Old October 21, 2008, 02:54 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
Diez y cinco

Algo me pasó anoche. Hablábamos de una cantidad de algo, y mencioné que teníamos 16, pero me había equivocado- teníamos sólo 15. Así que yo, acabando de decir dieciseis, me iba a corregir e iba a decir quince. Nada más que cuando empecé a hablar, me di cuenta que dije "diez y cinco". Lo corregí en el mismo instante (aún mientras salía de mi boca ya me di cuenta del error), pero me hizo pensar que no importa que tan bien hablamos un idioma no-nativo, nunca tendremos la misma facilidad para hablar que tenemos con nuestra lengua materna. Food for thought.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old October 21, 2008, 03:00 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Yes, sometimes I have thought it, although you write very well Spanish, How many times you have writing Spanish, or better said, How much time you have knowing Spanish.?
Old October 21, 2008, 03:01 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Hmm...I don't understand you...the title is 10 & 5....
Let me guess what you are saying...um...I don't understand.
what are you trying to say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Yes, sometimes I have thought about it, although you write Spanish very well. How many times you have written in Spanish, or better said, how much time long have you knowing n Spanish.?
Just making some corrections.
Old October 21, 2008, 09:09 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Ok, thanks for your corrections.
Old October 22, 2008, 12:39 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Irish-Canadian English and Andalusian Spanish.
Planet hopper is on a distinguished road
Mr T,

Pasa lo mismo con los native speakers, o BCs (born citizen). Ellos tambien se equivocan con numeros. En español se puede decir 'veinte y catorce' o 'diez y cuatro' para hacer una broma sobre numeros.

Esta pasando lo mismo con todos los idiomas, la tasa de natives/speaker esta cayendo, en el caso de ingles está más acentuado todavia. Se dice que en 100 años todos hablaremos 'Panglish'

(From The Daily Telegraph)

English will turn into Panglish in 100 years

English as it is spoken today will have disappeared in 100 years and could be replaced by a global language called Panglish, researchers claim.
New words will form and meanings will change with the most dramatic changes being made by people learning English as a second language, says Dr Edwin Duncan, a historian of English at Towson University in Maryland, in the US.
According to the New Scientist, the global form of English is already becoming a loose grouping of local dialects and English-based common languages used by non-native speakers to communicate.
By 2020 there may be two billion people speaking English, of whom only 300 million will be native speakers. At that point English, Spanish, Hindi, Urdu and Arabic will have an equal number of native speakers.

Dr Suzette Haden Elgin, a retired linguist formerly at San Diego University in California, said: "I don't see any way we can know whether the result of what's going on now will be Panglish - a single English that would have dialects... or scores of wildly varying Englishes, many or most of them heading toward mutual unintelligibility." How long will it take to find out? "My guess, a wild guess, is less than 100 years."

(From The Daily Mail)
How English as we know it is disappearing ... to be replaced by 'Panglish'

by DAVID DERBYSHIRE

It is English but not as we know it.
A new global tongue called "Panglish" is expected to take over in the decades ahead, experts say.
Linguists say the language of Shakespeare and Dickens is evolving into a new, simplified form of English which will be spoken by billions of people around the world.
The changes are not being driven by Britons, Americans or Australians, but the growing number of people who speak English as a second language, New Scientist reports.
According to linguists, Panglish will be similar to the versions of English used by non-native speakers. As the new language takes over, "the" will become "ze", "friend" will be "frien" and the phrase "he talks" will become "he talk".
By 2010 around two billion people - or a third of the world's population - will speak English as a second language. In contrast, just 350 million people will speak it as a first language.
Most interactions in English now take place between non-English speakers, according to Dr Jurgen Beneke of the University of Hildesheim, Germany.
By 2020 the number of native speakers will be down to 300 million. That's the point where English, Spanish, Hindi-Urdu and Arabic will have the same number of native speakers, according to predictions.
As English becomes more common, it will increasingly fragment into regional dialects, experts believe.
Braj Kachru, of Ohio State University - one of the world's leading experts in English as a second language - said non-native English dialects were already become unintelligible to each other.
Singaporean English, for instance, combines English with Malay, Tamil and Chinese and is difficult for English-speaking Westerners to understand.
"There have always been mutually unintelligible dialects of languages such as Arabic, Chinese, Hindi and Latin," he said. "There is no reason to believe that the linguistic future of English will be any different."
At the same time as new dialects develop, global English - or Panglish - will become simpler.
Unlike French - which is jealously protected from corruption by the Academie Francaise - there is no organisation to police the English language.
Linguists say Panglish will lose some of the English sounds which non-native speakers find difficult to pronounce. That could see the "th" sounds in "this" and "thin" replaced by "z" or "s" respectively, and the short "l" sound in "hotel" replaced with the longer "l" of "lady".
Consonants will also vanish from the end of words - turning "friend" into "frien" and "send" into "sen". And group nouns like "information" and "furniture" - which don't have plural versions - could vanish, so that it may become acceptable in Panglish to talk about "informations" and "furnitures".
Non-English speakers often forget the "s" at the end of third person singular verbs like "he runs" or "she walks". In Panglish, people may say "he talk" or "she eat".
Suzette Haden Elgin, a retired linguist formerly at San Diego State University in California, said the future of global English was unclear.
"I don't see any way we can know whether the ultimate results of what's going on now will be Panglish - a single English that would have dialects but would display at least a rough consensus about its grammar - or scores of wildly varying Englishes all around the globe, many or most of them heading toward mutual unintelligibility."
Within 100 years, it should be possible to known which way English is heading, she added.
One of the most famous examples of a language that fragmented is Latin.
By AD300, a new offshoot of Latin - "vulgar Latin"- was being spoken by the masses with its own grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation. Over the next 500 years it split into increasingly regional dialects. By AD800 had evolved into a series of mutually unintelligible languages, the forerunners of modern Italian, French and Spanish.
And Latin and English themselves are both offshoots of a much older language, Indo-European, which split some 4,000 years ago, giving rise to Celtic, Greek, Slavic, Indo-Iranian and other branches.
Old October 22, 2008, 05:29 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Language is a growing and changing thing. It has never been better documented than it has been in the past eighty years with the advent
of sound in movies. I just recently saw a great movie called Public
Enemy 1931. I certainly understood the movie's English, but I was
conscious about how English has changed since the time the film was made.
Old October 22, 2008, 03:01 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
I don't think English will be replaced by Panglish.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: