Old May 03, 2010, 07:25 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Talking Heads up!

This is just a heads up (more like a warning!) for y'all....

As I've already told you, I'm going to be studying Spanish in Buenos Aires in June and July. I will be taking two courses (concurrently) for four weeks. On Saturday, I received the syllabus for each course. Most of the work in the classes will be oral/conversational in nature. But there are twice weekly writing assignments, 125 words each; and eight written reflextions on the mandatory excursions/tours, etc. of 75 words each.

Based on the university's "honor code", I don't think that I want to post my writing assignments here for suggestions/corrections - I think I just want to see how I can do on my own.

But what I would like to do (if I can find the time...) is between now and the time I leave to write 125 word practice journal entries, post them here for correction, so that I can get into "the groove".

Here are some of the topics that I need to practice writing about:
- description of a cultural event that has surprised me
- description of a family (in Argentina, it will be my host family)
- description of a personal occurrence
- description of my favorite place (while in Argentina, it will be my favorite place in Argentina)
- write a letter to someone describing an event
- write a letter narrating something that is done differently in BsAs (might be difficult to "practice" this one... but I'll think of something)
- write about someone I've met
- write about a local or national event, learned about in a newspaper or television news broadcast

For some reason 125 words doesn't seem like a lot now, but it will probably seem like a HUGE amount when I start trying to write them.

I am always SO grateful for the support and help and encouragement that I receive from everyone here at Tomisimo!! You guys are the best!!!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 03, 2010, 07:53 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post

For some reason 125 words doesn't seem like a lot now, but it will probably seem like a HUGE amount when I start trying to write them.
Well, I would like to earnestly advise you to do what I have been telling you all this time, when it comes to think about what to say etc.

You don't find 125 words to be a lot, and there is a simple reason for that. Since you know how to express yourself in English, it really isn't a big deal to describe something in 125 words, as a matter of fact most likely you would need more than 125 words to accommodate what you want to say nicely.

The problem starts from the Spanish standpoint,then 125 words starts to look like a tome.

Please, follow my advise of thinking and writing in English what you want to say in Spanish, so your thinking doesn't scatter. That's all.

I won't press my point anymore.
Old May 03, 2010, 10:45 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I wish you good luck with your study in the Argentina.
I hope that you get a lot of knowledge during your training.

Please later you could to telling us as how you was out there.
Old May 04, 2010, 03:57 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Español
Ambarina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is just a heads up (more like a warning!) for y'all....

I am always SO grateful for the support and help and encouragement that I receive from everyone here at Tomisimo!! You guys are the best!!!
Seguro que te será fácil escribir 125 palabras sobre los temas que has enumerado. Describir un evento cultural que te haya sorprendido, la familia, algo que se haga de diferente manera en Buenos Aires, una persona que hayas conocido o demás temas, seguro que te hacen sobrepasar ese número de palabras.
No son tareas ingratas dado que al final de tu estancia, tendrás un diario o algo parecido, que en un tiempo futuro podrás consultar, y recordarás lo buenos momentos.

Por cierto, 125 palabras son tarea fácil para corregir. Los amigos de Tomísimo te echaremos una mano entre todos para que puedas mejorar. El aviso para navegantes o “Heads up” está demás, pues este mensaje tiene exactamente 125 palabras y desde luego, no son demasiadas.

Hope you understood!
Old May 04, 2010, 07:09 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambarina View Post
Seguro que te será fácil escribir 125 palabras sobre los temas que has enumerado. Describir un evento cultural que te haya sorprendido, la familia, algo que se haga de diferente manera en Buenos Aires, una persona que hayas conocido o demás temas, seguro que te hacen sobrepasar ese número de palabras.
No son tareas ingratas dado que al final de tu estancia, tendrás un diario o algo parecido, que en un tiempo futuro podrás consultar, y recordarás lo buenos momentos.

Por cierto, 125 palabras son tarea fácil para corregir. Los amigos de Tomísimo te echaremos una mano entre todos para que puedas mejorar. El aviso para navegantes o “Heads up” está demás, pues este mensaje tiene exactamente 125 palabras y desde luego, no son demasiadas.

Hope you understood!
I DO understand - thank you, Ambarina! The thing that scares me a bit is that I have been doing the majority of my Spanish writing here on Tomisimo, always knowing that I'll get good corrections. The thought of writing for a grade, without Tomisimo to correct my work before handing it in makes me nervous. Yet again, this whole "going back to school" thing is making me nervous, too........
Old May 05, 2010, 07:10 AM
Diamond

Quote:
I DO understand - thank you, Ambarina! The thing that scares me a bit is that I have been doing the majority of my Spanish writing here on Tomisimo, always knowing that I'll get good corrections. The thought of writing for a grade, without Tomisimo to correct my work before handing it in makes me nervous. Yet again, this whole "going back to school" thing is making me nervous, too........
In that respect, I would have to advise you not to care much about inserting your foot, because one learns from errors.

Be ready to laugh at yourself. When I say "be ready" I mean for you to be keen of/at/to (?) your errors and to possible "fixes" and not to "laugh them away".

About the going back to school feeling, enjoy it (this time). After all, now you are an adult that is seeking to learn, so why not enjoy it?

Old May 05, 2010, 09:59 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
In that respect, I would have to advise you not to care much about inserting your foot, because one learns from errors.

Be ready to laugh at yourself. When I say "be ready" I mean for you to be keen of/at/to (?) your errors and to possible "fixes" and not to "laugh them away".

About the going back to school feeling, enjoy it (this time). After all, now you are an adult that is seeking to learn, so why not enjoy it?

Your words was very inspired.
Old May 05, 2010, 11:50 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Recuerdo cuando hice el A-level, aprender a escribir ensayos de 300 palabras me costó mucho más que el imperfecto del subjuntivo.
Old May 05, 2010, 07:59 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post

It's not that I'm worried about enjoying it. I wish I didn't have to make a certain grade - THAT is what's stressing me out. If I didn't have to work for a grade ... if I could just take the class and do all of the work and have it graded, etc., etc., etc., then I would very MUCH enjoy it. Nothing I have done in the past almost 20 years has been graded - NOTHING. Now I have to get grades for something that I'm emotionally attached to. EEEEKKK!!!

Old May 05, 2010, 11:59 PM
Diamond

Quote:
It's not that I'm worried about enjoying it. I wish I didn't have to make a certain grade - THAT is what's stressing me out. If I didn't have to work for a grade ... if I could just take the class and do all of the work and have it graded, etc., etc., etc., then I would very MUCH enjoy it. Nothing I have done in the past almost 20 years has been graded - NOTHING. Now I have to get grades for something that I'm emotionally attached to. EEEEKKK!!!

hahaha!

Don't worry and be happy. Just make the best you can.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: