Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Code Switching mixing two languages in conversation

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Closed Thread

Old July 25, 2013, 10:21 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Code Switching mixing two languages in conversation

En mi casa se ​​habla español e inglés. Aveces solo español y aveces solo ingles pero algunas veces nos mezclamos español e inglés. Me preguntaba si alguno de ustedes hagan lo mismo.

At home we speak Spanish and English. Sometimes only Spanish and sometimes only English but sometimes we
mix both languages. I was just wondering if some of you do the same.

In linguistics, code-switching is switching between two or more languages, or language veraity, in the context of a single conversation. Multilinguals—speakers of more than one language—sometimes use elements of multiple languages in conversing with each other.

Among my friends that speak Spanish and Italian we mix those two languages.
Entre mis amigos que hablan español e italiano mezclamos los dos. (With English thrown in there. sometimes.)

They say that todo esto is very natural entre bilingual speakers.

Dicen que todo esto es muy natural entre los hablantes bilingües.
¿Qué les parecen? Have you heard of the term "code-switching"?
This is something done between bilingual or multilingual speakers.

Last edited by Villa; July 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old July 25, 2013, 02:38 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
What's really interesting is when you switch languages and you don't even realise.
Old July 25, 2013, 03:46 PM
Emerald

Liquinn3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
What's really interesting is when you switch languages and you don't even realise.
Yup. I agree. I find when I speak at the 'La ruca'. (Is Ruca a Spanish word). I think it means hut... I find I'm speaking Spanish and little English in the conversation. That could be why watching the Spanish TV is different when I speak Spanish to people since they only speak Spanish on the Spanish TV.
Old July 25, 2013, 03:47 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
I've certainly been in conversations where the participants have code-switched. It seems to be related to having different first languages, and especially related to having weaker second languages.
Old July 25, 2013, 09:24 PM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjt33 View Post
Estás en lo cierto pjt.

Mi esposa hispana parlante seguía poniendo más y más palabras en inglés en sus conversaciones conmigo a través de los años. Luego, cuando ella comenzó a ver más novelas en español ella comenzó a hablar más puro español. Esto es el valor de ver telenovelas en español.
Old July 25, 2013, 09:56 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn3 View Post
Yup. I agree. I find when I speak at the 'La ruca'. (Is Ruca a Spanish word). I think it means hut... I find I'm speaking Spanish and little English in the conversation. That could be why watching the Spanish TV is different when I speak Spanish to people since they only speak Spanish on the Spanish TV.
According to Spanish dictionary a ruca is an old sick horse, but in Caribbean American Spanish it often is a derogatory word for a very old woman, like hag in English. Maybe it means hut too somewhere in the Spanish-speaking world.
Old July 26, 2013, 12:18 PM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
According to Spanish dictionary a ruca is an old sick horse, but in Caribbean American Spanish it often is a derogatory word for a very old woman, like hag in English. Maybe it means hut too somewhere in the Spanish-speaking world.
La ruca is Mexican slang and means:

Loose woman, girlfriend. Old woman. From Mexican Spanish slang.
Hands off! She's my ruca.
Mi esposa cubana que sabe de Mexican slang dice que no se usa en Cuba. Ella fue a una escuela mexicana por cinco años y vivió en Mexico y California con muchos mexicanos. This is slang and you usually get a laugh when you use this term.
Old July 28, 2013, 01:59 PM
Opal

Xilea is on a distinguished road
Hi, Villa

I did few corrections in your text, and now I´m telling you my opinion about this thread.

I think you are very lucky, because you can practice spanish everyday and you can also practice "code-switching". In my case I can´t, because my family and friends don´t speak other language. Sometimes I know an english word which express better a concept than word I´m using in Spanish, then I said: "English Language has a specific word for this and it is...." But, only few times, because my English knowledge is not enough.

However, I believe it is a positive exercise,because mind gets used to think in two different languages at least. By the way, once time I listened to a friend that he was aware of his bilingualism when he realized that he had dreams in two different languages, and it is a"code-switching" too, isn´t it?.

Cheers,

En mi casa se ​​habla español e inglés. A veces (Aveces) solo español y a veces (aveces) solo inglés, pero (algunas) otras veces (nos) mezclamos español e inglés. Me preguntaba si alguno de ustedes hace (hagan) lo mismo.

At home we speak Spanish and English. Sometimes only Spanish and sometimes only English but sometimes we
mix both languages. I was just wondering if some of you do the same.

In linguistics, code-switching is switching between two or more languages, or language veraity, in the context of a single conversation. Multilinguals—speakers of more than one language—sometimes use elements of multiple languages in conversing with each other.

Among my friends that speak Spanish and Italian we mix those two languages.
Entre mis amigos que hablan español e italiano mezclamos los dos. (With English thrown in there. sometimes.)

They say that todo esto is very natural entre bilingual speakers.

Dicen que todo esto es muy natural entre los hablantes bilingües.
¿Qué les parecen? Have you heard of the term "code-switching"?
This is something done between bilingual or multilingual speakers.
Old August 12, 2013, 09:00 AM
Opal

Native Language: American English
difinturGM is on a distinguished road
Seems that switching languages during a conversation could lead to a more precise converse?
Old August 12, 2013, 09:48 AM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by difinturGM View Post
Seems that switching languages during a conversation could lead to a more precise converse?
Hola difintur. Good point. Also it's a cultural thing. Wherever there are
two or more languages going on there will be code switching. In Italy near the Austrian border there is a bilingual city called Bolzano where Italian and German are spoken. On the other extreme Italy has a region that borders France and they are bilingual there. In Belguim you have French and Dutch speakers. Spain has Spanish and Catalan and borders France.
In the U.S. California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas border Mexico and of course the U.S. is the second with the most Spanish speakers in the world.
The trick of course is to also be able to speak correct Spanish and English when speaking to people who are not bilingual.
Closed Thread

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: