Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Fundación Mítica de Buenos Aires

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old June 29, 2010, 05:33 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Arrow Fundación Mítica de Buenos Aires

I am reading the following text by Jorge Borges: http://www.literatura.org/Borges/FundacionMitica.html I have been given the original Spanish, as well as two differing English translations. I am attempting to understand how the English was translated as it has been. There are a few things that I can't seem to reconcile (in my own mind...) Any suggestions would be greatly welcome. I will be attending a lecture about Borges this evening, and we were asked to read this piece prior to attending the lecture.

1) In the first stanza, I cannot find the word "sueñera" in any dictionary or the RAE. It has been translated as "drowsy" and "torpid". But is "sueñera" a word that is used (ever)?

2) In the fourth stanza, two questions. First, "durmieron extrañados" - one translation says "slept restlessly" the other says "slept easily". I can't figure where they got either... Second (and this may be beyond the scope of a language forum), the line that says "Pero son embelecos fraguados en la Boca..." I know it means that there is some kind of lie/hoax fabricated in a certain neighborhood. But I can't figure out what lie/hoax it's referring to....

3) In the fifth stanza, the first line, I cannot find the word "mitá" anywhere. The phrase "en mitá del campo" has been translated as "open country". What does "mitá" mean?

4) In the seventh stanza, two questions. First, the word "gringo" seems to be used as the name of a dance. I can't find any other reference to that, and the English translations we were given just say "gringo" again. Huh? Second, the term "mandar" is used for the playing of a piano. Is this simply figurative, that a piano is sending out its melody...?

Although my favorite genre will always be my easy-to-read murder mysteries, I have to say that I'm enjoying some of the things by Borges that they've given us. I have enjoyed his descriptions of scenes, events, etc....

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 29, 2010, 05:57 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
I am reading the following text by Jorge Borges: http://www.literatura.org/Borges/FundacionMitica.html I have been given the original Spanish, as well as two differing English translations. I am attempting to understand how the English was translated as it has been. There are a few things that I can't seem to reconcile (in my own mind...) Any suggestions would be greatly welcome. I will be attending a lecture about Borges this evening, and we were asked to read this piece prior to attending the lecture.

1) In the first stanza, I cannot find the word "sueñera" in any dictionary or the RAE. It has been translated as "drowsy" and "torpid". But is "sueñera" a word that is used (ever)?
I imagine a better translation would be dreamy
2) In the fourth stanza, two questions. First, "durmieron extrañados" - one translation says "slept restlessly" the other says "slept easily". I can't figure where they got either... Second (and this may be beyond the scope of a language forum), the line that says "Pero son embelecos fraguados en la Boca..." I know it means that there is some kind of lie/hoax fabricated in a certain neighborhood. But I can't figure out what lie/hoax it's referring to....
The boca is an old somewhat picturesque ghetto of Buenos Aires comprised of desperate people (at the turn of the 20th centurey often immigrants) trying to make a go of it either honestly or dishonestly (this is more in the past than the present--like Manhattan's Lower East Side. So, the sueños extrañados are the embellished dreams of newly-arrived strivers in the Boca.
3) In the fifth stanza, the first line, I cannot find the word "mitá" anywhere. The phrase "en mitá del campo" has been translated as "open country". What does "mitá" mean?
Mitad in proper Spanish
4) In the seventh stanza, two questions. First, the word "gringo" seems to be used as the name of a dance. I can't find any other reference to that, and the English translations we were given just say "gringo" again. Huh? Second, the term "mandar" is used for the playing of a piano. Is this simply figurative, that a piano is sending out its melody...?
I don't have an answer for this especially out of context. Hopefully Ookami will come to the rescue
Although my favorite genre will always be my easy-to-read murder mysteries, I have to say that I'm enjoying some of the things by Borges that they've given us. I have enjoyed his descriptions of scenes, events, etc....
---------------
Old June 29, 2010, 06:01 AM
Diamond

Thanks, Poli!
Old June 29, 2010, 12:03 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
Gringo:
1. adj. coloq. Extranjero, especialmente de habla inglesa, y en general hablante de una lengua que no sea la española. U. t. c. s.

It was a colloquial way for naming Br. people or, in general terms, for naming foreigners that had English as first language. And more generally: all foreigners. But the most common one around here was the first.

Yes, it's figurative.

And its "Jorge Luis" Luis it's not the second name here, it's a part of the first name. "Jorge Luis Borges"
This is not a rule, Luis can be a second name, but in this case is forming a popular name that is "Jorge Luis"

------------

I love Borges. His poetry, tales and essays are for me, the best written things.
If you want to start reading some of his stories, the easiest book is: "El informe de Brodie" The other ones are a lot more difficult, but for me a lot more beautiful too.

http://amediavoz.com/borges.htm
There you can read more poems.

------------

Well, speaking about Borges, I've to go to the airport for taking a flight to US! Goodbye for a while

Last edited by ookami; June 29, 2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old June 29, 2010, 01:07 PM
Diamond

Bárbaro! Gracias, Ookami - enjoy your time in the States!! Thanks for this answer, and for the link for Borges' writing. I am enjoying what I've read thus far!
Old June 29, 2010, 01:43 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Lou Ann: Jorge Luis Borges. Never Jorge Borges.
Old June 30, 2010, 06:30 AM
Diamond

Thanks, both of you, I have been corrected.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: