lot to understand what is been said and that his exams have been successful with that method. Another one says that he practise listening as much as he can. And so on.

How much time do you spend listening the language you are studying? What do you think the best method is?
I have tried before to use the news channel from U.S.A as you have told us, the CNN between others, but anyway I don't achieve to understand more than the 30 per cent of that they are saying it, and sometimes that result very boring for me.

Instead of, I have listed other audio files or yourtube video and I can understand everything they say there, therefore, I consider that the news in those channel are very hard to understand when you aren't a native speaker, I guess for more you are studying English and if you know enough the language, it almost impossible understand everything said in the news.
Old September 24, 2010, 01:08 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Bueeeno Pero yo sí que tengo "filtros".
Si crees que la educación y el saber gramática son algunos de los filtros que tienes. Estás equivocada. Son herramientas a las cuales puedes acudir y utilizar.

Quote:
También están inmersos lingüísticamente en ese idioma. Es diferente aprender un idioma estando en contacto con él continuamente que aprenderlo "en la distancia", por decirlo de alguna manera.
Justamente esto es uno de los filtros que tienes. Y la mayoría de la gente la tiene también.

En cuanto a estar inmerso en el lenguaje, en mi tiempo era válido, ahora con el internet y al grado en que se puede utilizar, ya no creo que sea tan válida como respuesta/valla/excusa.

Aunque siempre muy útil. Como toda herramienta a la que se puede usar.
Old September 24, 2010, 01:35 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Si crees que la educación y el saber gramática son algunos de los filtros que tienes. Estás equivocada. Son herramientas a las cuales puedes acudir y utilizar.

Justamente esto es uno de los filtros que tienes. Y la mayoría de la gente la tiene también.

En cuanto a estar inmerso en el lenguaje, en mi tiempo era válido, ahora con el internet y al grado en que se puede utilizar, ya no creo que sea tan válida como respuesta/valla/excusa.

Aunque siempre muy útil. Como toda herramienta a la que se puede usar.
No, lo que he estudiado en inglés no es un filtro para entender, al contrario. Me refiero a que tengo filtros en el sentido de que tengo muchas cosas en la cabeza y poco tiempo para dedicarme a lo que realmente quiero. Y bueno, lo del tiempo pues también se aplica a lo último. Pero claro, es muy diferente. Internet te abre muchas puertas (aunque también cierra algunas ).

Crotalito, I think a video in Youtube is more interesting than news from CNN. So, attention plays an important role.
Old September 24, 2010, 04:21 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Well, I agree with everything said... or written.

Key is to be freed from misunderstood words. And yes, nowadays... a word or symbol you don't understand, you have to clear it up in a good dictionary... or ask about it. One single misunderstood word, can "blank out" everything that comes after it.

Have ever experienced getting to the end of a page (in a book) and realize you were thinking about something else, and had no clue of what you had just "read". The whole page is "blank" in your mind. If you go back and find the word or symbol you missed... clear it up... and magically you understand the rest 100% not 70, not 80, no nothing. Full conceptual understanding.
I could go onto a full "dissertation" about this subject, but besides technical words and idiomatic expressions which are the common known "bugaboos" of any language... the worse ones are the "small common words". They are in my view the worse ones because they are used so profusely that "everybody knows" them. But you'll be amazed at how even native speakers have incomplete definitions of words such as "to" (Random House gives 26 definitions for "to", plus one idiom.) Words such as "run" (Random gives just 177 definitions for this little three letter 'simple' word.)

So, rather than watch live TV without the option to replay, I'd go with things you can replay (like in the Internet).

I used to study a full 60 to 90 minutes lecture everyday, having an English script and a glossary for hard to find words, and that helped me... I got to a point where I was listening 3 lectures (180 minutes) a day... Of course, I liked the subject very much, and that helped a lot. If you have a fun subject you are interested on, then it is easier.

I do not recommend "news", as these are written normally by "merchant of chaos" and they sell "chaos". If one doesn't read a newspaper for a week, normally his emotional tone level and stability increases notably... (I am talking from experience, not just "de oídas", not just hearsay.)

But I'm veering into another subject, now...

Summary: Clear words, use them in sentences of your own, try to imitate, to talk yourself... sing the song... "To Morrow"... you know, "you should have gone to Morrow, yesterday and come back today... for the train that goes to Morrow is a mile upon its way..." (Above all, keep having fun...)
Old September 24, 2010, 05:33 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post

So, rather than watch live TV without the option to replay, I'd go with things you can replay (like in the Internet).
I recommend movies because your mind can "couple" action with what's been said. But that's not all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
I used to study a full 60 to 90 minutes lecture everyday, having an English script and a glossary for hard to find words, and that helped me... I got to a point where I was listening 3 lectures (180 minutes) a day... Of course, I liked the subject very much, and that helped a lot. If you have a fun subject you are interested on, then it is easier.
This is where the important thing happens. You harness audio with the written word. You get all this together and you are on your way.
Old September 25, 2010, 01:20 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
¡Qué va! Hay un anuncio aquí de algún helado Magnum que tiene un guión que nada tiene que ver con el inglés. (Y luego hay los anuncios que no se traducen, o incluso algunos de empresas españolas que no venden fuera de España pero hacen publicidad en inglés).

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: