Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Pretérito/Imperfecto

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old November 25, 2012, 12:55 PM
Opal

mebemelissa is on a distinguished road
Pretérito/Imperfecto

I have a worksheet from my Spanish class with sentences that we have to decide which verb form to fill in, but there are a few I'm not sure about.

Velazquez generalmente iba a las calles y pintaba a las personas que (ver).
^ I thought this one would be preterite, but it could be imperfect because he saw the people many times...

(Ser) un día hermoso.
^ I thought preterite because it was talking about one day, but descriptions of the past are imperfect.

El Greco (estar) sentado en una silla y no (trabajar) ni (dormir). Me dijo que la luz (molestar) a su luz interior.
^ I wrote estaba because it was a description, but I'm not sure about that and I don't know what to do for the rest of them...

¿Ayudame?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 25, 2012, 01:33 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
The central idea that distinguishes the preterite from the imperfect is completion (preterite) versus continuation (imperfect). My comments are clues about what else to consider when making your choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebemelissa View Post
I have a worksheet from my Spanish class with sentences that we have to decide which verb form to fill in, but there are a few I'm not sure about.

Velazquez generalmente iba a las calles y pintaba a las personas que (ver).
^ I thought this one would be preterite, but it could be imperfect because he saw the people many times... (The entire sentence is about what Velázquez did habitually: he habitually went out to the streets, he habitually saw random people when he went out, and he habitually panted the people that he saw.)

(Ser) un día hermoso.
^ I thought preterite because it was talking about one day, but descriptions of the past are imperfect. (Are you talking about one event [one specific day] that has completed, or are you talking about what the day was like as the context or setting for a different event?)

El Greco (estar) sentado en una silla y no (trabajar) ni (dormir). Me dijo que la luz (molestar) a su luz interior.
^ I wrote estaba because it was a description, but I'm not sure about that and I don't know what to do for the rest of them...
(When El Greco spoke, had he finished sitting, finished not working, or finished not sleeping, or had the light finished bothering him?)
¿Ayudame?

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: