Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Other Languages > Other Languages

You missed the boat if you didn't learn Spanish if you're trying to learn Italian

Being the language lovers that we are... A place to talk about, or write in languages other than Spanish and English.

Closed Thread

Old August 16, 2010, 08:52 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
No hay de qué.
Non c'è di che.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 20, 2010, 03:27 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
Non c'è di che.
Grazie.

Benvenuto per il tuo ritorno. É passato molto tempo senza viderti per qui.
Old August 23, 2010, 08:58 AM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Grazie.

Benvenuto per il tuo ritorno. É passato molto tempo senza viderti per qui.
E vero/Es verdad. Sempre sto qui:
Expats In Italy | Italy

Please Check out our new Expats Forum. A Letter from Paolo Nascimbeni - Founder of Life In Italy. I moved to the US in ... I go back to Italy five times a year and I constantly talk with Italians and Italian companies for my business. ...
www.lifeinitaly.com/life - Cached - Similar
Old August 23, 2010, 11:09 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Li daro' una occhiata.

Your second link doesn't work, but don't worry, I've been able to find it.

Good luck in la bella Italia.
Old August 23, 2010, 07:48 PM
Emerald

Grazie cara amica irmamar. Ci vidiamo dopo!
Old August 25, 2010, 01:54 PM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Awaken is on a distinguished road
Please do not read anything into this as I truly am just looking for your thoughts and thinking out loud from one person's point of view.

In my experience recently with some Europeans (although it is very limited experience), it seems that they did not fully understand the size and situation of the United States. As an example, one of the questions was "What is the weather in the US?" This is the equivalent of asking "What is the weather in Europe?" It is not really possible to answer such a question as a person needs to be more specific and it shows a lack of understanding of the size of the country (not always, but sometimes).

To me, the US is similar to Europe size wise. Government wise perhaps like the European Union in that we have states that are similar in size to an EU country and each state has its own individual laws and cultures like an individual country.

A California native is very different culturally than a Tennessee native. As different in many ways as a Spanish native and an Italian native might be.

On that line of thinking, for many Americans, traveling to another state is similar to traveling to another nearby country in Europe. Just as a UK native traveling to Spain or Italy for a summer holiday, people in the United States would travel down to Florida.

Because of this situation, many Americans never actually leave the country. They spend their life traveling around the United States. Because there is no point in their lives when they envision using another language, it remains as a very low priority for them. And it just isn't a significant part of our culture unlike in Europe where it seems to be common to know multiple languages. This makes sense because it is so easy to travel to another country with a different language.

Not all Americans are the same though. Many of us have had a taste of foreign travel and have realized the benefit of learning another language, especially Spanish in America as the Hispanic population is growing at an incredible rate. I certainly would have learned Italian if I were living in Italy, but I know many Americans who wouldn't. I also know many Hispanics who have lived here for 20+ years that speak very little English, so it isn't always just one culture. I'm sorry if the English used in this post was difficult to understand for anyone still working on their English. Hopefully this sparks some good, but mature discussion.
Old August 25, 2010, 05:18 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
Spanish is second entonces. At least in the U.S. When you're in second place you try harder también.
Suppose there're people who says the first language in the world is the mandarin language.

I don't really it's truly true.
I guess the first language is Spanish likely the American continent speaks Spanish and the second language is English.

Although there diversity of opinions in the thread.
I'm wondering to learn Italian language, although I don't believe that language can be useful for me and my labour life.

I will waiting others suggestions.
Old August 26, 2010, 12:59 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Lithuanian, Russian
HomoVulgaris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
I will waiting others suggestions.
No, the first and the most important language of the world is BLAHBLAHBLAHGUMBU, because everyone in the world is keen sometimes to speak it.

In reality learning languages is not a beauty contest, it's a personal decision every adult language learner takes. You would be suprised, how utterly unuseful Spanish, English, Madarin, <any_language> sometimes can be.
---
No, BLABLABLAÑOL es un líder y lo más importante entre todos otros lenguajes, porque a veces todos lo hablan.

En realidad aprender la lengua no es un concurso de belleza, es una decisión individual que todos adultos estudiantes lingüísticos se toman. Parece mentira, cómo español, inglés, mandarín, <cada_otra_lengua> a veces pueden ser totalmente inútiles.
Old August 27, 2010, 03:44 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
I agree... sometimes a good acquaintance with a Bantu language can be more practical in some places of Africa...
Old August 30, 2010, 09:14 AM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookami View Post
Now that I'am an italian citizen I think it will be a good idea to learn italian
Villa, do you know a good website to do so?
Ciao ookami. Come stai?
There are many websites to learn Italian ma/però if you speak Spanish you can learn Italian rapido. A Spanish speaker can learn Italian 10 times faster than an English speaker.

At any rate do they allow us to post other websites here?
Write to me at Professor50@hotmail.com

I know of one website that has Italian lessons for Spanish speakers and of course many more for English speakers who want to learn Italian.
Closed Thread

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: