Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture

Spanish Lunch Time Culture

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Closed Thread

Old September 26, 2016, 08:15 AM
Opal

El-Wilsano is on a distinguished road
Talking Spanish Lunch Time Culture

Hola a todos,

I have a few questions about Spanish culture around Lunchtime, I was wonder if anyone would be able to talk to me about their experiences with how lunch time compares to dinner time.

I'm producing a report around the difference between lunchtime and dinner time. I am aware that around 2-4pm in Lunch time in Spain and that it is considered their main meal of the day.

I was hoping that someone would be able to give me insight into what actually happens at lunchtime, do people tend to order food from companies like Just eat, or do they tend to visit restaurants.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 26, 2016, 10:23 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Meal time varies from country to country, but in Spain lunch starts around 2:30 in the afternoon, and it is the principal meal of the day Sometimes restaurants open early accommodating early diners mostly from other countries. In Mexico, it a little earlier, maybe 2PM. It's the principal meal as well. It's not called almuerzo, but la comida
Old July 06, 2017, 11:11 PM
Opal

DianaRay is on a distinguished road
Lunchtime is the main meal of the day but most of Spanish people stil eat a lot at dinner. I can say that Spanish always eat a lot and it's a big secret for me how Spanish women manage to stay in a slim shape

For we the most irritating thing was that most of restaurants close between lunchtime and dinner time (from 4 till 7 p.m.). So, if you're starving at around 5p.m., it's really hard to find any place to eat.
Old July 07, 2017, 02:57 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Wilsano View Post
I was hoping that someone would be able to give me insight into what actually happens at lunchtime, do people tend to order food from companies like Just eat, or do they tend to visit restaurants.
Most of my colleagues bring food which they (or in some cases their boyfriends) have prepared at home, which they reheat in the microwave. I buy prepared salads and sandwiches from the supermarket, and one colleague has started imitating me. They thought it was strange that I didn't bring homemade food, but when I said that I didn't see the point in cooking something to then put it in the fridge and reheat it they agreed that it was a reasonable point of view.

We eat in the back room at work and then go to the bar across the road for coffee.
Old July 18, 2017, 04:28 AM
Opal

movedtospain2017 is on a distinguished road
Hello! (first post!)

Lunchtime in Spain is usually around 2pm. In the office that I work in everyone brings in their food from home.

What I've noticed though is that the restaurants are very busy for lunchtime on the weekends.

Some people do go out to restaurants for the "menu del día" during the week as well...because it's quite cheap 8-10€ for a 3 course meal here in Asturias (during the week), but I guess it depends on how long you have for your lunch. I know people who have 2 hours so actually just go home to eat lunch.
Old July 18, 2017, 11:38 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Those all inclusive lunches also come wine, and not just a glass of wine. If the wine is sour, ask for una gaseosa or Casera. This is a clear bubbly soft drink which mixes well with wine. There's no need to finish this entire bottle.
Old July 26, 2017, 01:00 AM
Opal

Dannylearns is on a distinguished road
when living in Slovakia, I would have lunch with my Spanish colleagues and we often ate whole pizzas and (ssssh) a beer..

Is this Spanish culture too?
Old July 26, 2017, 05:27 AM
Opal

movedtospain2017 is on a distinguished road
Yes! The wine is the best part. When my cousin came to visit me.. he kept saying "can we drink the whole bottle? ARE YOU SURE" Ahahaha

I prefer it with Casera (vino con casera).
Closed Thread

Tags
almuerzo, comida, desayuno, lunch

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: