Old September 13, 2008, 05:15 PM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
Noche blanca

Hoy es la noche blanca en Madrid. It's this 'newfangled' thing that we've been having for the past three years, I would say. I'd really love it if my kids were older or my Mum offered to babysit, but she usually prefers having the 'children' on Sunday. Typically, I learned about it from an American friend who's been an ex-pat for years and who told me exactly a year ago.
Do you know what I'm talking about?
Google away, guys. But I'm sure Sosia can give you a textbook explanation. ( I used this smilie because I couldn't think of any possible combination to express jealousy) Well, I guess the green does the trick.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 13, 2008, 11:26 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Hmmm, encontré referencias a "noche blanca" y "noche en blanco" en internet. Lo que encontré de noche blanca fue que es una fiesta en Roma el 8 de septiembre. Así que me quedo un poco
Old September 13, 2008, 11:56 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
In really, I don't arrive understand you, because the word Noche Blanca is used in my country as Night Christmas, then the White night is Christmas, but at least I heard this in my country, I don't know how the people called the white night referring to other meaning about it, and I have a question for you, you comment in your last post that your mun or mother that lastly it's the same, then your mun offered you as babysit or you was a babysit before in your youthfulness, in really, I continue very confuse about it, then if you can explain me of a better way, I'll be glad for you.

Have a good weekend.
Old September 14, 2008, 03:44 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
Noche blanca ó noche en blanco: An all-night event made in Madrid, one night a year.
Lots of street performance (I think near 300 differents) and all the museums open & free till 2 in the morning. It's rather common in other european capitals.

Saludos
PD: "pasar la noche en blanco" means not to capable of sleep all night.
Old September 14, 2008, 11:18 AM
The Rebel Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomisimo View Post
Hmmm, encontré referencias a "noche blanca" y "noche en blanco" en internet. Lo que encontré de noche blanca fue que es una fiesta en Roma el 8 de septiembre. Así que me quedo un poco
Te quedaste en blanco.
No me extraña. Es que te lo dije mal. Es la noche en blanco, no la noche blanca.
Old September 14, 2008, 11:23 AM
The Rebel Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
In really, I don't arrive understand you, because the word Noche Blanca is used in my country as Night Christmas, then the White night is Christmas, but at least I heard this in my country, I don't know how the people called the white night referring to other meaning about it, and I have a question for you, you comment in your last post that your mun or mother that lastly it's the same, then your mun offered you as babysit or you was a babysit before in your youthfulness, in really, I continue very confuse about it, then if you can explain me of a better way, I'll be glad for you.

Have a good weekend.
Crotalito, dije que no me importaría ir al teatro o al cine el día de la noche blanca (ahora acabo de ver que se puede decir de las dos maneras; thanks Sosia) si mi madre se quedara con los niños. Pero normalmente lo que hace es darles de comer el domingo y nosotros vamos al cine a ver la primera sesión (sobre las cuatro).
Y que conste que todavía estoy en la flor de la vida.
Old September 14, 2008, 11:29 AM
The Rebel Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosia View Post
Noche blanca ó noche en blanco: An all-night event made in Madrid, one night a year.
Lots of street performance (I think near 300 differents) and all the museums open & free till 2 in the morning. It's rather common in other european capitals.

Saludos
PD: "pasar la noche en blanco" means not to capable of sleep all night.
Like the very famous Edinburgh festival that takes place every August. When I was fifteen I visited the town and I remember we went to see the Tatoo (military 'dance' with guys in kilts doing lots of acrobatics). Frankly I don't remember much, only that it was too long for my liking but the castle was beautiful.
Old September 15, 2008, 02:55 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Is there any special reason for noche en blanco? Where did it come from?
Old September 15, 2008, 04:52 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Mary, I'm sorry if I don't understand you but still I don't understand a lot word in the English and I got it this in your last post if I'm in a mistake please correct to me.

'newfangled' thing that we've been having for the past three years, I would say. I'd really love it if my kids were older or my Mum offered to babysit, but she usually prefers having the 'children' on Sunday

There in that text I got it that your mun offered as babysit (Niñera) and that you have had for three yeas ago in some thing newfangled that I don't understand as well, at least I tried of understand you, I'm sorry.
Old September 15, 2008, 05:47 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
I saw a little bit about it on TVE internacional. Madrid was open all night, and there were life presentations throughout the city. Principal buildings were lit up in innovative ways, and the Prado was open late. It must have been wonderful!

Tags
noche blanca, noche en blanco

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: