Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

¡Los españoles hablan tan rápidamente! ¡Qué difícil comprender las palabras!

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old August 12, 2012, 08:57 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Filipino
Coffee Kitten is on a distinguished road
Unhappy ¡Los españoles hablan tan rápidamente! ¡Qué difícil comprender las palabras!

I'm listening to a Spanish language mini-course from the Independent UK, and, oh, it's so difficult to understand the Spanish sentences when spoken at a normal pace!

When I'm familiar with the words, I can understand on my own what is being said, but only (a) after pausing to "decode" the syllables and translate it in my head, wherein I miss the next sentences being said, or (b) when spoken more slowly.

So to those who understand rapidly-spoken Spanish sentences (esp. to those who learned it as a foreign language... but native speakers' responses are very welcome too!), how did you learn to understand rapidly-spoken Spanish? Any advice for newcomers?

Thank you!

Last edited by Coffee Kitten; August 12, 2012 at 09:08 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 12, 2012, 09:09 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Creoqueescuestióndepráctica.

I.e.,

Creo / que / es / cuestión / de / práctica.

If you are starting, you should get someone who can talk to you slowly, or even with a recorded program, stop and listen again, until you can recognize each sound segment...

I don't think there is a special secret, besides getting more and more acquainted with the sounds of the language... and don't try to follow an actor like Cantinflas delivering his speech at 150 miles an hour, but rather get some kid stuff like "Barrio Sésamo" where they go, "vamos a cantar la canción del 1" "Uno, uno, uno ¿cuánto es uno?"
Start building from the simplest and practice, practice and practice some more.

Like a violinist... David Garret breaking the violin playing record did it by practicing again and again... Same with any language...
Old August 12, 2012, 10:42 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English
caliber1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
Creoqueescuestióndepráctica.

I.e.,

Creo / que / es / cuestión / de / práctica.

If you are starting, you should get someone who can talk to you slowly, or even with a recorded program, stop and listen again, until you can recognize each sound segment...

I don't think there is a special secret, besides getting more and more acquainted with the sounds of the language... and don't try to follow an actor like Cantinflas delivering his speech at 150 miles an hour, but rather get some kid stuff like "Barrio Sésamo" where they go, "vamos a cantar la canción del 1" "Uno, uno, uno ¿cuánto es uno?"
Start building from the simplest and practice, practice and practice some more.

Like a violinist... David Garret breaking the violin playing record did it by practicing again and again... Same with any language...

JPablo- I agree. I have been increasing my comprehension by listening to different people. The same thing can be said by two different people and one will sound very clear while the other sounds like he's talking in a different language than English or Spanish. I have a couple people who I talk to regularly in Spanish and they have helped me a lot. Just keep practicing! Good luck
Old August 12, 2012, 11:05 PM
Diamond

That's right, it happens in the other direction as well... when I first heard someone talking American at their normal pace, after having heard a lot of Frenchglish, Germanglish, Spanglish... or even some British... I thought I had to begin all over again... But one gets used to it, and one can ask politely to clarify or repeat, and people will generally help you...

Yeah, good luck, and may the force be with you!
Old August 13, 2012, 11:17 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
For me it was a lot of practice and a lot of asking people to say it again or to say it a little more slowly. Sometimes I just couldn't get it at all. Especially the time that the 5-year-old son of one of the maids of my host family asked me the same question several times before my host mother took pity on me and interpreted for him: "I said to you why are you like the old grandfather in the field who doesn't understand when people talk to him?"

My ability to understand normal-speed speech got better, eventually.
Old August 13, 2012, 09:46 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Filipino
Coffee Kitten is on a distinguished road
No magic formulas, then? Just kidding. Thanks! I'll just keep listening and practicing.
Old August 13, 2012, 11:54 PM
Diamond

Well, you have,

¡Abracadabrapatadecabra!

And

¡Agárrameesamoscaporelrabo!

(How is that for magic formulas and practice?)
Old August 14, 2012, 02:29 AM
Opal

Profesoradeespañol is on a distinguished road
This happens to me in English sometimes. I just keep on listening, but I don't know how much movies I have to watch to understand natives when they speak with each other. I am a little frustrated. I can't go to USA or Great Britain and spend there a lot of time trying to improve English and I don't know if I can speak like a bilingual just watching movies and listening and reading. I want to pass a Proficiency test, but I don't know if I can do it on my own. Have you got some suggestions?
Old August 14, 2012, 08:45 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Profe, I think that even a few days visiting the UK or the US can help at least a little, especially if you have some local friends who have some time to play tourist guide, or if you can find a short language course that fits your level of English skill. You might also think about what other opportunities you can create to spend time with native speakers. For example, is there an expatriate US or UK community in your area where you might find acquaintances who are happy to get to know local people? Can you arrange your work to have 2 or 3 weeks free for a visit to the UK or US, and can you find a short course for advanced students that fits your free time? Do you have room in your home to have a tenant who is visiting from another country for a time while learning Spanish and who might appreciate being able to relax occasionally and speak English for a while? Can you take a leave from your teaching work for somewhere between 2 and 6 months to take a temporary job in the US or UK that provides a work visa or work permit?
Old August 14, 2012, 09:03 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
Sue is on a distinguished road
Could you find a native english speaker to phone or Skype and spend some time speaking English and some Spanish to help both of you?

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: