Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Other Languages > Other Languages

Learning Italian if you already speak Spanish

Being the language lovers that we are... A place to talk about, or write in languages other than Spanish and English.

Old March 27, 2013, 11:57 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suavemente View Post
Villa.... Your post is golden. Thanks for the in-depth analysis.
Grazie Suavemente. Me encanta tu nombre, a proposito/BTW.

Quando cammino per le strade d'Italia penso spesso/frequentemente che se stanno parlando lo spagnolo o l'italiano.

Cuando camino por las calles de Italia pienso a menudo/frecuentemente si están hablando el español o el italiano.

When I walk the streets of Italy I often/frequently think if they are speaking Spanish or Italian.

La lingua spagnola e la lingua italiana sono fratelli/sorelle. Entrambi provengono dalla stessa madre.
La loro madre è la lingua latina. Tu parli l'italiano, Suavemente?

La lengua italiana y la lengua española son hermanos/hermanas. Ambos proceden de la misma madre.
Su madre es la lengua latina. ¿Hablas italiano, Suavemente?

Last edited by Villa; March 27, 2013 at 12:16 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 27, 2013, 06:01 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
I notice, that in Italian, often the accented syllable is the one third to the last. Is there a rule about this? Should I assume that in most multi-syllabic Italian words that the third-to-the-last syllable is the one that gets the accent?
Old March 29, 2013, 12:37 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
I notice, that in Italian, often the accented syllable is the one third to the last. Is there a rule about this? Should I assume that in most multi-syllabic Italian words that the third-to-the-last syllable is the one that gets the accent?
No, poli. Lo stress in parole italiane di solito cade sul secondo-a-ultimo sillaba. Lo stesso che con le parole spagnole.

The stress in Italian words usually falls on the second-to-last syllable. The same as with Spanish words.

Esempio/Eemplos: casa CA-sa forma FOR-ma, evento e-VEN-to, persona per-SON-na artista ar-TIS-ta, monumento mon-nu-MEN-to, guida GUI-da, domani do-MA-ni, pro-BLE-ma, Marco MAR-co, bambino bam-BI-no etc. etc.

Take a look at an Italian book, magazine or anything written in Italian and you will se that most Italian words like Spanish words have the spoken accent on the second-to-last syllable.
So you can see amico that most Italian words follow the same stress pattern as Spanish.

Now check this out. Are these Italian or Spanish words:
telefono, numero, rapido, America, epoca, palido, parrafo, animo, catalogo,
matematico, lampara, dentifrico, decimo, idolo, fabrica...

These esdrújulas words or words with the stress on the third to the last syllable in Italian do not take a written accent but are spoken with the same stressed syllable as in Spanish. ¡Imagínese!

número, teléfono, rápido, América, época, pálido, párrafo, catálogo, ánimo,
matemático lámpara, dentífrico, décimo, ídolo, fábrica ...

With written Spanish words that have the stress on the third to the last syllable you get
a written accent. (teléfono) Same word as in Italian but it is not written with an accent.
Seems Spanish is better in that sense.

As for Italian words with the stress on the fourth to the last syllable it is about the
same number in Spanish.

dígamelo, enséñamelo, llévatelo, cuénteselo, muéstremela, devuélvamelo, mándenselas...

Last edited by Villa; March 29, 2013 at 01:46 PM.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: