Old January 27, 2022, 07:20 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Huesero

I think it may be a common term for orthopedic surgeon, but does it have a negative connotation?

In English there is a term for someone who pretends to be a physician, but often sells products or services of no likely value or detrimental value. Is there a similar term in Spanish? I know charlatán may defines it, but that covers all fields, not just medicine.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 27, 2022, 09:37 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
A huesero is not an orthopedic surgeon, or any other kind of surgeon or doctor.

These people can be grouped with mystical healers. Not one of them has a medical license. In addition to using rubbing techniques, some offer cupping, water, and fright or laughter treatments.

They offer low-cost healing, but who's to say they really heal anything?
They aren't considered charlatans by those who go to them (including to rid themselves of a curse). But for those who don't believe a (sobador) huesero offers anything substantial, other than (painful) body rubbing and adjustments, they are not recommended.
This Facebook page was interesting. The practice isn't limited to other countries.

Last edited by Rusty; January 27, 2022 at 11:01 PM.
Old January 27, 2022, 12:46 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
I agree with Rusty. Some orthopedists jokingly call themselves "hueseros", but it's definitively a pejorative term when addressed to a professional.
Anecdote: When my aunt broke her wrist, the doctor said she needed surgery. She asked him if she had a chance to see a "huesero" instead. He said: "I am the 'huesero'. And I'm telling you the bone is broken, you need surgery."

That said, a "huesero" has no academic titles or official recognition.
The ones using traditional knowledge learnt from their parents and grandparents the use of manual techniques to help with simple muscle, tendon and bone issues, like a sprain or a wry neck. Many do pretty much what a chiropractor would do, but chances are you'll meet a charlatan mixing in witchcraft, as Rusty said, rather than a traditional practitioner.

There is a pejorative word for a bad doctor, but we tend to use it jokingly most of the time: "matasanos".
- ¿Sigues enfermo? ¿Ya fuiste a ver al matasanos? (Are you still ill? Have you seen the doctor yet?)
- ¿Qué te dijo el matasanos? (What did the doctor say?)
- Fui a ver al matasanos de la escuela. No cura ni un catarro. (I saw the so-called doctor of the school. He wouldn't be able to cure even a simple cold.)

"Charlatán" is a word used to talk about anyone who will try and sell you things that won't work, mostly medicine, but also other kinds of stuff, so it works perfectly for anyone pretending to be a doctor selling miracles.
Old January 27, 2022, 10:44 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Wow! This is interesting. There probably isn't a word for it in English, but there are many practitioners that sell "herbal" remedies on the side.

Rusty, that link was truly amazing. Those guys seem dangerous.

Last edited by poli; January 27, 2022 at 10:50 PM.
Old January 27, 2022, 11:11 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, even though some insurances don't cover chiropractic care, I'd rather go to a licensed DC than take the cheaper way out.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: