Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Pen pals?

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old May 14, 2009, 01:40 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Pen pals?

Do you think that having a pen pal or a key pal is a good way for learning a language? Does anybody here ever had a pen/key pal?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:23 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Absolutely. They teach some uses of language that one doesn't learn in the classroom and they can solve doubts immediately. Besides conversation with people who shares interests and views makes learning more natural and more relaxed.
Some technical advantages added, like using a microphone and a camera, make practice a lot more fun and fruitful.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:34 AM
Emerald

Native Language: American English
Fazor is on a distinguished road
I've never had a "pen pal", but I thought about it. Honestly though, with the availability of the internet, it's easier to find places like this to converse with people in other countries.

It would be neat to find a chat room or something though, where you could hold actual conversations (or, in my case, attempt to).
Old May 14, 2009, 12:07 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
deborahj is on a distinguished road
pen pals

I think a pen pal is a great way to help improve language learning. I also agree with you Fazor, a chat room would be an excellent way of practising speaking the language we are learning.

Do any exist?
Old May 14, 2009, 12:26 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahj View Post
I think a pen pal is a great way to help improve language learning. I also agree with you Fazor, a chat room would be an excellent way of practising speaking the language we are learning.

Do any exist?
Buena pregunta, Miré por algo, pero no encentré ninguna
Old May 14, 2009, 12:52 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
What's a key pal? I've only heard of pen pals.
Old May 14, 2009, 02:01 PM
Davidísimo

Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahj View Post

Do any exist?
I've been exploring the possibility of adding one here, but I don't have a solution yet. (Plus I would need a much beefier server to support it).
Old May 14, 2009, 02:54 PM
Emerald

Fazor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
I've been exploring the possibility of adding one here, but I don't have a solution yet. (Plus I would need a much beefier server to support it).
They actually added one on the Astronomy forum I use that is run off the software's servers, thus doesn't add any traffic to your own server.

I can get the info for you, if you're looking. I will say though, as a long-time user of internet chat (IRC, Web-based, Clients like Yahoo! or AIM), I wasn't terribly impressed by this particular software. It's biggest downfall is a lack of any real ability to moderate the chat room.

The other problem it could run into on a site like this, is that it has built-in censoring software that includes head-scratchers like "Hitler", and also parts of words contained in other words. For instance, if I said "I went to class" it could pick up on the last three letters. And instead of just astrix'íng them out, it'd change it to a less offensive word. The message would then become something like "I went to clblue."

The censorship software could really wreak havok on words in another language, as I'm fairly sure it's only set up with an English dictionary.

So, it doesn't really get a ringing endorsement from me, but it's an option.
Old May 14, 2009, 03:16 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Do you think that having a pen pal or a key pal is a good way for learning a language? Does anybody here ever had a pen/key pal?
Well, I think that the way or device that can help you with your learning is indifferent, because if you read books and your improve your English or skills of the way that you can do it then I think that you will learn anyway without of the help of some software or device, but I think that if you use the pal to learn the language it's ok, I never have used the device, in fact I haven't any pal jeje, but the computer has helped me too much with my learning about all the internet has been my way to learn the language than in a school, but anyhow I think that if you use the pal can help you with fast searches in the internet whenever you are in that moment, whereabout you are, I think that you have more possibility with your technology that has your country, here at Mexico there are equipment also exit the technology but I feel that it even is very precarious.
Old May 15, 2009, 03:45 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Well, I think that the way or device that can help you with your learning is indifferent, because if you read books and your improve your English or skills of the way that you can do it then I think that you will learn anyway without of the help of some software or device, but I think that if you use the pal to learn the language it's ok, I never have used the device, in fact I haven't any pal jeje, but the computer has helped me too much with my learning about all the internet has been my way to learn the language than in a school, but anyhow I think that if you use the pal can help you with fast searches in the internet whenever you are in that moment, whereabout you are, I think that you have more possibility with your technology that has your country, here at Mexico there are equipment also exit the technology but I feel that it even is very precarious.
Crotalito, I think you didn't understand me. A pen pal is "un amigo por correspondencia", but in this case I was talking about a pen pal for learning languages. So, there is someone who writes letters to you, for instance, in Spanish, and you write letters to him/her in English, and each other make the corrections.

@Jchen, they are new words for me, too, but I think that a Key pal is a friend who uses the keyboard (as pen pal is a friend who uses the pen for writing). I want a key pal.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: