Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

How do you say...

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old July 20, 2011, 10:34 PM
Pearl

SPX is on a distinguished road
How do you say...

This is just some random stuff that I'm trying to figure out how to say. Anyone feel free to help me with any of all of it.

1. How do you say that you "do" or "practice" something. For instance, "I practice karate" or "I race cars" or "I fly planes." Also, is this different when it refers to sports, like "I play basketball" or "I play hockey"?

2. How do you say that something "looks" a certain way. For instance, "He looks crazy," "She looks sad," "The car looks like it's in bad shape." I guess this could also be "to seem," which it seems like I learned at some point, but I have forgotten.

3. What is the phrase that means "to mock"/"to make fun of" etc. Use it in a sentence.

4. How do you say "I write for" i.e. "I write for a magazine", "I write for Newsweek" etc.

5. Is there Spanish slang for "bad"? i.e. Instead of saying "that's bad" you say "that sucks"? This is based on a real-life experience. I was talking to a Spanish-speaking friend of mine and her phone was breaking up in a serious way. And all I could say was "Tú teléfono es malo." But I would have loved to have been able to say, "Your phone sucks."

Any insight on the grammar would also be fabulous.

Last edited by Rusty; July 21, 2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: was a merged post - comment from OP was to move the thread to 'Grammar'

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old July 21, 2011, 12:27 AM
Emerald

Luna Azul is on a distinguished road
1. Practico karate
Compito en carreras de carros/automóviles
Vuelo/piloto aviones (verbo "pilotar)
Juego al baloncesto
Juego al Hockey

2. (Él) parece loco
(Él/ella) parece/se nota/se ve triste
El carro parece/se ve en mal estado/se nota que el carro está en mal estado
(the second sentence changes construction as you can see)

3. Burlarse/mofarse/reírse de alguien o de algo = Los chicos se burlaron/mofaron/rieron de los pantalones del maestro.

4. Escribo para una revista - Escribo para Newsweek.

5. Tu teléfono apesta. The way I'd normally say this is "¡Qué teléfono tan malo tienes!" or "deberías cambiar ese teléfono" or something like that

Old July 21, 2011, 01:10 PM
Pearl

Awesome. Thanks for the response.

Regarding "Practico karate." Wouldn't that mean "practice" in the literal sense, i.e. to do something to get better at it? I'm thinking more along the lines of how a dentist "practices dentistry." That is, it is something that he does. That is, not literally to "practice" karate, but to "do" karate.
Old July 21, 2011, 01:32 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
"Practicar karate" (or "kárate" in Spain) is not like "practicar la medicina" but it's not "practise makes you perfect" either. It's more like "exercise; put into practise what you have learnt".
Old July 21, 2011, 01:43 PM
Pearl

Ah, thanks. I think I understand.

So if I said, "Practico karate," then a native speaker would understand that to mean, "Karate is an interest of mine, it's something I'm involved in, it's something I do regularly". . .?
Old July 21, 2011, 02:28 PM
Diamond

Yes, "ejercitarse", "cultivar una disciplina" and "poner en práctica lo aprendido" are what encompasses "practicar un deporte": train regularly, learn and be abode by the rules and philosophy of the sport, always use what you have learnt and also improve your skills continually. "Practicar" has many meanings, the same way "practise/practice" has, but I'm not sure they are 100% the same. "Practicar" involves performing activities, going beyond pure theory and being the embodiment of professions and disciplines: "Conozco a uno que practica la medicina. Es cirujano y hoy practicó una incisión con un escalpelo".
Old July 21, 2011, 02:47 PM
Pearl

Okay, thanks. That's very helpful.

At the same time practicar also means "to practice" in the usual sense of trying to get better at something, correct?

That is, you could say, "Practico karate todos los dias" and it is correct, right?

Last edited by SPX; July 21, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old July 21, 2011, 02:51 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
Yes, "ejercitarse", "cultivar una disciplina" and "poner en práctica lo aprendido" are what encompasses "practicar un deporte": train regularly, learn and be abode by the rules and philosophy of the sport, always use what you have learnt and also improve your skills continually. "Practicar" has many meanings, the same way "practise/practice" has, but I'm not sure they are 100% the same. "Practicar" involves performing activities, going beyond pure theory and being the embodiment of professions and disciplines: "Conozco a uno que practica la medicina. Es cirujano y hoy practicó una incisión con un escalpelo".
¿Uds. no usan bisturí?
Old July 21, 2011, 03:17 PM
Emerald

Luna Azul is on a distinguished road
Alec's answer was thorough and to the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post

At the same time practicar also means "to practice" in the usual sense of trying to get better at something, correct?

That is, you could say, "Practico karate todos los días" and it is correct, right?
Yes, that is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
¿Uds. no usan bisturí?
Sí, "bisturí" también se usa. Ambas palabras son correctas.

Old July 21, 2011, 03:22 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post

That is, you could say, "Practico karate todos los dias" and it is correct, right?
Yes, but I'd say "practico karate" and "entreno todos los días", "hace una semana que no entreno pero desde luego sigo practicando karate" or "hace mucho que no entreno y le he perdido un poco la práctica, pero toda mi vida he practicado el karate", sort of riding a bicycle <It's difficult to me convey the nuance in English>

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
¿Uds. no usan bisturí?
Yes, but "escalpelo" is a sort of "bisturí" and much similar to English scalpel. While giving examples I rather choose terms that are similar in English as this allows to give complex examples to intermediate students and even to beginners.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: