Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

¿Toma usted cafe cada mañana?

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old September 11, 2010, 12:30 PM
Emerald

Native Language: Bicol/Tagalog; English = second language
vita32 is on a distinguished road
¿Toma usted cafe cada mañana?

Toma usted cafe cada mañana? (Do you drink coffee every morning?)
or
Tomas cafe cada mañana? which one is correct?

Como te gusta tu cafe ( How do you like your coffee)?

Con crema y azucar o cafe plena solamente (with cream and sugar or just plain coffe)?

Corregid me por favor, gracias.

All corrections are appreciated.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 11, 2010, 01:01 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
All of them are correct, except:

"cafe plena solamente" -> café solo / café negro ("café" is a masculine noun, btw.)

and

"corregid me" -> corregidme

Your first sentences could sound more "in Spanish" if you say "por/en la(s) mañana(s)" instead of "...cada mañana". It would be understood that you mean "every morning".

All accents and question marks at the start of the sentences are missing. None of the symbols in Spanish are gratuitous. They are very important to know exactly what you mean. Can you correct the accents?
Old September 11, 2010, 03:14 PM
Emerald

Gracias. Asi:

¿Toma usted cafe por la mañana? or ¿Tomas cafe en la mañana?

Why does "tu" changes to "te"?

Otra vez gracias. ( Again, thank you. Is it ok to say it?)

Old September 11, 2010, 05:48 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by vita32 View Post
Gracias. Asi:

¿Toma usted café por la mañana? or ¿Tomas café en la mañana?

Why does "tu" changes to "te"?

Otra vez, gracias. ( Again, thank you. Is it ok to say it?)
The subject pronoun (notice the accent) means 'you'. It's not the same thing as the word tu (no accent), which means 'your' (and it's a possessive determiner).

The word te (no accent) is an indirect object pronoun. It means '(to) you'. The verb gustar is different from other verbs. If the translation you've learned for this verb is 'to like', please forget that translation. Probably the best translation of the Spanish verb is 'to be pleasing'.

The English verb 'to like' takes a direct object.
The Spanish verb gustar doesn't take a direct object. What is pleasing is the subject of the sentence. Who it is pleasing to is the indirect object (which could be a pronoun). The subject of the sentence doesn't have to precede the verb in Spanish.

Así que: (So

Me gusta el café. = Coffee is pleasing to me (I like coffee).
¿Te gusta el café? = Is coffee pleasing to you (Do you like coffee)?
A él le gusta el café. = Coffee is pleasing to him (He likes coffee).
Here we have to add the indirect object (a él) because the third-person indirect object pronoun le is ambiguous.
A María le gusta el café. = Coffee is pleasing to María (María likes coffee).
A Felipe y yo nos gusta el café. = Coffee is pleasing to Felipe and me (Felipe and I like coffee).
A los estudiantes les gusta el café. = Coffee is pleasing to the students (The students like coffee).

See if you can find the indirect object pronoun for vosotros (2nd-person, plural) and use it in a similar sentence.

The vosotros form is only used in everyday speech in Spain, by the way. Your request (corregidme) is written in this form. The correction I've given you in the past was corrígeme (which is 2nd-person, singular) or corríjanme (which is 3rd-person, plural). The latter is the Latin America equivalent of corregidme.
Old September 11, 2010, 07:49 PM
Emerald

Mas café (leccion), por favor! (More coffee (lesson) please!)

No me gusta el café negro por que esta muy amargo. (I don't like black coffee because it is very bitter.)

Yo tomaría el café si alguien habria llevado a me. ( I would drink coffee if someone would bring it to me).

¿Tomarías el café? Would you drink coffee?

¿Gustarías tomar el café? Would you like to drink coffee?

Me esposo y yo tomamos el café por la mañana. My husband and I drinks coffee every morning.

Un mañana, no tengamos el café por que yo olvidé comprar esta. One morning, we have no coffe because I forgot to buy (it) some.

I woul have expressed it in English like this:

One morning, we did not have coffee because I forgot to buy it.

Thank you for your patience in explaining and correcting.

Old September 25, 2010, 11:01 AM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
The subject pronoun (notice the accent) means 'you'. It's not the same thing as the word tu (no accent), which means 'your' (and it's a possessive determiner).

The word te (no accent) is an indirect object pronoun. It means '(to) you'. The verb gustar is different from other verbs. If the translation you've learned for this verb is 'to like', please forget that translation. Probably the best translation of the Spanish verb is 'to be pleasing'.

The English verb 'to like' takes a direct object.
The Spanish verb gustar doesn't take a direct object. What is pleasing is the subject of the sentence. Who it is pleasing to is the indirect object (which could be a pronoun). The subject of the sentence doesn't have to precede the verb in Spanish.

Así que: (So

Me gusta el café. = Coffee is pleasing to me (I like coffee).
¿Te gusta el café? = Is coffee pleasing to you (Do you like coffee)?
A él le gusta el café. = Coffee is pleasing to him (He likes coffee).
Here we have to add the indirect object (a él) because the third-person indirect object pronoun le is ambiguous.
A María le gusta el café. = Coffee is pleasing to María (María likes coffee).
A Felipe y yo nos gusta el café. = Coffee is pleasing to Felipe and me (Felipe and I like coffee).
A los estudiantes les gusta el café. = Coffee is pleasing to the students (The students like coffee).

See if you can find the indirect object pronoun for vosotros (2nd-person, plural) and use it in a similar sentence.

The vosotros form is only used in everyday speech in Spain, by the way. Your request (corregidme) is written in this form. The correction I've given you in the past was corrígeme (which is 2nd-person, singular) or corríjanme (which is 3rd-person, plural). The latter is the Latin America equivalent of corregidme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vita32 View Post
Mas café (leccion), por favor! (More coffee (lesson) please!)

No me gusta el café negro por que esta muy amargo. (I don't like black coffee because it is very bitter.)

Yo tomaría el café si alguien habria llevado a me. ( I would drink coffee if someone would bring it to me).

¿Tomarías el café? Would you drink coffee?

¿Gustarías tomar el café? Would you like to drink coffee?

Me esposo y yo tomamos el café por la mañana. My husband and I drinks coffee every morning.

Un mañana, no tengamos el café por que yo olvidé comprar esta. One morning, we have no coffe because I forgot to buy (it) some.

I woul have expressed it in English like this:

One morning, we did not have coffee because I forgot to buy it.

Thank you for your patience in explaining and correcting.
Rusty,
first of all thank you for answering my question and giving me a detailed explanations. This means a lot. I will have to keep reviewing this post until I get it.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: