Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary > Idioms & Sayings
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Bugger that.

An idiom is an expression whose meaning is not readily apparent based on the individual words in the expression. This forum is dedicated to discussing idioms and other sayings.

Old March 04, 2013, 09:34 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Bugger that.

Hello,

Today when I was check my wall in the facebook I could see a commentary from a person from Australian country and well she was writing something that she has happened to her car well for not give you more drag one's feet to this business.

She wrote the following when I told her that Mexico is worst the steals, and she answered me with the follow phrase for that reason I don't make drag one's feet this topic,

She answered me

Gee bugger that

When I saw that commentary I left me perplexed with the commentary, because I didn't understand anything about the commentary, then I did a little search in the internet and the same local dictionary here and I was blogging in others forums you know trying to know what exactly what does it means, but I didn't find the answer yet.

Please if you may give me the translation of the phrase and what does't it mean by phrase or word, I will be grateful with your suggestions above.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 04, 2013, 10:07 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Today when I was checking my wall in the Facebook I could see a comment from a person from Australian country. and well She was writing about something that had happened to her car. Well, I'll spare you the details.

She wrote the following when I told her that it's worse in Mexico, where cars are stolen, and she answered me with the following phrase. that for that reason I don't make drag one's feet this topic,

She said, "Gee! Bugger that. "

When I saw that comment, I was perplexed by it, because I didn't understand anything about the comment at all. then I did a little search on the internet and the same local dictionary here and I was blogging in others forums; you know, trying to learn exactly what exactly what does it means, but I haven't found the answer yet.

Could you please give me the translation of the phrase and what does't it means, word by phrase or word? I would be grateful.
The phrase is shortened a bit, and I added some punctuation to help you out.

Gee! = euphemism for 'God!'
Bugger that. = That's a bugger. = That's too bad.

Careful! There's another meaning for 'Bugger that', but she was not using it that way. If you don't want to do something that someone has told you to do, you can reply with 'Bugger that!' ('P*ss off!, or stronger language'). It's vulgar when used that way, and may also be said 'Bugger off!'. This is Australian and British slang. It isn't used in the United States.
Old March 04, 2013, 10:31 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
The phrase is shortened a bit, and I added some punctuation to help you out.

Gee! = euphemism for 'God!'
Bugger that. = That's a bugger. = That's too bad.

Careful! There's another meaning for 'Bugger that', but she was not using it that way. If you don't want to do something that someone has told you to do, you can reply with 'Bugger that!' ('P*ss off!, or stronger language'). It's vulgar when used that way, and may also be said 'Bugger off!'. This is Australian and British slang. It isn't used in the United States.
Thank you for the corrections, I could see that I'm worse in my skills than before.

Do you think that I'm worse in my language than before?

And thank you for your help.

Yes I was checking my wall, I don't know why I write only check maybe, I was in other place when I was redacting this post, it's clear that I have lose the practice, because I don't practice this language with anyone only in some many opportunities that I have with my customers, but that is not enough for me.

Well the post that I decided to write as you could see, it's about a conversation that I had with a friend in Facebook, so she told me the happened with her truck or car really I don't know the kind to car, whatever, the important at all this the that she wrote gee bugger I think she was trying to say god **** for had seen her car stole in the park car, already she has a car that was stole with any thief, and she used that expression as a insult, I think in that moment, I understand her point.

Because I had in the same situation before any thief in my city stole my car and really that make me upset so much that I screamed mothe...... fuc,, well you know.

It's normal.

Now that I know what it means, I'm going try to understand her more, so she and me together we can get a conversation more understanding it.

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; March 04, 2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: