Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 02, 2010, 12:04 AM
Opal

Vortex is on a distinguished road
Newbie to this forum and Spanish

Hello everybody! My name is Matt and after some debating I have decided to start learning spanish. Two of the main reasons for my decision are for career purposes and political interests.

I'm going to begin college to study linguistics and one of the things that linguists may do is field research in dying under described or undescribed languages. And given the size of the territory spanish is spoken in and the large number of native american languages spoken in that area, knowing spanish would be an incredibly useful tool for me.

And as far as the politic interests are concerned, I'm an anarchist (of the collectivist and syndicalist strains) and spain and the southern parts of mexico are or have been important in real world use of anarchism (CNT-FAI in spain and the Zapatistas in Mexico). So knowing spanish would give me access to first hand accounts and other historical documents that involve these kinds of movements.

I'd also like to use this space to see if anyone has any resources in book, pdf, or website form that they would suggest. Any suggestions are welcome! And as a side note I enjoy books that information dense and I am a fast learner (I use to have a friend who was learning spanish through the high school talk to me in only spanish to see how well I could understand with very little knowledg using only context).

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: