Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

A lil' paragraph. Let me know if I'm on the right track. :)

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old December 07, 2010, 03:00 PM
Opal

TreeTruffle is on a distinguished road
A lil' paragraph. Let me know if I'm on the right track. :)

Hay muchas lugares que me gustaría ir. De éstos lugares, me gustaría ir a Perú. En Perú, los podemos ver aves tropical y aprendemos sobre sus ecología y vida historias. El aves son muy interesante y por los estudiando, podemos aprender mucho sobre nosotros y el ambiente.

Ok, I am trying to say.

There are many places that I would like to go to. Of these places, I would like to go to Peru. In Peru, we can see the tropical birds and learn about their ecology and life histories. Birds are very interesting and by studying them, we can learn much about ourselves and the environment.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old December 07, 2010, 04:57 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeTruffle View Post
Hay muchos lugares a los cuales me gustaría ir. De éstos (lugares), me gustaría ir a Perú. En Perú, los podemos ver aves tropicales y aprender sobre sus ecología e historias de la vida. Los aves son muy interesantes y por medio de estudiarlos, podemos aprender mucho sobre nosotros mismos y el ambiente.

Ok, I am trying to say.

There are many places that I would like to go to. Of these places, I would like to go to Peru. In Peru, we can see the tropical birds and learn about their ecology and life histories. Birds are very interesting and by studying them, we can learn much about ourselves and the environment.
Corrections above.
Old December 07, 2010, 05:16 PM
Opal

TreeTruffle is on a distinguished road
muchas gracias!
Old December 07, 2010, 07:46 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Inglés, No hablo español
JosephThomas is on a distinguished road
were these the only possible corrections?
I mean,
could you chose to rephrase the sentences with the same meaning attached?

I am interested in your correcting methods.
Old December 07, 2010, 08:52 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
No, they're not the only possible corrections. I try to keep as much of the original phrasing as possible. This practice somewhat limits the number of corrections that can be made. If I can't make a good Spanish sentence out of the words provided, I add or remove words to make it sound right.
For example, the first correction corrects an adjective (a determiner, actually) that doesn't agree in number and gender with the noun. The next change provides the correct phrase that corresponds to the 'that ... to go to' structure used in the English translation that was provided. Both of these changes are necessary to make the Spanish sentence grammatically sound, using as much of the original wording as possible.

There are better ways to say some of the other sentences, but I chose to leave them as they were, with minor corrections. There's almost always more than one way to something, so another member may want to provide a rephrasing.

I'm not a native speaker, so there are times when I don't recognize that I've used a phrase that just doesn't sound natural to a native speaker. These collocations, as they are called, are the way the language is naturally used. A student of the language (even an old one like me) will sometimes choose words that do not sound natural. This is part of the reason a non-native speaker will say phrases that sound 'quaint', 'funny', or just plain wrong - to say nothing about the accent. When we hear these, we give the correct phrasing, but it's very difficult to explain why 'our' way sounds right and the way it was said didn't quite 'cut the mustard'.
Old December 09, 2010, 04:27 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Yes Rusty.

Sometimes that happening to me, because it's hard to understand some many phrase wrote for American speaker.

For example the first time I couldn't understand your phrase (They're not only the possible corrections).

Well just I have search the word in a translator of my election, in essence, I choose the Google translator, and I copied and paste your phrase in the software and the result given me was (no es posible sólo correcciones)

Because even I continue without understand your phrase.

Please if you can explain me better the translation, I will be grateful with you.
Old December 09, 2010, 05:28 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Crotalito: La traducción de la frase de Rusty es "No son las únicas correcciones posibles".
Quiere decir que hay otras formas de decir las cosas, aparte de la que él propone.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: