Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Español Latino vs Castellano/Español de España

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Closed Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 07:45 AM
Emerald

Caballero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
"Español latino" and "Usian" are both terms with a similar origin and purpose. The only difference are the addressees, one group more inclined to tolerate their assigned term than the other group.
The reason that Usian hasn't caught on to refer to people from the United States of America, and the United States of Mexico, is Usian sounds like some sort of extraterrestrial, or someone who uses something. There are the Vulcans, Romulans, Usians, Klingons, etc. The other reason is that no native speaker of English would ever use that term, as you can't derive a word like that by arbitrarily sticking -ian on any word you please, just like you can't negate a word just by adding un- to it, such as "ungood". It would be like referring to a Spaniard in Spanish as a Españaense, or an Argentine as an Argentinaense. Would they accept that? Would they decide to use it amongst themselves because an English speaker told them to? I doubt it. Therefore the only people that use that "word" in English are non-native speakers. The correct term for that would be "people from the United States"; "US residents", "US citizens" etc. There is no way of shortening it from that. Sorry.

Last edited by Caballero; May 16, 2011 at 08:15 AM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 16, 2011, 09:15 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
The reason that Usian hasn't caught on to refer to people from the United States of America, and the United States of Mexico, is Usian sounds like some sort of extraterrestrial, or someone who uses something. There are the Vulcans, Romulans, Usians, Klingons, etc. The other reason is that no native speaker of English would ever use that term, as you can't derive a word like that by arbitrarily sticking -ian on any word you please, just like you can't negate a word just by adding un- to it, such as "ungood". It would be like referring to a Spaniard in Spanish as a Españaense, or an Argentine as an Argentinaense. Would they accept that? Would they decide to use it amongst themselves because an English speaker told them to? I doubt it. Therefore the only people that use that "word" in English are non-native speakers. The correct term for that would be "people from the United States"; "US residents", "US citizens" etc. There is no way of shortening it from that. Sorry.
I don't know what are you sorry about, but anyway ... yes, we might even speculate about "estadounidiota" being a proper term to address one or two, but "español latino" is an alien term, even though "español" and "latino" are indeed Spanish words and being one of them a noun and the other one an adjective, they can be paired pretty much the same way "sonidos amarillos" does. About valid suffixes for nationality, -ian is one of many, as in Alabamian or Kentuckian so we can experiment a lot and add it to an upgraded-to-acronym initialism and thus get "Usian", which is as valid, properly constructed and real language as "español latino". Both give only a few hundred results in Google, but they might have a brilliant future ahead as ignorance promotes the use of one of them and being considered an irritating slur promotes the use of the other, all by similar ways Atlantans come to be known as truly Yankees as their "beloved" General Sherman.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:28 AM
Emerald

Caballero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
[Usian] is as valid, properly constructed and real language as "español latino"
Yes, it is. If by "valid, properly constructed and real language" you mean invalid, bady constructed, non-native speaker's mistake in a foreign language.

Ok, I'll just trim it down to just that, so as not to confuse people.

Last edited by Caballero; May 16, 2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old June 15, 2011, 09:38 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Castillan spanish
explorator is on a distinguished road
In spanish the word "español" comes directly from de french "espagnol", in fact, words like "españano" or "españaense" would be much more correct from the point of view of the spanish language rules of word formation than our actual adjective. As in the case of our own names, probably the nations do not chose how they want to be known.
Old September 03, 2011, 10:35 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Español
Don José is on a distinguished road
i wonder if we can just talk about two kinds of Spanish, as the title of the thread suggests. I see great differences in the Spanish spoken in Cuba, Mexico and Argentina, just to give some examples.

I found this idea of 'áreas lingüísticas':

Para reforzar el carácter panhispánico de la obra, los borradores fueron debatidos y revisados por una comisión interacadémica formada por el antiguo director de la RAE, Víctor García de la Concha, el secretario de la Asociación de Academias de la Lengua Española (Asale) y un académico representante de cada una de las nueve áreas lingüísticas de la lengua española: México; Chile; Centroamérica; Río de la Plata; área andina; Caribe continental; Antillas; Estados Unidos y Filipinas, y España.

http://www.edu.xunta.es/centros/iespedrasrubias/?q=node/56

So nine kinds of Spanish?

I wonder if someone from the States who learn Mexico Spanish will find the same amount of difficulties in Argentine and in Spain.

I know the 'seseo' is used in the Spanish spoken in America but not by most of the Spanish (I met an English guy who learned Spanish in El Salvador and found difficulty in understanding Spanish in Madrid because of all the 'c' and 'z').
But apart from the 'c' and 'z' pronunciation, I'm ignorant about other characteristics that could identify the Spanish spoken in America as different from the one spoken in Spain. Are there any, many?
Old September 03, 2011, 07:58 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
The use of the vosotros verb form in everyday speech doesn't occur outside of Spain. The vos form is used in several Latin American countries, but not in Spain.
You noted the different c and z pronunciations that only occur in Spain.
Coche (carro, auto) is used in Spain, as is frigorífico (refrigerador, nevera, heladera). Ordenador (computador) is used in Spain. Gis (tiza) is unique to Mexico, as is jitomate (tomate).

It seems necessary to know alternate words, depending on where you want to visit. And it's a good idea to know about what is considered vulgar in some places, but not in others. Avoid local slang.

Last edited by Rusty; September 04, 2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old September 04, 2011, 04:44 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
"Coche" se usa en la Argentina. "Carro" sólo el tirado por caballos. Por eso lo ridículo de esa frasecilla "español latino", invención, o estadounidense, o de país fraccionario cuyo gentilicio impresione como de alcance local, o específicamente de los emigrantes de los unos en los otros. Quienes necesitan una falsa unidad de la lengua de este lado del Atlántico (pronunciado at-lántico en España) en oposición o no a la del otro lado son o ignorantes, o con complejo de inferioridad -después de 200 años no son independientes- o quieren ser "marketizados, chico, que tengo un productico que te quiero vendé, porque somoj latinoj tu y io".
Old November 23, 2011, 03:23 AM
Pearl

La verdad, es que muchísimas veces, he pensado que tras 200 años de independencia, los países que un día fueron parte de la vieja España ya no tienen nada que ver con nosotros (muchas veces he escrito aquí que determinadas maneras de hablar el "Español de América", me parecen calcos de la estructura gramátical del Inglés usando palabras españolas o incluso inglesas hispanizadas.
Otras veces, constato una diversidad tan enorme entre los distintos países que utilizan el Español en América, que no comprendo cómo nadie puede pensar remotamente incluirlos en una misma categoría, como suele hacer el mundo anglosajón.
Y sin embargo, cuando pienso en las calles de Buenos Aires, me doy cuenta de que me recuerdan a las de Madrid, más que las de la mayoría de las ciudades españolas; cuando pienso en Madrid, me acuerdo de que la canción que se ha convertido en una suerte de himno extraoficial de la ciudad, la escribió un méjicano y cuando me fijo en el aspecto físico de quienes aparecen en las series de televisión rodadas en América, reconozco a mis paisanos.
Soy consciente del peso que en muchos países tiene la cultura indígena, soy consciente del derecho al rencor que quienes descienden de esa cultura, tienen contra la cultura de quienes la desplazaron (por cierto, que los descendientes de los que participaron directamente en la conquista suelen ser los américanos que más violentamente se pronuncian contra la misma) y soy consciente de que hace doscientos años que triunfó definitivamente, la concepción del mundo anglosajona, sobre la mediterránea.
Pero también, creo que es una grave anomalía el hecho de que hoy día, sea más fácil para un español, llevarse bien con un alemán que con el que se comunica en Inglés, que con un argentino, un méjicano, un venezolano... que lo primero que hará será reprocharle una historia y unas intenciones que desconoce.

Last edited by explorator; November 23, 2011 at 03:26 AM.
Old November 23, 2011, 08:31 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Creo que haces una falsa generalización. Son muy pocas las personas que se muestran agresivas contra los españoles sólo por ser españoles. La xenofobia existe en todos los países y se manifiesta sólo en algunas personas. En general, aquí se considera algo más bien ridículo que haya americanos o mexicanos que guardan rencor por la conquista. No se puede aprender la historia nacional sólo reconociendo la virtud de la lengua sin apuntar los abusos, ni la fuerza de la religión sin denunciar los azotes. La colonia es un hecho histórico superado y asimilado como parte de la cultura nacional y como apenas un paso en la construcción nacional, que va mucho más allá.

Normalmente la gente reacciona de manera hostil sólo cuando encuentra extranjeros (de cualquier nación, latinoamericana o no) a quienes les importa más mostrar su "superioridad cultural" que conocer el país que visitan, y que son los menos. Por ejemplo, sólo una vez me he encontrado con un español que me dijera "¿y qué se siente ser hija de los conquistados?". Los demás simplemente se adaptan como turistas o como inmigrantes.
Old November 23, 2011, 12:00 PM
Pearl

Es cierto, Angélica, generalizar es, tal vez el más común de los errores. No obstante, no sé si es porque las buenas noticias no son noticias o porque el sesgo hacia lo negativo me domina, soy más consciente de los comentarios de este tipo que de los positivos. Un ejemplo, ultimamente, la prensa española se ha hecho eco de que el presidente de Bolivia, Evo Morales, se quejó de que las cumbres Iberoaméricanas, le parecían no tener sentido, puesto que ningún país de los allí presentes, debía rendir ningún tipo de explicación al Rey de España. ¡Por supuesto que no! ¿Pero qué idea subyace tras este tipo de pensamiento cuando a pasado tanto tiempo desde las independencias américanas? ¿No se tratará inventar de nuevo un enemigo irreal en la figura, un tanto mitificada del cruel español? Comentarios extemporáneos de este tipo han sido proferidos por otros políticos de ese ámbito como por ejemplo Hugo Chavez en Venezuela, quien creo que ha quitado del calendario el "Día de la Hispanidad" sustituyéndolo por algo así como el "Día de la resistencia indígena". Con esto en la mente el texto de AlecCowaN me sugiere que, al menos, él, entiende que España tiene algo que ver con la creación y el uso del término "latinoaméricano", en base a oscuros intereses de afirmacion nacional y comerciales. Nada más lejos de la realidad. De hecho entiendo, que el uso de dicho gentilicio se llevó a cabo precisamente para hacer olvidar la posible herencia común (commonwealth), que los américanos que hablan Español pudieran compartir con nosotros.

Nuevamente se produce aquí la paradoja, precisamente son los gobiernos de Hugo Chávez y Evo Morales los que han gozado de mayor preferencia en la política exterior del último gobierno de mí país, y precísamente es Argentina el país de toda la América que habla español, con el que se realizan más contactos culturales.
¿Quién puede entender esto?
Closed Thread

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: