Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Oraciones

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old November 22, 2012, 02:35 PM
Opal

Native Language: Russian
Elman is on a distinguished road
Oraciones

Hola a todos!

Que diferecia entre oraciones siguiente? Y podeis traducir cada oracion?

Era mi deporte favorita

Estaba mi deporte favorita

Fui mi deporte favorita

Gracias atentamente

And would you translate:

1) Pero yo te sigo barnizando como el primer dia, carino
2) Ya esta bien que se vaya ahora mismo!

And:
I can't get why "se puede? is translated as "may I come in?"

Gracias atentamente!

Last edited by Rusty; November 22, 2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 22, 2012, 04:26 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elman View Post
¡Hola a todos!

¿Cuál es la diferencia entre las oraciones siguientes? Y ¿podéis traducir cada oración?

Era mi deporte favorito.
It was my favorite sport. (This is correct usage of the verb 'ser' in the imperfect tense. The verb is a copula. The imperfect is the tense used to describe something ongoing in the past and that may still be happening. It is also used to set the stage for something else that happened. And it is used when describing things in the past.)

Estaba mi deporte favorito. (You cannot use the verb 'estar' as a copula.)

Fue mi deporte favorito.
It was my favorite sport. (This is correct usage of the verb 'ser' in the preterit tense (after correcting it to the right person). Usage of the preterit suggests that the sport in question is no longer your favorite.)

And would you translate:

1) Pero yo te sigo barnizando como el primer día, cariño.
But I'll keep varnishing you like the first day, dear. (The sentence comes from a video where wrong words were intentionally inserted for comedy. I wouldn't recommend trying to understand or learn Spanish this way.)

2) ¡Ya está bien que se vaya ahora mismo!
Right now is a good time for you to leave!

And:
I can't get why "¿Se puede? is translated as "May I come in?"
(¿Se puede? is asking permission to do something. In the dialog you took this from, the person was asking permission to 'come in'.)

¡Gracias atentamente!
I corrected several items (in red). Most were places where you left out accent marks, the letter 'ñ' and punctuation. There's an 'Accents' drop-down menu just above where you type. Use it to select and insert the characters you'll need to correctly write in Spanish. I just did.

I also translated the sentences and answered your questions, which I took liberty to rearrange when I merged your posts.
Old November 23, 2012, 02:56 PM
Opal

¡Hola Rusty!

¡Muchas gracias por corregirme! Es muy amable por sú parte.

Según la siguiente pàgina web: http://www.123teachme.com/spanish_verb_conjugation/ser
El tiempo pretèrito para verbo sèr es fui, pero no fuE. Tengo razon?

Tengo otra pregunta:

En el oracion: Te veo mañana, entonces in order to sound formal instead of te, we say la.
Why we don't say usted, here?

Tengo muchas ganar de tener noticias de Usted!

Also,

Que le vaya bien is translated as Have a good day.
How come?

Last edited by Rusty; November 23, 2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts
Old November 23, 2012, 04:18 PM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
¡Hola Rusty!

¡Muchas gracias por corregirme! Es muy amable de/por tu parte. (Me puedes tratar de 'tú'.)

Según la siguiente página web: http://www.123teachme.com/spanish_verb_conjugation/ser
El tiempo pretérito para el verbo ser es fui, pero no fuE. ¿Tengo razón? (Solo en la conjugación primera se usa 'fui'. En la tercera, debe usarse 'fue'.)

Tengo otra pregunta:

En la oración: Te veo mañana, entonces. In order to sound formal, instead of te, we say la.
Why we don't say usted, here? (En esta oración, el pronombre de complemento directo es 'te'. Para referirse a una mujer con más formalidad, se usa 'la' (otro pronombre de complemento directo. Si fuera un hombre a que se refiera, se usaría 'lo'. El pronombre 'usted' es pronombre de sujeto. No se puede cambiar pronombre de sujeto por pronombre de complemento directo.) In Russian, this is the difference between using the nominative case when you meant to use the accusative case. (You can't use 'Вы' when you meant to say 'Вас'.

¡Tengo muchas ganas de tener noticias de ti! (Me puedes tutear.)

Also,

"Que le vaya bien" is translated as "Have a good day."
How come?
"Que le vaya bien" literally means 'may it go well with you'. It's usually said at parting, and can be translated as "Have a good day." That's the best translation of "Que le vaya bien." For friends (or for others you would treat less formally), change the indirect object pronoun to 'te'.
You could say "Que tenga un buen día," which would be the literal translation of the English phrase, but it is not very commonly used. By the way, you always need to choose between using second or third person when addressing another individual. Address me, and other forum members, in the second person, please.
Old November 25, 2012, 05:07 AM
Opal

"you always need to choose between using second or third person when addressing another individual. Address me, and other forum members, in the second person, please." - I couldn't get it. What do you mean?

Donde has aprediendo el Ruso?

Tengo otras preguntas:

1) Que quiere decir: No lo niego...

2) Caer means to fall, drop, hang. But ya caigo is translated as "now I get it".
No caigo!

3) Ella me cae muy mal is I can't stand her. How would you translate it word for word. In order to get the meaning, I just need to know word for word translation, first.

4) Calado hasta los huesos- Soaked to the skin. Can I say empapado here?
Cual es son las diferencias entre calado y empadado?

5)Could you use "te da igual" in the sentence?

6)Estoy de vacaciones- I'm on vacation. Can I say Estoy en vacasiones?

7) Estoy hasta las narices y estoy harto. Cual son las diferencias?

Muchas gracias!
Old November 25, 2012, 08:26 AM
Señor Speedy

Quote:
"you always need to choose between using second or third person when addressing another individual. Address me, and other forum members, in the second person, please." - I couldn't get it. What do you mean?

¿Dónde has aprendido el ruso?
In Russian, you have two ways to address another person. One is not as formal as the other. Here in the forums, when addressing another forum member, you are free to use the less formal form of address when writing in Spanish.
For example, when you wrote "¿Dónde has aprendido el ruso?" you were using the less formal form of 'haber'. 'Has' is the second-person conjugation of 'haber'. 'Ha' is the third-person conjugation.
So, what I was asking you to do is always choose the second-person conjugations of the verbs when addressing us forum members individually.
The second-person plural form (subject pronoun: vosotros,-as) is used in Spain to address more than one of us forums members. In Latin America, the third-person plural form (subject pronoun: ustedes) is used instead. Since I live in the western hemisphere, I am used to hearing and using the third-person plural form.

(I took some Russian in college, to answer your other question.)

Quote:
1) ¿Qué quiere decir, "No lo niego."? Quiere decir, "I don't deny it".)

2) Caer means to fall, drop, hang. But ya caigo is translated as "now I get it".
¡No caigo! (This is idiomatic usage. Using the verb 'caer' to mean that you understand something is akin to using 'get' in English. "I get it" and "I don't get it" are both examples of idiomatic usage. We're using 'get' to mean 'understand'.)

3) Ella me cae muy mal is I can't stand her. How would you translate it word for word. In order to get the meaning, I just need to know word for word translation, first. (Again, this is idiomatic usage. It's not a good idea to try to transliterate (translate word-for-word). Just accept that 'caerle muy bien' and 'caerle muy mal' (the infinitive forms) mean 'to like someone a lot' and 'to dislike someone a lot', respectively. "I can't stand her," is English idiomatic usage to express 'an extreme dislike.' You can't transliterate idiomatic expressions. )

4) Calado hasta los huesos- Soaked to the skin. Can I say empapado here? (Yes. The idiomatic expression is said using either adjective. "Estar calado/empapado hasta los huesos," is the infinitive form of the expression.)
¿Cuáles son las diferencias entre calado y empadado? (These are synonyms.)

5) Could you use "te da igual" in the sentence? "¿Te da igual?" (note the question marks) means "Is it all the same to you?" or other such expressions. "Darle igual" is the infinitive form of this idiomatic expression. "Me da igual," means "It's all the same to me," or "I'm good either way" or "Whatever."

6) Estoy de vacaciones- I'm on vacation. Can I say Estoy en vacaciones? (No. The idiomatic expression is "estar de vacaciones," in the infinitive form.)

7) Estoy hasta las narices y estoy harto. ¿Cuáles son las diferencias? (In the sense of the first idiomatic expression you used, the second is synonymous. But "estar harto" also has another meaning - that of "being full".)

¡Muchas gracias!

Last edited by Rusty; November 25, 2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old March 20, 2013, 12:54 PM
Opal

!Hola a todos!

Le podrias ayudarme con siguente oraciones?

Thank you for writing to tell us about your disappointment with British Airways. Please accept our apologies.

Gracias por escribir para decirnos sobre su desilusion con “British Airways”. Por favour, acepte nuestras disculpas.

We try hard to ensure our customers receive a high level of service at all times, and therefore, we were most concerned to learn about it.

Nosotros intentaremos para asegurar nuestras clientes recibir un alto nivel de servicio en todo momento y por lo tanto, y nos preocupaba mas aprender sobre ello.

British Airways prides itself on being a world leader in customer service

British Airways esta orgulloso de ser un lider mundial en el servicio al cliente.

PS: Please don't correct my accent marks since, in my work place, I can't put them on. But, it's ok. I just want to know the translations.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: