Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar

rr thingy

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old October 29, 2009, 05:39 PM
Emerald

Native Language: British English
brute is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicadeJeep View Post
Thank you.

What is a "French r"?
To me it is a soft gargling sound

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old October 29, 2009, 07:45 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
ChicadeJeep is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brute View Post
To me it is a soft gargling sound
Oh! I can kind of do that!
Thank you.
Old April 09, 2010, 08:21 PM
Opal

MadreDeLeila is on a distinguished road
RR

I know this post is very old, but I have a useful tip. Saying the word "ladder" several times in a row can help to achieve the trill of the rr's.

I hope this is helpful to someone.
Old September 15, 2010, 06:04 PM
Ruby

Native Language: American English
Feliz is on a distinguished road
Reply to Thread

I just came upon this interesting thread, and have read it all the way through. I read a lot of good advice here that I hadn't thought of before. I'd like to share with you how I overcame my inability to say the Spanish r. To do that, I have to thank my neighbor and his motorcycle. Almost every evening that he was a neighbor, he fine-tuned his motorcycle. What a racket! After a while, in frustration from the noise, I began to mimic the sound that I was hearing just to keep my cool and entertain myself at the same time. The sound that I made was: "rrrrumm, rrrrumm, rrrrumm." I trilled my tongue against my palate like the sound of that revving 2-cylinder motorcycle engine. When it came time to overcome my inability to trill the Spanish r, I remembered how that sound of the motorcycle was much like what I needed. So, now, instead of trying to trill the Spanish r, I trill the air-only sound of that motorcycle engine. When I'm saying Ricardo, for instance, the ear hears "r" but I'm not saying "r." The only actual letters of the alphabet that I'm speaking are i(e), c(k), a, d, and o. So, for me, there is no "r" in the "spoken" Spanish language when I'm trilling the Spanish r. There is just the fluttering of air that sounds like rr or rrrrrr to the ears. Gracias.
Old October 28, 2010, 09:05 AM
Ruby

Dale is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
I have - I had a French girlfriend once. "mon amour" gave me goosebumps.

Eso es tan divertido

He aprendido de este hilo. Gracias.

Old October 28, 2010, 08:38 PM
Ruby

Native Language: American English
Feliz is on a distinguished road
Reply to thread

@Dale: I wondered when you were going to find this thread. When I noticed your great looking icon as a new member, I knew I was in trouble. I hope that you didn't take offense if you read my post. By way of explanation, and if my memory serves me correctly, we also had a 2 cylinder 4 stroke which wasn't as good as his Harley with a 2 cylinder 4 stroke. He just had a loud muffler. The rrrummm really helped me nail the Spanish rr sound though.

Old November 01, 2010, 08:02 AM
Ruby

Dale is on a distinguished road
@Feliz: As far as I can tell, the only thing that loud pipes do is annoy those who have to listen to them...

Interesting that you have discovered another use for them... the RR thingy...

Dale
Old November 01, 2010, 08:23 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Well, if you want to have some "audio" on this "rr" thing, you can listen to Carlos (Spanish) and David (who, while shows a bit of his American accent, does the "r" and "rr" correctly.)

(Quiéreme/borra el dolor/no quiero llorar/regresa a mí...)

(Hope this helps!) (Otherwise, just enjoy the music!)
Old December 03, 2010, 12:44 PM
Opal

Native Language: English (USA)
Jessicake is on a distinguished road
I still don't have it down, but I've managed to do it a couple of times (I just started practicing this morning!). Adding a very quick D sound sort of helps with getting the hang of it. Instead of saying "practice" try "pdactice." (I wouldn't rely on that though.)
Old December 14, 2010, 08:55 PM
Opal

pierrre is on a distinguished road
Mastering or even learning a foreign language as an adult takes considerable effort. It is not just a walk in the park. I practised rolling that double r so much that my Venezuelan friend told me that I was double rolling even the single rs. How can a learner avoid practising or rehearsing an incorrect pronunciation is something I would really like to know? Thankful for any assistance.

The audio from you tube would no doubt have provided excellent practice. Unfortunately, it is blocked because of copyright restrictions in Trinidad, West Indies. Effort appreciated though JPablo. Any other suggestion for the Caribbean enthusiasts?

Last edited by Rusty; December 14, 2010 at 09:04 PM. Reason: merged back-to-back posts

Tags
pronunciation, r vs rr, rr

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: